Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #1

CRAZY! Most overload setup I’ve seen on YouTube

https://youtu.be/u_izZQAetLc

I came across a video that someone post his setup on YouTube. This is beyond crazy IMO.

TV: latest model 4runner 4700/470 lbs capacity. WDH incompatible crossmember bolted hitch receiver.

The 4runner has a 109.8” wheelbase. For reference, a Civic sedan has a 106.3” wheelbase.

TT: unknow year Springdale 2020QB. 4345 lbs dry, 6500 lbs gross. 515 lbs dry tongue.

The dry tongue weight is above the receiver hitch weight limit. That’s before putting on a WDH, which is incompatible with his receiver.

At 00:40, he said the people sold him the trailer said he can’t tow this trailer with this 4runner, and he said “I ignored him anyway”. Just look how much his rear end sagged. And he says his 4runner pulls better than an F150 because some guy at the campsite complained their F150 sway.

Hope he is a good driver, if he get in an accident and have someone injured while towing this trailer, very likely he’s going to spend some time behind bars.

The comment section is even more crazy.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #2

This surprised me because most overload setups were posted on YouTube by bystanders while passing the rig. This guy truely believe his setup is perfect except going thru the Rockies.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #3

LOL..... I wonder if he knows he is supposed to put air in the Firestone bags?

The good news is at night his headlights wouldn't blind me... they'd be shooting well above my truck.

I love his justification by referencing "driveline capability" (whatever that is????)
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
LOL..... I wonder if he knows he is supposed to put air in the Firestone bags?

The good news is at night his headlights wouldn't blind me... they'd be shooting well above my truck.

I love his justification by referencing "driveline capability" (whatever that is????)
I don’t actually care he tows overload. When I see rigs like this on the hwy, I’ll just slow down or pass them quickly. It’s his vehicle and his life, he can do whatever he wants as long as he’s prepared for the consequence, both financially and legally.

The problem is now many people who saw his video think their 4runner or similar vehicles can tow a 26’ long 4500 lbs dry tandem axle TT. Just look thru the comment section.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #5

He's an idiot. Unfortunately, there are plenty more like that out there.

There are people here pushing the same type of logic using a weakly FWD based SUV pulling almost as much. They believe their minor mods turn their FWD based SUV into a tow monster. All we can do is educate them and let them learn from their mistakes. Usually what gets them is when the tow vehicle falls apart or they end up in a ditch.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
He's an idiot. Unfortunately, there are plenty more like that out there.

There are people here pushing the same type of logic using a weakly FWD based SUV pulling almost as much. They believe their minor mods turn their FWD based SUV into a tow monster. All we can do is educate them and let them learn from their mistakes. Usually what gets them is when the tow vehicle falls apart or they end up in a ditch.
It’s funny he try to justify it. Not sure if 12 members are going to listen. He said in the end of the video that he is confident to put his wife and children in the TV, even put the suv more over its payload.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #7

https://youtu.be/NP2zHRdSPOg

This is how a Toyota dealership and an RV dealership try to sell people a Tundra DC and a 10000 lbs 33 ft long trailer combo. This world is crazy.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #8

The worst part of the whole thing is when he says the dealer tried to tell him he didn't have enough truck. Let that sink in
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
I don’t actually care he tows overload. When I see rigs like this on the hwy, I’ll just slow down or pass them quickly. It’s his vehicle and his life, he can do whatever he wants as long as he’s prepared for the consequence, both financially and legally.

The problem is now many people who saw his video think their 4runner or similar vehicles can tow a 26’ long 4500 lbs dry tandem axle TT. Just look thru the comment section.

I care when some idiot like that is barreling towards me at 70 mph on a two Lane road and I have my family with me.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
I care when some idiot like that is barreling towards me at 70 mph on a two Lane road and I have my family with me.
I see these overload rigs a lot in Pennsylvania, probably because we don’t have many mountains here. Surprisingly these people drive quite fast.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
He probably complains about poor fuel mileage at 70mph also...
Stupid is as stupid does.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #12

Once again ytube proves that majority of things posted are by Idiots
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post

Problem if it's not just his life, he wipes out, he's likely going to kill the poor family in whatever car is next to him.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #14

[emoji23] what a hot mess [emoji23]
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote