RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #1

Cougar half ton vs Trail Boss 1500

Hi everyone-
RV newbies here. Just took our first trip with our 2019 Keystone Cougar 29 BHS (34 ft, 7000 lbs dry) and 2020 Chevy Trail Boss 1500 6.2L and it didn't go well...

Had some issues with sway on the way up, especially when going around semis or large vehicles. The trip home was awful with swaying when any vehicles went around us. My husband felt like he did not have control of the trailer.

We had minimum gear in the trailer but the black tank was full, others empty. Currently using a Fastway E2 hitch with an Equalizer E4 on order.

Did we just get completely duped by the "half ton towable" marketing as I've read on other posts, or is there more to this that we just don't know? Does the Hitch need to be adjusted? Will the new hitch will solve the sway issue? Do we need to drive under 55mph? Make sure back tanks are empty and put more weight up front? All of the above?? Lol.

We've only had the trailer less than a week, luckily we bought it used. We love the trailer and hope we don't have to get rid of it already but need our family to be safe!
Elishia82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #2

You need the weigh the trailer and tongue weight of the trailer loaded and make sure you have at least 10% but closer to 15% of the loaded trailer the weight on the tongue. And then weigh your truck loaded with all the passengers and gear. Then, look at the stickers on the truck with the capacity specs and make sure you are under on all the specs based on the actual weight of the trailer and truck running down the road. ("Dry weight" is a completely meaningless spec).

But, yes, that is a long, heavy sail rolling down the road and almost certainly too much trailer for that truck. I towed a similar size TT with a 3/4 ton diesel and there were times I needed to slow down to 55ish in the wind and on sweeping downhills to avoid feeling like the tail was wagging the dog. I was close to 10K loaded and generally had 13-1400 lbs. on the tongue. I would personally not enjoy towing that trailer with a 1/2 ton.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elishia82 View Post
We've only had the trailer less than a week, luckily we bought it used. We love the trailer and hope we don't have to get rid of it already but need our family to be safe!
If you really like the trailer, you might take a harder look at the truck and whether it needs to go.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:25 PM   #4

The easiest thing to do is look where the black tank is located. In that model it could be mounted behind the axles. If that is the case that would explain why the sway was worse on the trip back home. My knee jerk guess is there is not enough weight on the tongue. Drain the black tank and see if you can add more weight to the front of the trailer.

The other issue I see is the Trail Boss is set up for off roading which is not best for towing.

The 2019 redesign by GM was a big imporvent. I am thinking your truck can tow that trailer comfortably because it is a much bigger truck than in 2018.

Now, can you take back roads where speeds are 45mph to 55mph? If not, you really need to tow 68 - 72mph to keep up with the Semi's in the right lane.

1. Move more weight to the front of the trailer.
2. Maybe buy the expensive Pro Pride WD hight with sway control.

I will look at the Trail Boss on YouTube to see what is said.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:39 PM   #5

I agree, dump the black tank. If your fresh water tank is in front of the axles, fill it all the way up. Make sure your truck tires are at max cold PSI per the sidewall on the tire.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #6

I looked at the trail boss. It looks like it is lifted 3" from the factory. Typically off road trucks are lifted to get more soft travel going over ruts and rocks. You really do not want a truck that is raised to also tow.

What do you guys think? The trail boss is the wrong truck to tow a big trailer?

A regular GM 1500 series truck might have a chance at towing that trailer but I don't think the trail boss can tow that big of a trailer.

GM probably does make a truck with their heavy duty tow package with the 6.2 liter engine that would tow that trailer better than a trail boss.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #7

34' and probably pretty close to 9k lbs. running down the road. That's a lot of trailer hooked to the bumper on a lifted 1/2 ton. The good news is the engine on that truck is a beast and I suspect based in what I've read a Propride hitch would fix the sway. But not everybody wants to deal with that hitch set up or the cost of it. Although dealing with that hitch set up and cost is probably preferable to dumping the trailer or trading the truck.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:03 AM   #8

Thank you all so much for your input! Since we've already ordered the E4 hitch and can't cancel it, I think we may try it out with an empty black tank driving 55 and under and see how it feels. In the meantime, I've listed it for sale to see if there are any bites 😢
Elishia82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #9

I have heard many truck guys say lifted trucks just arent for towing..but if off-roading more than towing, then he will just need to make as many temporary adjustments as he can for those towing events..and just accept as not going to be ideal. If towing that trailer often, I would take a cpl. inches of lift out and swap tires to some that are a compromise between off road and stiffer sidewall for towing..I really like the falken wildpeak a/t's that are on mine and they can be aired up to 51# for towing...I usually dont go over 42/44..
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #10

Is it swaying or push from passing trucks ? They are not the same.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote