Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2022, 12:21 PM   #1

Close to deciding TV

We're getting close to ordering a new TV. My current 5er is not the issue. Our future upgraded 5er (probably used) will max out between 15k -16,350 lbs, but that's not till the new truck is here.

Our plan (God willing) is to sell the house late spring and full-time for about 4 years. Then we would be longtimers with a new home base. I'm looking at the Ford CCLB, possibly a dually, with a 7.3l gas motor and 4:30 axle ratio. Ideally, we will travel, and bed down for 1 to 2 weeks, rinse and repeat. I know the engine will do it. I'm just looking for full timers who are using this engine to give their thoughts on it. Good and bad.

I'm not looking to make this a gas vs diesel debate. I'm just hoping to get some insight from others with this same or similar setup. I'm really hoping to find out about grades, fuel range and your driving experience. I'm well aware of the diesel's ability to tow. But I'm leaning away from it for now because of HDFP's, DEF, CEL, etc. This truck will be with me waaaayyyyyyy past any warranty.

Happy trails to all!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
We're getting close to ordering a new TV. My current 5er is not the issue. Our future upgraded 5er (probably used) will max out between 15k -16,350 lbs, but that's not till the new truck is here.

Our plan (God willing) is to sell the house late spring and full-time for about 4 years. Then we would be longtimers with a new home base. I'm looking at the Ford CCLB, possibly a dually, with a 7.3l gas motor and 4:30 axle ratio. Ideally, we will travel, and bed down for 1 to 2 weeks, rinse and repeat. I know the engine will do it. I'm just looking for full timers who are using this engine to give their thoughts on it. Good and bad.

I'm not looking to make this a gas vs diesel debate. I'm just hoping to get some insight from others with this same or similar setup. I'm really hoping to find out about grades, fuel range and your driving experience. I'm well aware of the diesel's ability to tow. But I'm leaning away from it for now because of HDFP's, DEF, CEL, etc. This truck will be with me waaaayyyyyyy past any warranty.

Happy trails to all!
Given your future travel plans you want a dual wheel 350 / 3500 of any brand. Considering you maybe traveling for a few years and maybe 8000 miles or more towing you really should consider a diesel, resale value on a diesel truck is MUCH higher when your done with towing. I know Ford has had some problems with the gas version heavy duty 10 speed transmissions (diesel version has been good).

When it comes to 5th wheel and pin weight you need to figure at a bare min 22% of the GVW will get you to a really close real world ready to travel pinweight . Also, assuming your home is now on wheels your most likely going to be even heavier then 22%. 16,500lbs trailer will put you right around 3700lbs of pin weight so check to see how close that puts you with the truck your looking at for payload specs. make sure you figure in hitch, the wife and dog when you look at payload numbers.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
Community Moderator

I purchased a used 2016 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L diesel with 3.73 axel ration with 2000 miles on a lease return that was past its 36-month warranty so bought a $100 deductible 6 yr extended warranty bit did have powertrain warranty. I tow about the same weight trailer and would not want to do that without an exhaust brake, it gets 12 mpg towing and 15 mpg without towing. DEF is not an issue, especially if you plan filling periodically at truck stops with DEF but I also carry a 2.5-gallon container of DEF as a backup. No issues with Check Engine Light (CEL) and do not know what HDFP's are.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:

Happy trails to all!

Oled TVs are great if you can afford one.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:

Happy trails to all!
First of all stop drinking the Blue Kool-Aid!
Traveling full time towing 16,000# 5er with a gas 7.3l engine even with a 10 speed will not be enjoyable.
Ford is the only manufacturer using the Bosch 4.2 HPFP, both Ram and GM have richer due to issues. Ram install it in the Cummins for about two years. They have issued a recall and will be replacing them with the Bosch 3.0 HPFP that is highly reliable.
DEF use a couple gallons every couple months, more is towing more.
CEL’s you will get those about as often on a gas engine as diesel.
Going up steep hills diesel might drops gear or two, to direct drive, gas maybe drop four gears and rev.

Down hills Diesel set the cruse (standard) and the exhaust brake and not need to touch the brakes.

Our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW has a payload of 5,411#, and a towing capacity of 25,225# with 3.73 gears. What is the max towing (pulling) with the 7.3 with 4.30’s.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Oled TVs are great if you can afford one.
HPFP, I hate spell correct!
Old 02-13-2022, 10:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
First of all stop drinking the Blue Kool-Aid!
Traveling full time towing 16,000# 5er with a gas 7.3l engine even with a 10 speed will not be enjoyable.
Ford is the only manufacturer using the Bosch 4.2 HPFP, both Ram and GM have richer due to issues. Ram install it in the Cummins for about two years. They have issued a recall and will be replacing them with the Bosch 3.0 HPFP that is highly reliable.
DEF use a couple gallons every couple months, more is towing more.
CEL’s you will get those about as often on a gas engine as diesel.
Going up steep hills diesel might drops gear or two, to direct drive, gas maybe drop four gears and rev.

Down hills Diesel set the cruse (standard) and the exhaust brake and not need to touch the brakes.

Our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW has a payload of 5,411#, and a towing capacity of 25,225# with 3.73 gears. What is the max towing (pulling) with the 7.3 with 4.30’s.
I'm a Ford guy now for over 30 years, Ram would be my second choice. And yes, the Bosch 4.2 HPFP is worrisome. DEF fluid doesn't bother me, DEF system failures bother me. Just ask the Spartan chassis class A owners out there who are stuck with faulty emissions. I know it's true that you can get a CEL on a gasser. But it won't restrict your speed at the worst possible time.

I get it about a diesel engine. Truthfully, if I was pulling more than 16k or the V-10 was still the only gas option, I wouldn't be asking. And according to the Ford website, the 7.3l gas with the 4:30 gears is rated to 21500 lbs. That is of course F-350.

The 7.3l is different than other gassers out there, I saw that with several video's out there. Specifically the TFL video on the 2020 F-250 up the Ike guantlet. I've towed smaller 9k lbs trailers with a 7.3l at work. That's why I asking others that have one about heavier towing.

I might also get it in a dually, I'm not sure on that yet. As someone else pointed out, a 16k trailer at 22% comes out to 3700 lbs. The SRW version I would order would come in with a 4500lb payload. So a dually isn't necessary unless I add more tools to my travels. Just looking for RV'ers out there towing heavy with this engine.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:35 AM   #8

Like you, I would exchast the possibility of the 7.3 gasser. On YouTube there are probably lots of videos of people towing with it. The 7.3 Godzilla engine will probably do what you want. 'probably'?

I would get a dually for sure. A dually makes towing a 'non-event'. I used a new 2012 F-450 diesel for 6.5 years without any issues. That made towing about as easy as it can be. I would not exclude diesel yet. My 2012 was the 1st generation of the 6.7 diesel, 400HP/800ft.lbs. torque. Now that engine is over 1,000ft. lbs. of torque. I do not know the HP.

A gasoline engine will lose 3% of it's power for every 1,000' of elevation gain. A turbo diesel will lose far less power. Maybe .5% for every 1,000'.

Oh, the 2017 superduty was a redesign. I have a 2017 F-250 that feels more solid than my 2012 did.

I would also consider a used 2017 or newer Ford dually diesel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:47 AM   #9
JDT

This may only be an issue for me but when I ordered our 2020 I seriously considered the 7.3. A number of things steered me to the diesel but refueling gave me the most pause for going with a gasser. Some of the trips we take I have to refuel hooked up even with a 48 gallon tank. I can pull in to almost any place with truck pumps and do my thing. With a gas you will usually have to use the car pumps which can be an issue getting in and out with a big fifth wheel behind you. Yes, I know it is done and maybe not that big of deal but it is/was for me.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:59 AM   #10

First, good luck finding a good, clean truck If you’re going used. I’ve been looking for a while now and you have to act fast if you find one. Ordering is going to take a while as well. Dealers have told me that new Super Duty orders won’t be fulfilled for about a year. GMC told me 6-9 months. I didn’t look at Ram.

I was enticed by the 7.3L Ford but wanted a more relaxed ride in the mountains. I didn’t go with a Powerstroke because of Ford’s lack of support for customers. Ram had the same fuel pump for only two years (I think) and have issued a recall. That alone would make me consider a Ram if I had been interested. I had a GMC on order but kept looking for a used truck and just found a ‘21 GMC 3500 Denali DRW that we’re picking up this week.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-14-2022, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
This may only be an issue for me but when I ordered our 2020 I seriously considered the 7.3. A number of things steered me to the diesel but refueling gave me the most pause for going with a gasser. Some of the trips we take I have to refuel hooked up even with a 48 gallon tank. I can pull in to almost any place with truck pumps and do my thing. With a gas you will usually have to use the car pumps which can be an issue getting in and out with a big fifth wheel behind you. Yes, I know it is done and maybe not that big of deal but it is/was for me.
Was the refueling your major decision? I'm used to gas pumps now with my current 29ft rig. But I appreciate your take on it.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
First, good luck finding a good, clean truck If you’re going used. I’ve been looking for a while now and you have to act fast if you find one. Ordering is going to take a while as well. Dealers have told me that new Super Duty orders won’t be fulfilled for about a year. GMC told me 6-9 months. I didn’t look at Ram.

I was enticed by the 7.3L Ford but wanted a more relaxed ride in the mountains. I didn’t go with a Powerstroke because of Ford’s lack of support for customers. Ram had the same fuel pump for only two years (I think) and have issued a recall. That alone would make me consider a Ram if I had been interested. I had a GMC on order but kept looking for a used truck and just found a ‘21 GMC 3500 Denali DRW that we’re picking up this week.

Good luck with your decision!
Well living in Colorado I get that. You live in the mountains, I'm just visiting. Congratulations on your new truck. I hope you have many trouble free miles!
Old 02-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #14

WOW! I think I'm going to order one and wait! Everyone of those is way over a new Lariat that I would build. That middle ad is over 15k more than new! Thank you for the heads up on those. I only looked at Lariats within 200 miles of me.