RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #1

Crash test 2019 Chevy Silverado - impressive

A short video on crash tests from the front, the side, and the rear. Typically I only can find the frontal offset crash tests.

https://youtu.be/E_IAzq9P7k8
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A short video on crash tests from the front, the side, and the rear. Typically I only can find the frontal offset crash tests.

https://youtu.be/E_IAzq9P7k8
Did you see where it broke the crash test car on the side impact? How did the gm rate for the passenger? The truck itself looks to have held up extremely well.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

Yes, I saw the wheel come loose from the crash car. The manufacturers are making trucks really solid for the last several years. Even in my 2WD truck that is lower than a 4x4 truck it is still higher than any car and I think I would be safe on a side impact unless hit by a dually truck.

I would like to know the death and injury rates of various cars/SUVs/trucks. I believe trucks are the safest.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #4

It is my feeling the Silverado doesn’t have enough crumple zone. If you watched the next truck the Ford F-250 the front crumpled more, but passenger compartment was still intact.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:31 AM   #5

The high strength steel in the frame helps the truck passenger compartments. I saw the Ram frame in the HD trucks is built with crumple zones. That might be the safest truck.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
The high strength steel in the frame helps the truck passenger compartments. I saw the Ram frame in the HD trucks is built with crumple zones. That might be the safest truck.
Im under the uneducated impression that theyre using more airbags to control occupants. Aanyone ever seen demolition man where the wrecked car puts out a foam that fills the passenger compartment and keeps the occupant safe? Maybe similar idea. Idk.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #7

Agree with airbags helping a lot on crash survival rates. That is probably the biggest factor.

Other factors now are to prevent a crash like auto braking and lane keep assist.

But I have not see any stats to support fewer deaths as the death rate due to traffic crashes has been going up. Now in 2020 I expect a huge decline because of 2020.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #8

That pole side test result is just about the same as any other trucks. F250 also got tested and the pole wonít stop until it hits the frame.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Now in 2020 I expect a huge decline because of 2020.
I just happened to remember hearing this:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/08/...normal-report/

Not at all what I would have expected but I guess 2020 just kicks us in the nuts anyway it can!
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #10

Interesting statistics as people are now driving over 100mph to fight boredom.

I don't think I changed my driving habits but I was driving on I95 just a few days ago in the middle, 80 mph lane. 3 lanes on I95. Right lane is 75mph, Middle lane 80mph, Left lane - too fast. This is in the Ormond Beach and Daytona Beach areas on I95. Same holds true from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach.

To me the death rate should be cut in half with all the new safety equipment that started about 5 years ago in 2015.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Interesting statistics as people are now driving over 100mph to fight boredom.

I don't think I changed my driving habits but I was driving on I95 just a few days ago in the middle, 80 mph lane. 3 lanes on I95. Right lane is 75mph, Middle lane 80mph, Left lane - too fast. This is in the Ormond Beach and Daytona Beach areas on I95. Same holds true from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach.

To me the death rate should be cut in half with all the new safety equipment that started about 5 years ago in 2015.
Lol, ya, that area of 95 is rough to drive. I was pulling the camper at speed limit getting passed like crazy. When we were unhooked i was running with traffic and the truck was screaming going that fast.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:32 AM   #12
IC2

Being mostly 'trapped' at home, have wasted some time watching some of these videos along with some crash videos. For sure these crash tests do give you some idea of crash worthiness of vehicles, but there is too much emphasis on offset crash testing as well as top crumple and side impact. All of these tests are done either at a standstill or with a stationary object.

To my way of thinking, it would be more to the point to do these tests in more real life conditions. That top crumple tells me nothing except that your vehicle may be safe if a building collapse on it, not a wild roll over. The offset crash tests - how many vehicles actually have an accident at 30% offset, say a squared off bridge abutment. Most offset crashes are with another vehicle going at about the same speed though in the opposite direction. Then that side impact - most are something like another driver running a red light or stop sign, In most of those cases, the struck vehicle is at speed and usually spins off the striking vehicle, often hitting something else.

Oh, and the Big Three trucks - they are all better testing then the imports safety wise.

OK, putting my soap box away (until the next time)
Old 01-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #13

With todays safer vehicles can you guys imagine setting the speed limits back to 55mph? Man - that was a crazy slow speed limit. But now I think we havd gone the other way with too much speed. In Texas i think the speed limit from Austin to Dallas or Austin to Houston is 85mph.

When I had a F-450 with 6 speed and 4:30 gears driving solo on I95 was painful. I drove from Palm Coast to Jacksonville a few times on I95. Mostly in the right lane keeping up with the semis - that truck was much happier when towing.

With the stats showing about 100 deaths a day on the roadways the number of injured is way higher but harder to find. I read that the safety equipment and build quality saves people from getting killed but the injuies increase.

So - when driving keep your head on a swivel and watch out for that other guy.

Tags
chevy, test