Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #1

Class A Non-Commercial Pre-Trip

I have my Class A non commercial scheduled for May 18th. I am driving from SoCal up to Fresno since they were the only ones with open appointments. Thats roughly 500 miles round trip. Due to the cost of the Class A driver I hired to go with me, the fuel and the time to get to Fresno and back, I want to make sure I have my bases covered.

The videos I found on Youtube really focus on Semi trucks and not RV's. I have the DMV RV handbook in front of me and it shows what I need to check for the pre-trip. My question is exactly how is this done? Is there a certain order? Truck on or off? Am I carrying a tire pressure gauge and checking all 12 tires in front of them? Laying on the ground to see the backs of the tires and wheels? How in depth is this and who has done it recently? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
59Bisquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #2

Knowing what you drive will sure help with answers-- for example if you have A diesel pusher with air brakes, there as a separate pre-drive check for them.

Heavy trailer completely different.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Knowing what you drive will sure help with answers-- for example if you have air brakes, there as a separate pre-drive check for them.
I have a 2016 Ram dually pulling a large bumper pull toy hauler. Its an Attitude 32IBG +3 that is 39.5 ft long overall and 14k+ lbs. No air brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1572270697964.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	328294   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210513_123040.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	328295  

Old 05-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #4

You need a class a for that in Cantifornia?
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #5

Yes... Bumper pull travel trailer over 10k lbs or 5th wheel over 15k lbs. Mine is 14k+.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #6

Wow they have you guys out there by the short ones! You have my sympathy. I could tell you what a commercial class a pretrip inspection is but you don't have 90% of what is inspected. Good luck on it.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:55 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was at the same point as you are 2 years ago. I had my permit in hand but could not find a class A driver to help me. One thing lead to another and the 6 months ran out on my permit. I was really bummed out but I need to start the process again.. I already had the restriction 41 up to 15k which was ok for my previous rig but not my current rig at 16k GVW. Not that its right but nobody I speak to about this has gotten their non commercial class as well. I had also read on forums that most fail the 1st trip due not knowing the ins and outs of the pre inspection and the loading dock back in exercise.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #8

I got my Non Commercial A License in 2014. Actually the Utube videos explain the pre-trip very well, and other than the air brake portion, the pre-trip for the RV is very similar to the Commercial pre-trip. You don't have to physically check the tires or oil etc, but you do have to describe the process of doing it. Start at the very front of your tow vehicle and work your way from there inspecting the lights, front suspension, bolts etc, to the engine compartment explaining all processes for checking engine oil, power steering, brake fluid, radiator and hoses, belts etc, also explaining while doing this you are checking for any leaks, loose components etc. Work your way to the drivers side wheel well and explain your process for checking the tires, brakes, lug nuts. They are looking for you to explain what you are looking for such as loose or missing lug nuts, damage to the tires, suspension, leaking shocks, broken or cracked windows, leaf springs, frame, all the way down one side of the tow vehicle including the hitch, down the drivers side of the trailer, across the back, and back up the passenger side.

One thing to keep in mind is that a safety inspection will be done by the examiner before you start your test. They will check registration, insurance, windows, seat belts, that all lights work, tire tread, doors close and lock, etc. Any item flagged on the safety inspection, and you will not be allowed to proceed with your test. Another thing is that they will check your Class A co drivers license to check that he does have a Class A.

Be prepared is the best thing to do. I thought the Pre-trip was the hardest part of the test, and the skills/road test was pretty easy. On the road test watch the road signs as you drive around, as they may ask you what the last sign said that you just passed.

If I was closer to you I'd be glad to be your Class A Co Driver at no charge. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Rich
Old 05-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
California makes it difficult regarding the test. If they had some sort of appointment mechanism (for a fee) that allowed a tech to come out to your house for the pre-inspection + driving skills or best is to eliminate the requirement for a Class A driver to accompany the applicant. It could be a don't ask don't tell which I think somebody said Texas allows that. I think that would encourage a lot of people to get the correct license. I can attest to the fact that I could not find a CLass A driver help me. Obviously many guys have found ways to find them but just not easily. Maybe they could even raise the restriction 41 up to 17k vs 15k which was fairly routine to get the restriction 41.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #10

Thanks for the help guys! As stated, I have a class A license holder going with me. He stated the same as you guys. I will memorize the list and have him quiz me on the way up. I will report back on how it goes.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where are you staying in Fresno?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #12

Not staying in Fresno. Gonna leave early... get up there for the test and then roll it home. Its going to be a long day, but I have to work the next morning.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Bisquik View Post
Not staying in Fresno. Gonna leave early... get up there for the test and then roll it home. Its going to be a long day, but I have to work the next morning.
Wow that's going to be a looong day.

Which DMV office are you going to? Google maps shows a couple in Fresno.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Bisquik View Post
Thanks for the help guys! As stated, I have a class A license holder going with me. He stated the same as you guys. I will memorize the list and have him quiz me on the way up. I will report back on how it goes.
So what is the requirement for an out of state driver? Can they drive on a license that is legal in their state?

In Minnesota a class C is good for a single unit vehicle up to 26,000 #. I've always wondered what a "single unit" is. Is a 7,000# pickup pulling a 7,000# camper a single unit?

But the next step is a class B which only says a single unit vehicle over 26,000#

I have had a Class A CDL for 40 years. Even though I quit truck driving years ago, I keep paying the high renewal rate just in case I need it. It's a bear to get a class A from scratch.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, class a, class a non commercial