Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #15

My understanding is that a true locker can do strange things on pavement.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Had a Detroit in the rear and a spool in the front of my CJ7 .
On the street the rear would lock on sharp turns and chirp the tires.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #16

My current understanding is you drive in 2WD. If you happen to slide off the road then you use your lockers to get unstuck then go back to 2WD once on the road again.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My current understanding is you drive in 2WD. If you happen to slide off the road then you use your lockers to get unstuck then go back to 2WD once on the road again.
The Detroit Locker was not switchable.

It was always sending power to both wheels while traveling straight ahead.

In a turn, the outside wheel turns faster then the inside. The faster turning wheel ratchets ahead of the slower turning wheel, until your out of the turn.

On slippery roads, or off road, and applying power, the spring in the ratchet resists unlocking and both wheels share the power. That can cause the car to go straight ahead, even with the front tires turned.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #18

If its a gas model, I would get the Detroit Trutrac, and 4:10 gears.
I have had this unit in a few vehicles, and it does a good job, and does not require the limited slip additive, due to being gear driven.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #19

Are you SURE it's not a locker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonjon View Post
I have a 2013 Ram 2500 2WD with an open differential. I want to convert to a limited slip (or similar). I called two Dodge dealers in my area. One called Chrysler and said it couldn’t be done. He said, “There is no way you can go from an open rear assembly to a closed assembly.” Another dealer told me that insurance companies would not cover the truck if this was completed and said they wouldn’t do it. Any insights would be appreciated. I thought this was a conversion that was possible.
I am wondering if you are correct on this being an open diff. There are a few different locking axles on these according to my repair info. This could have a type of locking diff called a Trac-rite. It isn't necessarily easy to tell spinning wheels by hand on a lift and there's nothing evident without disassembly. They also have electric lockers, but you should have noticed some wiring in there.

Did you get a dealer to run your VIN and confirm this is a truly open diff?
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The Detroit Locker was not switchable.

It was always sending power to both wheels while traveling straight ahead.

In a turn, the outside wheel turns faster then the inside. The faster turning wheel ratchets ahead of the slower turning wheel, until your out of the turn.

On slippery roads, or off road, and applying power, the spring in the ratchet resists unlocking and both wheels share the power. That can cause the car to go straight ahead, even with the front tires turned.
Had a Detroit Locker in the rear diff on my Bronco
A Detroit Locker will disengage when you take a corner.
That vintage made clunking/banging as it engaged/disengaged and that short wheelbase of the Bronco it would 'skip' a bit sideways
Newer models ----you will know when it engages/disengages but they are no were near as Loud as my older version was

If your 2013 is GAS:
3:73 or 4:10

If your 2013 is Diesel:
3:42 is all that came with

LS was an Option

Your dealer can print out a build report on your truck using your VIN. This comprehensive report lists all of the options that were originally installed on your truck when it was manufactured in its original assembly plant.
**be careful of on-line VIN checks.

This one is a Fiat/Chrysler Autos VIN Check Site
https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I am wondering if you are correct on this being an open diff. There are a few different locking axles on these according to my repair info. This could have a type of locking diff called a Trac-rite. It isn't necessarily easy to tell spinning wheels by hand on a lift and there's nothing evident without disassembly. They also have electric lockers, but you should have noticed some wiring in there.

Did you get a dealer to run your VIN and confirm this is a truly open diff?
This is the best answer. Go to the dealer parts department and have them run a build sheet for the truck. Have your insurance card with the VIN number or take a pic of the VIN thru the windshield. The build sheet will give you all of the info on the truck.

I have an '03 RAM 2500 2wd and it is a basic Tradesman model and has a open differential. Co-worker had (sold earlier this year) an '04 RAM 3500 and it had the AAM version of a limited slip in it. They use rather strange arrangement of helical gears to preform the limited slip duties. Eaton Truetrac is similar to this.

Easiest thing to do IF you actually have an open differential and want to swap is find a 4th gen truck of similar vintage and gearing and swap the entire axle assy and build the brakes when you do.

Setting up differential gears is a black art and if you have someone swap the carrier for a limited slip unit of some sort, find a shop with an excellent reputation of building differentials that can give you references.

Charles
Old 12-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #22
laj

Swapoing center sections is no big deal. All you need is a dial indicator, and about 3 hrs. Done it lots of times. Just make sure your backlash is set, mark the gears with dye, check wear pattern , and set the backlash. it use to be most mechanics could do it. Not anymore. Good luck
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #23

I did run the VIN on fcacommunity and the equipment listing showed Conventional Differential Rear Axle. I confirmed this with the Ram dealer who also stated it couldn’t be done, but whatever. I’m going to run it over to the mechanic after the holiday and discuss the many options you all have provided.
madisonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #24

Put a truetrack in it and drove the hell out of it!
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #25

Quote:
I have an '03 RAM 2500 2wd and it is a basic Tradesman model and has a open differential. Co-worker had (sold earlier this year) an '04 RAM 3500 and it had the AAM version of a limited slip in it. They use rather strange arrangement of helical gears to preform the limited slip duties.
Dodge/Ram uses the 11.5" AAM rear axles in '03 and up 2500/3500 srw Dodge/Rams. My current '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins came with the Trac-rite LSD. This is a helical gear LSD and a piece of shitz IMO.

Great for laying down two long black marks on dry pavement but if your sitting still and one wheel spinning on ice and the other on dry pavement your stuck. BTDT.
Dodge back then Dodge says if this happens apply the E braking till the spinning wheel stops...then the LSD should lock both axles together and move out of the situation.
GM uses the same AAM axle but use the Eaton LSD G-80 option instead.

Maybe I missed it but the OP didn't say if he had the Cummins or a gasser. I've heard a gasser 2500 Ram has the smaller 10.5" rear axle and a Trac-lok LSD. A good 4wd shop should be able to tell what rear axle the OP truck has.

I sure wouldn't go with the OEM Trac-rite LSD if possible.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote