Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
On the new trucks Cummins has the best exhaust brake but the worst go pedal. The exhaust brakes on all the new trucks have been improved though and there is not as much difference than once was.

If you are looking for the unrefined truck with the noise the cummins is tops...or bottoms.

I personally prefer a engine with less noise, vibration and harshness.

Unrefined ? Too funny ! The whole motor went thru a complete revamp in 19 . If your opinion is because you can hear the motor or feel a shift which many people including me like well that is an opinion . My 2020 Ram will break traction from a stop . Granted theFord is faster but who drag races . Until the V8 motors can mimic the longer stroke of an inline 6 they will always have a less effective exhaust brake . Just inherent to the different engine designs .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would say my truck is over-refined. I thoroughly enjoy the comfort and quality, but there about a dozen wonky safety/electronic/convenience features I could do with out - the double horn honk if I close the door with the fob in my pocket topping the list. But over all, the truck is a delight and the exhaust brake is completely sufficient for my uses. It holds a steady speed on grades with loads like this without using the brakes, which also means not using the trailer brakes. For $70k, it should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11D66078-0ABC-4F67-A8F2-784212F89D3F.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	307291  
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I would say my truck is over-refined. I thoroughly enjoy the comfort and quality, but there about a dozen wonky safety/electronic/convenience features I could do with out - the double horn honk if I close the door with the fob in my pocket topping the list. But over all, the truck is a delight and the exhaust brake is completely sufficient for my uses. It holds a steady speed on grades with loads like this without using the brakes, which also means not using the trailer brakes. For $70k, it should.
You can't go into the menu on your trucks display and remove the honky horn?
My Ram came with the wonky honky horn noise on lockup. Went into the menu and removed it as well as set up all the doors to unlock at the same time.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #18

jacknife - I agree it is way better than it used to be but imho the Ford and GM V8's are smoother with less noise, vibration and harshness. With every new enhancement the engines get smoother.

Of the Ford diesel, the Chevy diesel and the Ram diesel the Ram diesel is not quite as smooth. Nothing wrong with the Ram but good for Ford and GM.

I test drove the 2020 Ford diesel and it was a lot more refined than my 2012 Ford diesel. That darn truck drove like a car. It was a diesel F-250 test drive.

Any one with the newest diesel engines has the most refined engines to date. There is nothing wrong with any of them.

In 2019 Ram led the way with a better diesel and a better truck with a new frame. Ford and GM followed with their better trucks in 2020. GM has a new frame but Ford stuck with thier improved 2017 frame.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
On the new trucks Cummins has the best exhaust brake but the worst go pedal. The exhaust brakes on all the new trucks have been improved though and there is not as much difference than once was.

If you are looking for the unrefined truck with the noise the cummins is tops...or bottoms.

I personally prefer a engine with less noise, vibration and harshness.
My 12 CTD was a little rough around the edges but my 19 new and improved is really smooth. Out on the freeway running around 68-70 mph with my TT in tow it's as smooth as it gets. I recently had to take my TT back to the factory (300 miles of freeway). I was really impressed with the ride of my 3500 CTD. It was quiet and smooth at 72-75 mph all the while getting 21-22 mpgs running empty.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
My Ram came with the wonky honky horn noise on lockup. Went into the menu and removed it as well as set up all the doors to unlock at the same time.
It’s not in the menus and the wrench at the dealership (there for a “free” oil change) said one thing they can’t defeat. I questioned that but didn’t get anywhere.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
I think part of the reason the Cummins EB is more effective is that it operates diffidently than Ford and GM.
while all three use Variable vane turbos, Ford and GM use the configuration of the vanes to limit exhaust flow, Cummins/Ram use a sliding ring to limit the flow of exhaust gas and does a more efficient job of limiting the flow.
The unison ring? My 03 has one. I dont actually know how youd have a vgt without one.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
I can tell you from experience this week, my truck's EB is more aggressive whether on Full or Auto than a Chevy. Ran around towing with a friend and his Chevy/TT and his exhaust brake is effective but not as noticeable as the one on the Cummins. I like the sound of the EB on my Cummins too.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I can tell you from experience this week, my truck's EB is more aggressive whether on Full or Auto than a Chevy. Ran around towing with a friend and his Chevy/TT and his exhaust brake is effective but not as noticeable as the one on the Cummins. I like the sound of the EB on my Cummins too.
I would have expected that to be the case. In fact, I would have put money on it.As for sound, I’d prefer not to hear any more noise than necessary, but that wouldn’t stop me from buying a truck that suits my needs.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
It’s not in the menus and the wrench at the dealership (there for a “free” oil change) said one thing they can’t defeat. I questioned that but didn’t get anywhere.
Although of course I'll say it's there so you don't forget and walk away with your truck running and the key inside, I'd bet you can defeat it with AlphaOBD. I have used that to set all sorts of stuff on my last two trucks. It is too comprehensive for me to go look and see though, search on Google or ask on a Ram site with a section for AlphaOBD.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I like the single door unlock on one push, I see it as a safety feature, only the door you are entering is in locked, if a family a simple double push unlocks all. To each their own.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, cummins, exhaust, ford