Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

C'mon Toyota.....I'm Having Tundra Dreams

We are just in the planning stage for when my wife retires in a couple of years. I am a Tundra fanatic! With that though comes the realization that Tundras don't have the tow capacity or most importantly the cargo capacity that Ford, Chevy and Dodge do.

We are thinking of long extended semi full time travel. Throw in a Golden Retriever, couple of Grandkids from time to time and we will need a decent but not huge size TT. Current Tundras would not fill the bill for us as much as I hate to admit. I love Toyota.......last Toy was a 96 T-100 which I sold last year when it had 265,000 it still would get 20mpg. I bought the Son's 2006 Tundra which he ordered new. It has the 5.7 engine, 115,000 miles on it and looks like it came off the showroom floor just yesterday. I love this Tundra but know it's extremely limited on towing capability.

Why Toyota does not build a 3/4 ton Tundra with towing packages and capabilities like the Ford F-250 is beyond me. It would be a good seller to say the least. I have and will continue to email Toyota on a regular basis for them to build my dream 3/4 ton Tundra ( I can dream can't I)

In reality when the day comes I will probably go with a Ford F-250 Super Duty designed for towing.

I am new iRV2.com.........I LOVE IT!!!!!! I am impressed with the posts and the people! I am new at this and still in the planning and dreaming stage. What a great Site!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

Toyota's a great brand. Hopefully the next gen will suit your needs.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #3

I have owned a 2003 and a 2010 4 runner and now a 2010 Sequoia. I really wanted a Tundra but the Sequoia was more practical for us.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have owned 4 Toyota's as tow vehicles a 90' 99' & 05' 4Runner and now a 14' Tundra. I'll agree with many as far as Toyota being behind the towing capacity race. But I do see a lot of people towing those 34' - 36' trailers with them.

In our search for a new tt that started two years ago I absolutely limited myself to keeping any new RV trailer under 30' max. There were a few in the 31' range, I just had to walk away from.

Ended up with a 28'.5 ORV unit which checked all the boxes. It's a heavy unit for only 28', but towing it back from out west, back to Ohio, the Tundra had plenty of horses. Personally I would rather have a more simplistic drive-train over a new state of the art, high tech one with multiple component systems.

You buy a Toyota for the long term reliability and resale. I'm hearing maybe 2020 a all new Tundra is coming, but until Toyota says that in print, who knows.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #5

I own a Toyota tundra as well. It tows good for a half ton. I know its not a Toyota, but have you seen the new Nissan Titans with the Cummins diesel. At least you have a choice other than Dodge to get the Cummins motor. The salesman said they are a 3/4 ton, but you cant always believe what salesman tell you.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #6

I have had Toyota's, Nissans, Ford's, Honda's. Chevy's, Mitsubisi, Mazda, Lexus, Lincoln and a few others.

The Honda's were the worse. Not surprising the Lexus was the best.

I have had good luck with Toyota, Nissan, Ford and Chevy.

I would not fret too much as trucks today are all built very well. All have powerful engines, solid frames (except Tundra), nice features, good towing. It is not like 15 years ago where one truck was good and one truck is bad. They are all good.

I would not consider a Tundra because of the flexy frame. So there you go.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #7

I'm really hoping Toy will make more and better models for the Tundra. They're really missing the boat on the RV market.
They make a great truck but they need to expand it's market base. If they would build a 3/4 and build it for heavier towing w/out going overboard on price it would be the top four instead of the current top 3 TV's.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #8

Unlike the big three the full size Tundra is not Toyota’s bread and butter. The Tacoma, smaller SUV’s, Camry, and Corolla is their money makers. So obviously they invest in those models. Wishful thinking if your hoping for a 3/4 ton, they’re way behind in the 1/2 ton market. I’ve owned many Toyota/Lexus for the last 25 years. My last truck a 2000 Tundra I drove for 17 years, and no doubt it was a great truck. But this newer model was only produced to compete with the big three, which was their biggest mistake.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I own a Toyota tundra as well. It tows good for a half ton. I know its not a Toyota, but have you seen the new Nissan Titans with the Cummins diesel. At least you have a choice other than Dodge to get the Cummins motor. The salesman said they are a 3/4 ton, but you cant always believe what salesman tell you.

Drill into the specs of the Cummins Titan and you will see that it doesn't really compare to any of the chevy, ram and ford. Sort of a 'tweener of the more capable 1/2 tons and the 3/4 tons on the big three. I don't see the a reason to purchase such a truck.

But some are correct that if Toyota could make a true 3/4 with a bit bigger gasser it would probably take some market share from the Ram, Ford and Chevy 6.2 and 6.4 motors.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At this point there really is only the big 3 American trucks to look at for heavy towing. Nissan is just dipping a toe in the water but the Cummins/Nissan is really not a true 3/4 ton and the weight of the Cummins takes away from the payload.

The biggest factor for me though is that Ford, GM and Ram each produce 10 times the number of trucks and therefore have 10 times the real world data about longevity and capability. That also equates to factory and aftermarket parts and options available. You can find anything you want for an American truck, often on the shelf.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Unlike the big three the full size Tundra is not Toyota’s bread and butter. The Tacoma, smaller SUV’s, Camry, and Corolla is their money makers. So obviously they invest in those models. Wishful thinking if your hoping for a 3/4 ton, they’re way behind in the 1/2 ton market. I’ve owned many Toyota/Lexus for the last 25 years. My last truck a 2000 Tundra I drove for 17 years, and no doubt it was a great truck. But this newer model was only produced to compete with the big three, which was their biggest mistake.
Amen to that!
Old 04-09-2018, 05:26 AM   #12

Ret. LEO......just a word of caution before you get too far along on thinking about an F250 for towing. If you are like many folks, the most popular F250s are...Crew Cab, 4x4, diesel, and Lariat...or higher trim level. That particular truck, set up like I described, will have a horrible payload capacity.....somewhere around 2000 - 2100 lbs. You don't need to ask me how I know, it's experience. Take another F250, make it 2WD, 6.2 motor, regular cab, and an XL or maybe XLT trim, and you will be over 3000 lbs of payload capacity. The point I'm making here is don't make the same mistake that many of us have....thinking a F250 diesel will be a tow monster. You'll run out of payload capacity long before you'll run out of engine power.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #13

I remember more than a few years ago Toyota teased a dually 1-ton with Cummins in one of the big car/truck magazines. A quick search turned up nothing, but I did find something else...

Here's a 1-ton dually toyota.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b868663d203895b5ed6f6255368fb849.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	198375  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #14

Eh, found it, but it wasn't a Cummins, I guess. Instead a Hino 8.0 Diesel. Appeared at SEMA 2007 and got a little more attention from the car news outlets in 2008. In the end though, it sounds like they care little about making a truck for towing. I mean, I hate Toyota/Lexus with a fiery passion anyway, so I don't care. But there ya go...

Ken

SEMA 2007 writeup: https://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/30/...dually-diesel/

and the article in Truck Trend: Toyota Tundra Heavy-Duty Dualie Diesel - Concept Truck - Truck Trend