Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Criteria for 5th Wheel Hitch Selection

What criteria should I use to select a FW hitch for a 2019 GMC 3500 Dually. I've seen enough to know that Curt, Reese and B&W are apparently good brand names but what do I need to know to select the best one for me? Is this an einey meany miney mo sort of thing?

I'm thinking this is the first purchase decision I have to make after the truck and before picking up the RV.

Incidentally, I've got a lot of GMC dealers and Vanleigh dealers ingaged and submitting price quotes. Pretty satisfied so far with how things are progressing. Looking to place an order for a new 2019 GMC in Nov. (if all goes well in Oct.). Expecting truck delivery would be around the new year. Then work on the RV purchase early next year. Wish me luck.

P.s. The GMC truck will be a long bed and will have the OEM 5th wheel / gooseneck prep package (puck system).
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

Trailer Saver Air ride like a TS3 with factory puck system setup.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Trailer Saver Air ride like a TS3 with factory puck system setup.
Is that a brand name?
Old 09-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #4

I would order the factory puck system. I had that on my Ford truck and liked it. I used the Reese Elite hitch made to fit the Ford factory puck system.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
What criteria should I use to select a FW hitch for a 2019 GMC 3500 Dually. I've seen enough to know that Curt, Reese and B&W are apparently good brand names but what do I need to know to select the best one for me? Is this an einey meany miney mo sort of thing?

I'm thinking this is the first purchase decision I have to make after the truck and before picking up the RV.

Incidentally, I've got a lot of GMC dealers and Vanleigh dealers ingaged and submitting price quotes. Pretty satisfied so far with how things are progressing. Looking to place an order for a new 2019 GMC in Nov. (if all goes well in Oct.). Expecting truck delivery would be around the new year. Then work on the RV purchase early next year. Wish me luck.

P.s. The GMC truck will be a long bed and will have the OEM 5th wheel / gooseneck prep package (puck system).
I have 2017 Chevy Dually. Trailersaver BD5 is top of the line in my opinion
Old 09-28-2018, 10:16 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That it holds the 5th wheel without dropping it.

I'm number one in the camp of Trailer Saver, I just can't afford one, so I have a BW Companion, it holds my 5th wheel just fine, doesn't chuck. Just back from 4000 miles on it, worked fine.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Is that a brand name?
Yes Trailer Saver is the brand name.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:40 AM   #8

Quote:

When is was in you posìtion last year. I chose not to use a 5th wheel hitch in the truck bed. I replaced the pin box with a Reese Goose box. The cost was similar to buying the 5th wheel hitch. When not towing I do not have a heavy hitch to remove and store. You may want to consider this option.
gmacecsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacecsko View Post
When is was in you posìtion last year. I chose not to use a 5th wheel hitch in the truck bed. I replaced the pin box with a Reese Goose box. The cost was similar to buying the 5th wheel hitch. When not towing I do not have a heavy hitch to remove and store. You may want to consider this option.
I have a 2018 GMC SIERRA DENALI . I opted for the factory cameras. One of then is mounted in the third brake light on top of the cab. It allows you to see inside the truck bed on the dash screen. It is a great help no matter what you choose as a hitch.
gmacecsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
What is the weight of the Trailer Saver TS3 and DB5. I couldn't find specs on their website. They seem very heavy which essentially makes it near impossible to remove which would defeat the purpose of the puck system.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:37 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacecsko View Post
I have a 2018 GMC SIERRA DENALI . I opted for the factory cameras. One of then is mounted in the third brake light on top of the cab. It allows you to see inside the truck bed on the dash screen. It is a great help no matter what you choose as a hitch.
Isn't that a $1,000 option? I should be able to purchase a backup camera for much less than that.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:43 AM   #12

I have a 2018 Silverado 3500 with the factory puck system. I opted for the B&W Companion hitch. Absolutely no chucking. The only downside is the weight. The hitch can be broken down into two pieces which does make the weight manageable. My solution though was to install a hoist on my garage ceiling. The hoist makes it a breeze to get the hitch in and out of the truck bed. When not in use, I lower the hitch onto a movers dolly and roll it away.
An unexpected benefit of the hoist has been to use it to lift one side of my lawnmower which has made blade removal and oil changes tons easier.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #13

To answer the OP’s question about what criteria to consider, in no particular order I would consider the cost, performance (no chucking), weight, ease of hitching.
You might also want to be thinking about tonneau covers and if you want a tool box in the bed.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
I have a 2018 Silverado 3500 with the factory puck system. I opted for the B&W Companion hitch. Absolutely no chucking. The only downside is the weight. The hitch can be broken down into two pieces which does make the weight manageable. My solution though was to install a hoist on my garage ceiling. The hoist makes it a breeze to get the hitch in and out of the truck bed. When not in use, I lower the hitch onto a movers dolly and roll it away.
An unexpected benefit of the hoist has been to use it to lift one side of my lawnmower which has made blade removal and oil changes tons easier.
I assume you are referring to a riding lawnmower. You have to lift the mower to change blades and oil? That can't be good.

Tags
5th wheel