Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
Point taken but how many full timers take the hitch out of trucks? Is the Goosebox a great option? Yes. Not everybody will go that route. So, then what?
My second choice would be the Andersen hitch, which I've also owned. I don't want too be stuck with the traditional hitch, as I use my truck for other stuff while I'm traveling.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 04:23 AM   #86

"Point taken but how many full timers take the hitch out of trucks? Is the Goosebox a great option? Yes. Not everybody will go that route. So, then what?"

I am a full timer, and I constantly need the full bed for stuff. So, if I didn't have the Goosebox, I would have to take the hitch out.
ScullerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
So a big complaint is that many of the quality hitches are too heavy to get out of the truck. You spend $70K on a truck, $50-$100K on a 5th wheel and up to $4K on a good quality but heavy hitch. How about you scratch together $300 and get an engine hoist. It will reach, handle the weight, can be used for other functions around the garage and is cheap to get the job done.

Attachment 222454

When health issues cropped up for me earlier this year that made manual lifting of my hitch an issue, I seriously considered the engine hoist option. Being I already have a very crowded garage and no good place to keep the engine hoist, I instead ended up putting a bracket on the ceiling of the garage to hook a chain hoist to. The hoist doesn’t take up much room when not in use, but I need to take it down when not in use. With a ceiling over 14 foot tall it means dragging my 12 foot stepladder out to do it. Either option also works good for the generator tool box etc. if you have lifting issues, which in my opinion makes this sort of thing a very worthwhile option.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #88

To me hitch in the bed is minimal prob. The main thing to address in my opinion. Is how much do you value your 5ver. I'm a full timer and I have the monster Trailer Saver TSLB2H. To me the hitch and annoyance is well worth it when it comes to my Teton and the investment it is. Safety factor and cushioned ride protection for the 5ver. No brainer to me.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #89

The Goosebox is a cushioned pinbox/hitch solution, and makes a significant difference over standard, or even the TrailAir. It isn't capable of handling the heavy trailers, so for those, that TS3 is a good choice.

That's one thing not really discussed here so far - once you get into the heavy trailer/pin weights, neither the Andersen or Goosebox will cut it. If I were to move to a heavy trailer, then one of heavy, cushioned pin boxes would be called for, both for my comfort and the trailer.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
The Goosebox is a cushioned pinbox/hitch solution, and makes a significant difference over standard, or even the TrailAir. It isn't capable of handling the heavy trailers, so for those, that TS3 is a good choice.

That's one thing not really discussed here so far - once you get into the heavy trailer/pin weights, neither the Andersen or Goosebox will cut it. If I were to move to a heavy trailer, then one of heavy, cushioned pin boxes would be called for, both for my comfort and the trailer.
Say what?!? What kind of trailer won't cut it? The Andersen Ultimate is rated at 24,000 lbs of trailer weight and 4,500 lbs. of pin weight. What are you pulling?!?
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
Say what?!? What kind of trailer won't cut it? The Andersen Ultimate is rated at 24,000 lbs of trailer weight and 4,500 lbs. of pin weight. What are you pulling?!?
Many of the big trailers exceed 4500 pin weight, I've recently learned. I also like having a bit of extra capacity. If you calculate pin at twenty percent on 24k, you're at 4800. Twenty five percent and you're up to 6k pin.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #92

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
To me hitch in the bed is minimal prob. The main thing to address in my opinion. Is how much do you value your 5ver. I'm a full timer and I have the monster Trailer Saver TSLB2H. To me the hitch and annoyance is well worth it when it comes to my Teton and the investment it is. Safety factor and cushioned ride protection for the 5ver. No brainer to me.
So, did you own a different hitch before the Trailer Saver? If so which one and how is the trailer saver better in terms of the ride / pulling ? If you went from the "cheapest" hitch to the Trailer Saver that's not really useful. I'd like to know how much better it is compared to other high end hitches....cause it is like 3 times the cost isn't it.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
So, did you own a different hitch before the Trailer Saver? If so which one and how is the trailer saver better in terms of the ride / pulling ? If you went from the "cheapest" hitch to the Trailer Saver that's not really useful. I'd like to know how much better it is compared to other high end hitches....cause it is like 3 times the cost isn't it.
I went from B&W to Trailer Saver TS3, no comparison, not even in the same category.

Look at it this way: You may spend an additional half hour, on occasion, dealing with a Trailer Saver's additional weight. Compare that that with the hundreds of hours dealing with a solid hitch beating the stuffing out of you and your gear while towing. No brainer.

Consider the cost: A Trailer Saver is an extremely high quality long lasting, repairable, hitch. It will offer up reduced repairs for both your truck and trailer. The percentage resale after a great run will be higher than a lesser hitch. New truck, new trailer, you won't notice the cost of a TS3.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I went from B&W to Trailer Saver TS3, no comparison, not even in the same category.

Look at it this way: You may spend an additional half hour, on occasion, dealing with a Trailer Saver's additional weight. Compare that that with the hundreds of hours dealing with a solid hitch beating the stuffing out of you and your gear while towing. No brainer.

Consider the cost: A Trailer Saver is an extremely high quality long lasting, repairable, hitch. It will offer up reduced repairs for both your truck and trailer. The percentage resale after a great run will be higher than a lesser hitch. New truck, new trailer, you won't notice the cost of a TS3.
I appreciate your argument that it's a better hitch and your enthusiasm and belief in the product. You state that it will reduce repairs for both your truck and trailer. In theory, that seems to be intuitive, but is there solid data that says the higher end B&W, Curt, Reese or others actually do result in damage to your truck and trailer? I've heard a lot of folks say great things about them...not any that I recall that says they were crap hitches that wrecked their equipment. I'm not saying you aren't correct, I'm just asking if it can be validated.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:08 AM   #95

Quote:
I had a Reese and a B&W companion. I also for a few years tried to justify the trailer saver. When I got my newmar kountry aire. Needed the trailer saver then due to pin weight. The B&w was lacking in pin weight rating at the time. Now with the Teton no question the TS is mandatory. As the Teton is 4525 on the pin empty according to specs in the brochures. And even then its underrated according the scale. No doubt loaded 5k or more.

Bought the trailer saver cringing at the time. 1st haul with it all questions answered. Nothing else is in the same league. Everything else that's solid mount IMO is obsolete. B&w, Curt, Reese, Anderson, all ancient technology. Will they work yes. Do people use them yes. If you care for your 5'ver, truck and your equipment in general. The choice is simple.

You ask about repairs and trailer damage. Consider you hit a big pot hole with a rear tire on the truck. The suspension absorbs some. You feel it in cab. That shock is transmitted through the hitch to the pin box on the trailer. And the front framework take the hit to. Reverse order trailer hit the pot hole or rough patch. Solid mount you feel it. TS you don't the hitch etc absorb the hit. Saving truck and in one instance. Saving your investment the other way. Plus its nice no more chucking and whip lash not as tired and fatigued end of a days driving.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #96

I'm a Trailer Saver user, not associated with them. The factory might have hard numbers. The following are claims from the Airsafe website (a Trailer Saver competitor), qualitative yes, quantitative no. They also claim that an air hitch only transmits 10% of trailer generated forces to the truck as opposed to 100% with a solid hitch. My guess is they have numbers to back up the claims.

Reduces trailer and content fatigue.
Reduces driver fatigue.
Eliminates most all surging, bucking, chucking.
Increases tire and transmission life.
Saves Gas since you are moving forward not up and down
Increases the life of the electronics found throughout your truck and trailer.
Increase your ride quality.
Improves overall safety.
Increases your quality of life, you deserve an AIRSAFE™ hitch
Old 10-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #97

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I'm a Trailer Saver user, not associated with them. The factory might have hard numbers. The following are claims from the Airsafe website (a Trailer Saver competitor), qualitative yes, quantitative no. They also claim that an air hitch only transmits 10% of trailer generated forces to the truck as opposed to 100% with a solid hitch. My guess is they have numbers to back up the claims.

Reduces trailer and content fatigue.
Reduces driver fatigue.
Eliminates most all surging, bucking, chucking.
Increases tire and transmission life.
Saves Gas since you are moving forward not up and down
Increases the life of the electronics found throughout your truck and trailer.
Increase your ride quality.
Improves overall safety.
Increases your quality of life, you deserve an AIRSAFE™ hitch
So, may I ask why you chose Trailer Saver over AirSafe?
Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #98

Quote:
So, may I ask why you chose Trailer Saver over AirSafe?
Honestly, I didn't know AirSafe existed at the time. The Rep at Trailer Saver said it would solve my problems and offered a money back guarantee.

Tags
5th wheel