Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2022, 01:10 PM   #1

Companion or Patriot Hitch

Hello, I have an older Patriot hitch that I use right now with my Chevy but I am getting a new F-350 with the factory prep for the hitch. Should I just get the adapter and use the Patriot or am I better of buying the Companion. I am concerned that the adapter might add too much height to the hitch but I dont really know.

I'd love to hear some advice on this issue.
Cheers.
Kevintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2022, 01:51 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I believe that the Patriot is a rail mount hitch, while the Companion is used with the B&W turnover hitch setup, or a puck setup. I also believe that the head from the Patriot is interchangeable with a Companion base. I would suggest contacting B&W for confirmation.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:34 PM   #3

Yes the Patriot is a rail mount and the Companion fits into the factory pucks. I am trying to figure out if the adapter adds a lot of height to the Patriot. And the heads are not interchangeable. The Patriot lifts off and has built in handles that secure it and the Companion is held with pins.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:04 PM   #4

I used a Reese rail adaptor with my2018 Ram 2500 that had the OEM pucks along with a B&W Patriot. The adaptor added about 2.5" to the overall height.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:07 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't know the specifications on the weight of the Patriot or the Companion puck setup. I have the Companion that I use with the turnover ball. It's a heavy hitch and it does a great job pulling my 5th. I could wrestle it out of the truck myself, but I have an old engine hoist that I prefer to use. The puck style base on the Companion looks like it would weigh less than the base for the turnover ball; and I would think that an adapter for the base of the Patriot would increase its weight.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:38 PM   #6

Demco, Reese, Curt, and Trailer Saver all make the puck to rail adapters. It appears from visuals that Curt may have a lower profile of the three. They have a spec of 2 1/2" high but that looks like the measurement is from the bottom of the puck stubs. An industry standard rail sits 1" off the bed. It looks like you might end up with about one inch of additional hitch lift with the adapter.

New 350 may not sag as much as your old truck. Plus, the stanchions on your Patriot are height adjustable. I would look at how your hitch is set up and if you have adjustment with your pin box mount. New truck is most likely going to need to be dialed in whatever you end up with.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:28 PM   #7

Looks like Iím going to try to sell the patriot and get the companion. Even if I lower my patriot to the lowest setting itís going to be at least an inch higher than the companion. Thatís a lot with these new trucks. My 5th wheel has a rotating pin box so I canít really adjust it.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:14 AM   #8

I have the Companion in an F350 w/factory pucks. Great set up! Any time you can minimize the # of connection points between truck frame and kin pin, itís a good thing to doÖyouíll like the set up and the companion is manageable to remove in 2 pieces by yourself when needed.
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevintoo View Post
Looks like Iím going to try to sell the patriot and get the companion. Even if I lower my patriot to the lowest setting itís going to be at least an inch higher than the companion. Thatís a lot with these new trucks. My 5th wheel has a rotating pin box so I canít really adjust it.
Good choice. I never like the rail adaptor with my Patriot. I had the Patriot for 6 years with a non puck truck so it was the cheapest way to go when using the 2018 over the 2012 Ram. The adaptor is freaking heavy and cumbersome.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch