Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndude View Post

Estimate is about 1K to fix, P&L. I would not want that to happen to me when Towing my RV on the freeway in traffic. This problem affects all Ford trucks 2011-2019. It usually doesn't rear it's ugly head until around 100K or more. Something to do with a Tracker bar, and a few other parts. I'm researching this now.
Steering stabilizer is worn out, depending on how long its been bad it can also affect the track bar ball joint and track bar bushing...or vice versa if the ball joint is bad ( usualy because its zerk gets missed when the grease gun is out) both are realativly easy and can be a DIY if your inclined ...parts $250 or so for all of it
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #86

Asking about truck brand on a forum is like committing intellectual suicide IMHO. Everyone has a well based opinion and like all opinions they are like bellybuttons...all of them have the potential for lint!!! So...seeing as we do have freedom of speech...a comment from the peanut gallery. Today these trucks are supremely complicated and they ALL have issues. For my hard earned...Duramax...never owned one and never will. Ford, looked at an 05 F-450...everyone said run...I did the research, bought it...fixed the typical 6.0 woes and drove it for 100k...no problem. The history of the Cummins B series is legendry! Don't take my words for it (disclaimer, I have had 3...and currently have an '18 3500 srw), just look into it. The Ford is incredibly strong power wise but repairs are way expensive and historically the catastrophic failures pretty much destroy the engine. My money goes to the Cummins. All 3 of my trucks went a grip of miles, towed beyond their limits and never left me on the roadside. Nuff said. BTW ALL these trucks fail primarily due to their emissions equipment. Transmission wise, the GM Allison's are too light for the task, love my Aisin, and hear that people love the new Ford 10 speed. The rest of the truck will treat you like you treat it. Let the flaming begin!!!
Old 07-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #87

How about one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	semiRV022-450x250.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	292997  
Old 07-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
If you buy a Dodge you’ll be buying a car or suv. Dodge no longer makes a pickup truck. It’s a RAM, made by FCA, and has been for several years. Best truck on the road!
Great information. I didn't know that. Looking into that and so far all great reviews
Uncle Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #89

Stay with Dodge, never had a Ford I didn't have problems with
olddog1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harold View Post
Great information. I didn't know that. Looking into that and so far all great reviews
Back in about 2010 the dodges had such a poor reputation they changed the name to try to disassociate with it by changing it to just ram. As far as myself and ALOT of other people are concerned theyll be forever dodges rams. Ive heard the new bronco will be its own brand within ford, pretty much the same thing, but it will always be a ford bronco to alot of people.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
Sir

That’s just not true. Ram offers an amazing truck. It’s definitely not a POS interior. The Laramie Longhorn is one of the most plush interior I have ever been in.

I love Ford too. GM Denali’s are underrated for towing in my opinion. And they all hold their value way above what they probably should.

The last generation Cummins uses the CP3 pump and the new one is the CP4 that Cummins certified.

Cummins reliability is really outstanding across many platforms.

I love Ford too and if I were going to a 450/4500 Ford would be hard to beat for the money. I think you can get one of these cheaper than a Ram.

All these trucks are great trucks and anyone you own you can be proud of today.

Also the Ram dealer has an option to stay w the 2018 and back Cummins. That’s what my dealer is doing to see if there will be many problems w the new motor. I have faith in Cummins, not worried about it.

Also the measure of a manufacturer is will they stand behind their product. Having several FCA products in the family, I can say they have handled everything in a responsible manner.

Peace
Sir,

I stand by my post. At the least Chrysler is and has always been a 3rd rate company in my lifetime. Numerous owners and multiple bankruptcies only serve to prove my point.

In my opinion if you paid as much for a comparably equipped Fiat / Dodge / Ram as you would for a Chevy or Ford you got taken. Hopefully at least you got a kiss.

I hope the fancy interior serves you well at resale time. Engine aside I'm thinking the ancillary factors will cost you plenty.

I drank the Chrysler kool-aid courtesy of Iacocca in the late seventies and it did not go down well.
3putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #92

Thought about a Silverado?

Several years ago I was at a Winnebago Grand Rally and was parked next to the biggest fifth wheel I had ever seen. It was huge. He was towing with a Chevy 5500. I would love to have one of these beasts but... Anyway he gave me the lowdown on why he chose what many deem an unusual choice. Turning radius was amazing. Mileage, better than my 1500. And there was really no limit on what he could tow. Why limit yourself to a small pickup from alternate sources when Chevy makes a very capable tow vehicle which will literally turn circles inside their competition? This is not a sponsored answer.
chdeatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #93

Here is something I came across that was posted on TDR first. How did FCA go from worst to the first?

https://www.autonews.com/commentary/...go-worst-first
Old 07-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Here is something I came across that was posted on TDR first. How did FCA go from worst to the first?

https://www.autonews.com/commentary/...go-worst-first
Paid and sponsored review. No credibility.
3putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #95

3putz - that is an awefull long grudge to hold. I know, because I hold that same grudge. As a young poor man I drove Dodge cars. As soon as I was making ok money I swore I will never drive a Dodge. To this day no Dodge cars for me.

Today's Ram trucks can change my mind. But now Ford and GM have also upped their truck game. I think the 2020 Ford is top dog but Ram and GM are only a tiny bit behind.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #96

My opinions and experience with 2012 F-350 CCSB SRW 6.7—yours will vary.
OP should drive them all and pick the one he likes the best. They all use standardized tow rating methods and can be compared. Most trucks on the road depends on the state—never saw so many RAMs as in Wyoming, and Fords all over FL with the RV crowd. As stated, and as scary as it sounds, Ford cab off is designed that way from the factory—not just an after-thought. One of the design goals of the 6.7 in 2011 was to minimize cab off maintenance. Just a few years ago, Chevy dropped the CP4 and RAM switched to it. Fact of life—it is there to stay. Current advantage Ford is aluminum body, powerful reliable engine, 10 speed transmission, electric assist power steering that is getting very good reviews.

Any solid front axle vehicle will be subject to Death Wobble including RAMs, Fords, and Jeeps. Worn out parts are going to propagate it, and a good dampener is mandatory. On Ford the jack rod is not always the culprit—I had worn tie rod ends that caused it. Ford Super Duty OEM front end linkage has NO zerks—it’s just worn parts and lack of maintenance that cause the wobble. Yes, it’ll scare the devil out of you when it happens.
LenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #97

But wait, there's more--
Back in the early part of this decade several engine manufacturers were trying to meet the diesel emissions rules by using lots of EGR without going to DEF. CAT quit the Class 8 business when they couldn’t make it work, International pressed on almost bankrupting the company before giving up. They could get close, but never quite make it. Engine power and fuel economy also suffered. Ford and Chevy went with DEF which allowed them to reduce EGR levels for more power and better fuel economy. Cummins had some credits for over achieving emission levels in prior years that allowed them to stick with EGR in 2011 and 2012 in pickup trucks. Those engines got worse fuel mileage in reviews with distinctly less power output. The other thing that burns fuel is regenerating the soot catcher. The 2008 thru 2010 trucks were new to that game and used too much fuel. Improvements by 2011 helped reduce that consumption. While towing in the summer, my Ford 6.7 rarely regenerates.

Speaking of power, the Ford 6.7 has always matched or exceeded the Cummins 6.7 within a short while of the latest RAM ratings jump. But, the Cummins historically (and currently) has distinctly less HP while running close in torque. Torque is what maintains highway speed pulling a load while HP is what accelerates up to speed and pulls mountains. So, given the numbers in recent years I had a hard time believing that RAM outpulls Ford. Chevy doesn’t try as hard to keep up.
LenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:55 PM   #98

The new steering in the Ford needs to be experienced. It acts more like rack and pinion in the tracking down the road. The steering is also lighter so it is much easier to drive. I went into my test drive thinking meh...but within a mile I noticed the ease of driving and the smooth power. If you use too much go pedal as you turn you will spin a tire.

As far as emissions go - in 2020 the system is dialed in better than previous years. The higher fuel pressure means a cleaner burn means less regens which helps the whole system.

I liked my 2012 Ford SuperDuty, I see a big improvement in my 2017 SuperDuty and and now another big improvement in the 2020 Superduty.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, ford