Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #1

Chevy 2500 Duramax

Hey Guys, I'm about to pull a trigger on a 2012 Chevy 2500 with 22,000 miles(1 owner, all service records). I'm coming from a Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi, she is a good truck but definitely struggled up the hills. We also found a toy hauler we like but it is a travel trailer toy hauler. Love the floor plan and it weighs 9600lbs dry, its a heavy one. I don't imagine the Chevy will have any issues towing it but we currently have a lite 5th wheel and not sure I want to go back to a bumper pull. Any one out there pulling a heavy TT with a Chevy or similar diesel truck? Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks!
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #2

Look for a 3500. The difference is load carrying capacity. The 2500 can run out of capacity real fast. Heck my 2004 D/A scaled ready to go at 7500 pounds with a 9200 GVWR it left only 1800 pounds for hitch/pin weight. I realize the newer 2500s have higher GVWR, but they likely also weigh more.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Look for a 3500. The difference is load carrying capacity. The 2500 can run out of capacity real fast. Heck my 2004 D/A scaled ready to go at 7500 pounds with a 9200 GVWR it left only 1800 pounds for hitch/pin weight. I realize the newer 2500s have higher GVWR, but they likely also weigh more.
Yep. I can't find any 3500s around town. Really good deal on the 2500 I'm looking at.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #4

Its only a good deal IF you can use it safely without overloading. Buying it then getting a trailer that pushes it into an overload situation forcing you to buy another truck becomes no bargain. If you do get it, dont get a fiver you will not be happy.
Pulling my,13,500 pound fiver was not the issue. Load carrying capacity was always the issue. At the end of three years I had enough and bought a dually
Old 03-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

Back in 2012 I think Chev's 2500 and 3500 were basically the same sans rear suspension.
I normally don't say bag it and go, but in this case I would. Or Timbrens. I did the same with my 2012 Ram 2500. Only difference between a 2500-3500 was the rear springs.
I added Timbrens.
I was towing a 5er so can't comment on a big TH. I did tow a 7300 lb 31' TT with it and it was a non issue affair.
Ironically my 12 CTD CC LB towed my current 5er better than my new 2018 Ram 2500 CC LB 6.4 gasser. The 12 felt more stable even though the new ram has 800 lbs more for payload.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So it only was used an average of 3100 miles a year. That is a lot of sitting around. I would be extra careful of a rig with that few miles.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:51 AM   #7

I have a 2007 2500HD D/A and tow a mid-size fifth wheel (weight a shade over 12,000) with no problem in the mountains of NC.

If you masked the vin number, rear springs, a mechanic could not find the difference between a 2500 and 3500 single rear wheel duramax.

Its different in the gas version of these models. Albeit, the 2500 diesel and gas versions carry the same weight rating, the power train is different, no only the obvious motor and transmission, but the differential. The 2500 duramax carries heavier axles (the same as in the 3500) to handle the increased torque. All 2500 and 3500 have the same brakes and frame.

If you want a truck that will pull like a mule and handle a mid size fifth wheel, with ease, get the Duramax. If you're going down the highway constantly sweating and wringing your hands about possible being a couple of hundred cargo pounds over the sticker weight, go with a 3500+.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
I have a 2007 2500HD D/A and tow a mid-size fifth wheel (weight a shade over 12,000) with no problem in the mountains of NC.

If you masked the vin number, rear springs, a mechanic could not find the difference between a 2500 and 3500 single rear wheel duramax.

Its different in the gas version of these models. Albeit, the 2500 diesel and gas versions carry the same weight rating, the power train is different, no only the obvious motor and transmission, but the differential. The 2500 duramax carries heavier axles (the same as in the 3500) to handle the increased torque. All 2500 and 3500 have the same brakes and frame.

If you want a truck that will pull like a mule and handle a mid size fifth wheel, with ease, get the Duramax. If you're going down the highway constantly sweating and wringing your hands about possible being a couple of hundred cargo pounds over the sticker weight, go with a 3500+.

Yeah I believe the GVWR is all a marketing tool anyway. From what I've read, the only difference on the 2500 and 3500 is the extra leaf spring helper on the rear suspension. Hence, that is why they are almost the exact same price. If there was a 3500 SRW around for a good deal, probably would have bought it.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #9

I dont have a Toyhauler TT, but my TT does have a 11700# GVWR, with a decent amount of tongue weight due to a slideout in the front. My truck has no issues pulling the weight. Yes I have another spring, and they are stiffer but the truck squats about 1 1/2" before the WDH, which isn't really needed for me, however my hitch has integrated sway control so that is why I use it.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

My previous truck/trailer set up was...
2011 F250 CrewCab, Diesel, 4x4, XLT...so not loaded up with a lot of options. Payload was a measly 2148 lbs
Trailer was a tow behind 34 1/2' Toy Hauler...empty was 9000 lbs and GVWR of 13,000 lbs. I ran out of payload capacity....and here is why.

I added a 42 gallon aux tank in the bed and a cross bed toolbox. Then, when I loaded two motorcycles in the garage, along with various other stuff, the tongue weight got down to a hair under 10% of the trailer gross weight, about 12,500 lbs. Trailer sway popped up it's ugly head (it was bad) and the only option I had was adding weight to the front of the trailer to get more tongue weight...which I did and solved the swaying issue. But the bad news was I now was over max payload of the wimpy F250. I got tired of fighting it all and bought a CrewCab Dually.....not so much for THAT trailer (A SRW one ton would have worked), but for future use...a bigger Toy Hauler that would be a 5ver.

I now am utilizing that extra truck capacity with a 15,100 lb empty (20,000 lb GVWR) 44' Toy Hauler.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #11

There is absolutely NOTHING you can do that can alter the Federally mandated sricker that lists the vehicles GVWR. This number is certified to the federal government by the vehicle mfg that it will behave as certified in regards accelerstion, handling, braking and passanger safety.
Can you exceed the mfg GVWR jumber?. Sure. Will it immediately destroy the vehicle? No, not even. Will overloading have any long term effecta on the vehicles reliability? Who knows. If while towing overloaded and you get in an accident will your insurance co deny claims? Ask them. If someone is seriously injured or killed will a lawyer get involved? You bet. Do you want to take that sort of chance with your family? Do you want to take that sort of chances with someone elses family?
Old 03-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
There is absolutely NOTHING you can do that can alter the Federally mandated sricker that lists the vehicles GVWR. This number is certified to the federal government by the vehicle mfg that it will behave as certified in regards accelerstion, handling, braking and passanger safety.
Can you exceed the mfg GVWR jumber?. Sure. Will it immediately destroy the vehicle? No, not even. Will overloading have any long term effecta on the vehicles reliability? Who knows. If while towing overloaded and you get in an accident will your insurance co deny claims? Ask them. If someone is seriously injured or killed will a lawyer get involved? You bet. Do you want to take that sort of chance with your family? Do you want to take that sort of chances with someone elses family?

The ole lawyer/get sued argument....
MFG GVWR is for 'Class Distinction', Registration fees and is not a legal citable offense if exceeded
Stay under AXLE Ratings which are legal citable offense and you will be OK
Insurance Companies might not renew your policy due to an accident but they still pay out for drunks, negligent, recklessness, speeding accidents everyday.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
The ole lawyer/get sued argument....
MFG GVWR is for 'Class Distinction', Registration fees and is not a legal citable offense if exceeded
Stay under AXLE Ratings which are legal citable offense and you will be OK
Insurance Companies might not renew your policy due to an accident but they still pay out for drunks, negligent, recklessness, speeding accidents everyday.

HA!
Unless your towing comercially the axle ratings are also not legally citable either. What law agence is going to pull over a private vehicle for being overloaded a bit? Answer NONE? Except in BC Canada. And FYI the federally mandated GVWR certification is there NOT as a marketing tool. The mfg has had to certify to the feds the vehicle complies like I said. Your choice to ignore it or believe your smarter than all the engineers auto mfgs pay the big bucks to. Not my problem
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #14

Quote:
HA!
Unless your towing comercially the axle ratings are also not legally citable either. What law agence is going to pull over a private vehicle for being overloaded a bit? Answer NONE? Except in BC Canada. And FYI the federally mandated GVWR certification is there NOT as a marketing tool. The mfg has had to certify to the feds the vehicle complies like I said. Your choice to ignore it or believe your smarter than all the engineers auto mfgs pay the big bucks to. Not my problem

I'm a retired auto engineer and Marketing has a big impact on GVWR. As a engineer, it was our job to make sure the frame, brakes and powertrain components were designed well above the GVWR ratings that Marketing wanted, so we would design in a safety factor for each component. You don't really think we would build a truck and then test it to determine what the surprise GVWR number should be!
Axle ratings are also well above the GVWR rating and in commercial vehicles, axle ratings are the pay load determining factor and even they have a big safety factor designed into them.
It would be unusual for a lawyer to accept a overweight case unless it was grossly over the safety factor weight and even then a vehicle manufacture would not share that info because it is not a hard fast number that will break if one more pound is added.
There are many videos of million pound plus loads being moved by trucks across country. It's all about the axles.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy