Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #1

Compare B&W to Anderson hitch

Does anyone have any experience between these two hitches? Traded pickups so I am rid of the Pull Rite hitch, fresh start with new pu
driver106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

Interested in hearing as well. I do love my B&W but the thing is freaking heavy and I cant just leave the hitch in the bed all the time as I use my truck, well, as a truck besides towing the fiver so a significantly lighter hitch would be nice and have been contemplating the Anderson.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

I'm towing a new Riverstone 39FL with a 3500 Ram and an Andersen. I have zero issues with this setup. I've not pulled many miles yet.....about 500, but I really like it.

I like it for 3 reasons:

1: It is light enough that my 65 year old body is able to install or remove the hitch by myself. All the other 5th wheel hitches I've owned needed me and 1/2 the Red Chinese Army to remove.

2: It is the easiest to hitch and unhitch from the trailer of any of my previous hitches. I have no issues getting it lined up. It pops off and on with little to no effort.

3: It seems to me to have loosened up the trailer. My impression is that the truck and trailer operate more independant of each other. The trailer does not feel bound up on the hitch like the more traditional hitch did.

I will never even consider another design as long as I am towing a trailer that meets the design capacity of the Andersen Hitch.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #4

I have the Andersen hitch with a Grand Design 376TH. That is the roto flex and there seems to be a mixed opinion and comments. I have no issue with the unit and it pulled smooth. I did add the safety chains and have the roto flex lock kit but have not seen the need to install. I will probably install the locking bars before next trip and see if there is any change.

The 376TH is a heavy rig and no issues, no damage to the bed. I pull with a long bed Chevy 3500 4x4 Dually.

The fact I can unpin and lift out the hitch, turn the ball over and have a flat bed was a big seller. I also have a 100 fuel AUX tank and needed to find some weight offset that the Andersen gave me.

I also like I can sit in the driver seat and see when the ball is aligned.

I do get a lot of comments of "you are pulling that rig with that hitch".....so far so good and loving it.

Breweraz
breweraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #5

I had the steel version of the Andersen Hitch for just shy of a year when I first purchased my Bighorn. Had quite a few issues with it and finally got rid of it when it damaged the pin box on my fiver and Andersen wouldn't do anything about it.

Biggest issue I had was that all of the pin weight is carried on the two setscrews between the pin adapter ball socket and the pin box pin. Rides on them in a teeter totter sort of fashion. This bent the pin box plate to the point where there was no longer a gap on the back of the pin box adapter and the pin baseplate. Pin box was a lippert 1621HD, pin weight approximately 3800lbs, Total weight 15000 lbs.

I was also having issues with the hitch trying to shift slightly on the truck bed due to the spray in bedliner being somewhat slick. This happened even after they changed the installation procedure to have the hitch torqued down after the weight of the trailer was on the hitch. In trying to figure out what was going on and causing the "Pop" I would sometimes hear I watched the hitch closely and was somewhat concerned by just how much bed deflection would take place on my 2015 Ram 3500. Andersens recommended fix for the "pop" was a rubber bed mat under the hitch.

Final issue was with the pin adapter itself. Twice it got damaged so that the locking pin wouldn't slide when I had the 5er at the dealers. Turns out the ball on the forklift they used to move the rig with wasn't the right size and it hit on the channel for the locking bar. The dealer replaced the pin adapter and changed out the ball on the forklift. I later on somehow put a lip on the adapter channel again myself either doing the unhooking or hooking process when I was camped in a pretty unlevel spot. Was able to sand it off with a piece of sandpaper quite easily, but found it a little concerning.

Replaced the Andersen with a puck mount B&W and find I like the B&W considerably better when it comes to hooking up and disconnecting the 5er. Only downside is the weight. While I can lift it in and out of the truck myself, I tend to have to baby my back in my old age. If I'm at the house I use a cheap chain hoist I put up in my garage to do the installation and removal, which makes it more difficult to use than the andersen was in that respect.
Searching_Ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:29 AM   #6

Here is a thread on an Andersen failure.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-falure.html

I bought and returned the Andersen hitch over a year ago. I was not impressed with the design and the hitch would not adjust low enough to get the nose of the 5th wheel down. The best I could was 2" nose high fully loaded.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #7

wow

first thing its sitting on a very slippery spray in bed liner lots of movement. they recommend using a rubber mat under the hitch for a more secure mount. I'm thinking there was something else in play that is not being stated in this particular situation.even after that failure it is still attached to the truck.
barr0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching_Ut View Post
I had the steel version of the Andersen Hitch for just shy of a year when I first purchased my Bighorn. Had quite a few issues with it and finally got rid of it when it damaged the pin box on my fiver and Andersen wouldn't do anything about it.

Biggest issue I had was that all of the pin weight is carried on the two setscrews between the pin adapter ball socket and the pin box pin. Rides on them in a teeter totter sort of fashion. This bent the pin box plate to the point where there was no longer a gap on the back of the pin box adapter and the pin baseplate. Pin box was a lippert 1621HD, pin weight approximately 3800lbs, Total weight 15000 lbs.

I was also having issues with the hitch trying to shift slightly on the truck bed due to the spray in bedliner being somewhat slick. This happened even after they changed the installation procedure to have the hitch torqued down after the weight of the trailer was on the hitch. In trying to figure out what was going on and causing the "Pop" I would sometimes hear I watched the hitch closely and was somewhat concerned by just how much bed deflection would take place on my 2015 Ram 3500. Andersens recommended fix for the "pop" was a rubber bed mat under the hitch.

Final issue was with the pin adapter itself. Twice it got damaged so that the locking pin wouldn't slide when I had the 5er at the dealers. Turns out the ball on the forklift they used to move the rig with wasn't the right size and it hit on the channel for the locking bar. The dealer replaced the pin adapter and changed out the ball on the forklift. I later on somehow put a lip on the adapter channel again myself either doing the unhooking or hooking process when I was camped in a pretty unlevel spot. Was able to sand it off with a piece of sandpaper quite easily, but found it a little concerning.

Replaced the Andersen with a puck mount B&W and find I like the B&W considerably better when it comes to hooking up and disconnecting the 5er. Only downside is the weight. While I can lift it in and out of the truck myself, I tend to have to baby my back in my old age. If I'm at the house I use a cheap chain hoist I put up in my garage to do the installation and removal, which makes it more difficult to use than the andersen was in that respect.

Best post I've read anywhere about the issues that I foresaw with the Anderson.

Often wonder why people ask if it will affect the warranty when they should be asking how it effects the trailer after the warranty expires.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #9

I have used the and still have the B&W Companion hitch. My setup, at that time, was a 2009 F350, SRW, SD 6.4L diesel and an Alpenlite 31' Augusta RL that was over 10K pounds.
Obviously, with this hitch, you need the gooseneck setup installed on your truck for the Companion to attach to. I have nothing but praise for the unit. It is well constructed, well warranted, easy to install and remove by myself, as the head comes apart from the support brackets for easier handling. I am no spring chicken and past the point of medicare eligibility, being able to install and remove by myself is important as I don't like losing the bed of my truck to a 5th wheel hitch. We have since moved to a class C, but I am keeping the B&W hitch in case anything changes later on. Tha's how good I think it is.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #10

I have a B&W Companion in the F350. It is a great hitch but as others have noted, it is heavy. I am changing from the F350 to a Ram 3500 which will have the factory gooseneck/5th wheel prep. The Companion won't fit. I wish B&W made a different post for it to fit the Ram but as I understand it, they don't. Due to this, I am considering my options on hitches. To complicate things, I am have been considering an air ride of some sort I am leaning toward the Reese Goosebox to replace the pin box on the trailer. This will give me the air ride and all I need in the bed is a gooseneck ball and safety chain anchors. The weight works out to about the same as an Anderson and adding the air ride 5th wheel pin box. It would be far lighter than the Companion hitch and adding the air ride 5th wheel pin box.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm using the B & W but would like to have the Anderson one day!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One word of cution.. Saw an RVer the other day who did not want Rails in his truck bed so he had a "Barker" (I think B&W since they show one just like it) adapter to turn his 5'er into a gooseneck

He did a panic stop and tore it all to... Scrap metal