Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Considering my next truck purchase. Should be a work truck or should I splurge?

And looking at the cost of trucks these days they seem to be totally outrageous. I am thinking that a work truck may be a better solution versus a truck with all the bells and whistle‘s it’s your only will probably use once in a while. Back in the day I can rememberHaving AC in the truck was a luxury. Anyways what are y’all think about a work truck versus hire and truck with Bells and whistle’s that you probably don’t use that much.
Pslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #2

If I were full timing or even snow birding and drove my truck on a daily basis I'd get one semi loaded. Lariat, Laramie, etc.
I don't do that and while we do go kinda often during the camping season my truck is only an errand get'r in the off season.
I went with a base Ram 3500 Big Horn diesel. Nice enough inside and gets the job done.

As you say prices are through the roof. My 19 Ram 3500 books out at around $59KK
thats more than the MSRP was.

Even the bottom end trucks like Ford XL's and Ram Tradesmans are decent enough to be enjoyable. They both can be lightly optioned to look good with some extra features so you don't feel like it's a work truck.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #3

Do you need a heavy duty tow vehicle? Or just a light duty truck for errands and driving around ?

If just for driving around why not check out the new Ford Maverick pickup truck ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:21 PM   #4

get a work truck and add the bells as you like. Everything is plug and play these days. For instance my truck non cruise control from factory. Changed the turn signal switch to one with cruise and bang cruise control. Pay the factory install it or do a little work as you find something else you want. Personally I'd look for a low mileage or well maintained truck and go that route.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #5

I agree with cumminsfan. I like the Lariat, Laramie trim. A middle of the road trim level now. These use to be the top trim levels but not any more.

I test drove a 2020 Chevy with the Custom trim. That is one level up from a WT. That truck was nice enough.

I am not sure how much a Limited trim level is at trade-in but I think it has some value. Maybe 50 to 60% of original value.

The diesel option is 10k. But at trade-in you get 6k more. So to drive a diesel truck cost 4k over how many years you own it
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:28 PM   #6

I could have lived with an XL with some upgrades but the wife wanted a nice truck so we split the difference and got an XLT f250 diesel and am very happy with it.
capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #7

The question I have is how long are you going to own it? more then 8 years get what ever you want. Less then 3or 4 years the resale value on work trucks is not that good and your next trade in value maybe a deal breaker for your upgrade. If your not sure get at a min middle of the road with light options , you can live with out some added dollars on the price tag.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:23 PM   #8

Which way are you leaning? A entry level trim package will have the same frame and engine with a high payload then an upper trim level.

Depending on your use you can pick the options that best fit that use.

Example - if using a goose ball to tow a 5th wheel you would want the bed camera option so you can see the goose ball. Or I like the front camera option when pulling into a parking spot oppisite a Mazda Miata. Without a front camera the Miata disappers over the hood of the truck.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:09 AM   #9

I also agree with Cumminsfan, get a mid trim level, we have a Ram Laramie leather, heated cooled seats, auto wipers and high beams, backup camera, power drivers and passenger seats and keyless entry.
We full time and the Ram is our only vehicle, and drive it everywhere.
If you are looking at a 3/4 ton, skip and get a one ton leaves room to get a bigger trailer without needing a new TV.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslif View Post
And looking at the cost of trucks these days they seem to be totally outrageous. I am thinking that a work truck may be a better solution versus a truck with all the bells and whistle‘s it’s your only will probably use once in a while. Back in the day I can rememberHaving AC in the truck was a luxury. Anyways what are y’all think about a work truck versus hire and truck with Bells and whistle’s that you probably don’t use that much.
You never did say, unless I missed it, what the truck will be used for. There is usually a fairly significant difference in payload capacity between a base model and one that has all the bells and whistles. If towing a trailer and you are close to maxing a truck out, there will be more available payload on a less equipped truck than on a truck that has everything except a kitchen sink....so that should be considered if necessary. If that is not the case, choose whichever one that works best for you.....the base model and lack of some of the "niceties" or full blown loaded up with creature comforts.........or somewhere in between. Just don't forget about what the truck is being used for (towing, hauling, etc) and come up short on that end of things.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #11

Trailer report is approximately 4500 pounds. We would consider ourselves, wanna be part-time weekend Warrior. Don’t care too much about bling in the truck but just wanted to be practical.
So maybe I should rephrase the question as is there truly a difference between a so-called work truck and a lower rate trim level truck as in capability buy upgraded suspension and other parts. Such as maybe a work truck and a LT or they just the same. I hope you understand where I’m going with this.
Pslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #12

There's no difference in drive trains and suspension parts. You can option them differently but normally an XL will have the same everything as a Lariat. Same with Ram and GM
I've had Tradesmans and now a Big Horn Ram. I have the same front and rear suspension parts as a Laramie, etc.

The only time parts change is of you order a package that has different parts like an off road package or in the case of Rams the air suspension. A snow plow package will change the front parts.

It's the reason that the fancier the trim levels the lower the payload capacity.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:03 PM   #13

Lower trim levels is just that. Less bling on the same frame, motor, suspension. Opps suspension on Ram trucks will add air bags on upper trims.

Lower trim levels will have a high payload by a few hundred pounds I think. I think now you can add 30k just in bling. 45k for a WT with little bling and 75k for a Limited trim level with max bling.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Lower trim levels is just that. Less bling on the same frame, motor, suspension. Opps suspension on Ram trucks will add air bags on upper trims.

Lower trim levels will have a high payload by a few hundred pounds I think. I think now you can add 30k just in bling. 45k for a WT with little bling and 75k for a Limited trim level with max bling.
X2.

The answer really depends on you, usage, budget, etc. For trucks, I tend to go mid level as the very plain ones don't have the best resale value and the ones with everything are a bit ridiculous in price.

I too remember when a plain work truck didn't have A/C..... Funny thing now is that you get used to various options; we bought my wife a new vehicle last week and we were a bit bummed that the new one didn't have heated and cooled cup holders like one of the others we were looking at!

Dave

Tags
purchase