Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation Colorado/Canyon 8 speed Automatic engines - transmission issue

I have a 2017 Chevy Colorado and really enjoy it. First pickup ever owned, got it only for the new RV lifestyle (two years ago). A few weeks ago heading up the interstate I felt/heard a rumbling noise, it's not the tires, it's something in the drive train. On cruise control or anytime applying power to accelerate or maintain speed. Some describe it as if it sounds like going over rumble strips.

My Colorado is in the shop today, this is a known problem on the 8 speed automatics. The issue is something with the transmission fluid used at the factory assembly, I think it was mentioned it attracts or forms moisture which causes this problem. The fix is the flush the transmission fluid and replace it with something different they are moving to and moving away from what was used at the time of factory delivery. Mine is covered under warranty, there is a bulletin out within GM about this.

If you go on the highway on cruise control and feel a shutter at times, take it in ASAP. I've researched this on the web and have heard stories of torque converters and transmissions. I'm told I will feel the fix immediately and it will take about 200-300 miles to see if the issue is in fact fixed once the transmission fluid propagates completely etc. If it continues then it goes back in the shop and my guess is the next step is going to replace a torque converter or transmission.

FYI
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #2

Thanks Neil, I’ve the Canyon version with the 8 speed and will
keep an open ear for noise.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I've got about 13K miles on my for reference. It just started doing this a few weeks ago.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I have a 2017 Chevy Colorado and really enjoy it. First pickup ever owned, got it only for the new RV lifestyle (two years ago). A few weeks ago heading up the interstate I felt/heard a rumbling noise, it's not the tires, it's something in the drive train. On cruise control or anytime applying power to accelerate or maintain speed. Some describe it as if it sounds like going over rumble strips.

My Colorado is in the shop today, this is a known problem on the 8 speed automatics. The issue is something with the transmission fluid used at the factory assembly, I think it was mentioned it attracts or forms moisture which causes this problem. The fix is the flush the transmission fluid and replace it with something different they are moving to and moving away from what was used at the time of factory delivery. Mine is covered under warranty, there is a bulletin out within GM about this.

If you go on the highway on cruise control and feel a shutter at times, take it in ASAP. I've researched this on the web and have heard stories of torque converters and transmissions. I'm told I will feel the fix immediately and it will take about 200-300 miles to see if the issue is in fact fixed once the transmission fluid propagates completely etc. If it continues then it goes back in the shop and my guess is the next step is going to replace a torque converter or transmission.

FYI
Check out "Coloradofans.com" A must for Collie and Canyon owners

a lot of posts regarding the 8 speed tranny issues as well as other Colorado/Canyon fun stuff
Old 05-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #5

Yes this has been on most of the Facebook pages for sometime now.

From people getting new transmission and torque converters.

A few have had the updated fluid and did it has been fine so far.

Kinda glad I have a 16 with the Duramax

Good luck with the op truck hope it solves your issue.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado, engine, transmission