Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Curt solid forged ball mount- sloppy!

I just bought a solid forged ball mount by Curt Mfg
http://www.amazon.com/CURT-Manufactu....+Magnum+Heavy
It is not doubt a heavy duty ball mount,
Fits 2" Receivers
4" Drop, 3" Rise, 8-1/2" Length
1-1/4" Ball Hole Diameter
15,000 lbs GTW/1500 lbs TW
Durable powder coat finish

Here is the problem/not a problem?
If you read the reviews, as I did , before I bought it.......It is sloppy in the receiver, side to side.....1/4"(EDIT: 1/8"-3/16") ......front to back(pin hole) 1/16" or less.... Before I ordered it , I thought after reading the reviews......how much slop could there be? Well, it is a solid forged hunk of steel, with the sides ground off where the mold/forge seams are.
Some seem to be real happy with it, and others not so much.
So now heres my question, it is going to have 1100# of tongue weight on it(Car trailer) .....How much is this going to move(the slop) towing it with that much tongue weight on it?
Does others have these solid Curt ball mounts? Do you like yours?
I have not towed the new trailer with it as of yet......this weekend maybe. What are your thought's on this ball mount? Ship it back? get another brand? TRY IT? I can't believe Curt would make something that fits this loose, unless with the 15,000# rating that when loaded, it does not move any, with all that weight on it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the model with 2" drop
it has some wiggle to it, not 1/4" by any means
but mine i wrapped it in 1/16" black teflon and it fits snugg.
I run right at 1k lbs on tongue weight and it hasnt let me know its wiggling around at all,
my pin hole on the other hand is pretty tight, the locking pin i use slides in snugly. it takes some effort to rotate it after its all secure

i believe they make teflon wedges to take up slack and make for a wiggle free ride
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #3

I've also applied a bead of weld around the circumference of the bar an inch from either end, then ground down until it fit without slop or binding. It doesn't take much, else you are grinding most of it off. Works well

Ralph
ralphday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
I just got a curt drop mount for my WD hitch. Same as you said, 15,000 lbs and solid forged steel. Mine on the other hand I had to beat it into the hitch with a rubber mallet. I dont know how I'll get it out, but that time will come. Have you tried calling Curt to find out what they say?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Angry On Hold.....Calling Curt Mfg.

While on the phone trying to call Curt Mfg.(20 minutes) I got to thinking Just what the person that answers the phone is going to tell me when I tell them what the problem is with their ball mount.......I really like the looks and beyond beef-ie look of it, and really don't want to send it back, so after 20 minutes on hold, I hung up, with help from the above post's and thinking and looking at its design and shape, I ground the power coat off and layed 4 beads of weld on each side of it, 2 in front of the pin hole and 2 behind the pin hole, on each side,and ground the welds to a snug fit.......now I am happy with it.......the welding and work I did to it is inside the receiver anyway
Thank you all for you post's!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Glad you got it fixed. Sometime, the problem in tolerances built into separate pieces can both be off--perhaps your receiver tube is also somewhat large and the Curt is somewhat undersize, resulting in a lot of movement.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Glad you got it fixed. Sometime, the problem in tolerances built into separate pieces can both be off--perhaps your receiver tube is also somewhat large and the Curt is somewhat undersize, resulting in a lot of movement.
Joe
Hi Joe, the sad thing here is , the reveiver is brand new......A Curt Also!.......
I am thinking, it is going to be OK and work just fine now, it is to bad I had to work and weld on it to make it fit right though........
Old 05-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #8

I don't have your welding/grinding ability, so it would not have worked for me. Another 'mfg tolerance' issue: lost my 2.5 to 2 inch adapter that came with my 450. Bought one made by Reese--would not fit. Had to go back to Ford, and $52 later, had an adapter that fit. $52 for a piece of square metal tubing about 8" long...crazy.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is very common and for good reason. IF the hitch adapter is tight in the receiver then the slightest amount of rust and you need some serious tools to pull it out.. i used to have a smaller (1.25 inch as I recall) receiver and adapter and if I left it in too long it took some serious effort to pull it out.. (Did that twice).

If the movement is objectionable there is a fix for it.

Blue ox sells a device that was once called an "Anti-Rattle Clip" and is now called (After slight modification) a "Hitch Immobilizer" which is actually a better description.> This clamps over the hitch adapter right at the receiver edge and locks it like you'd not believe.

me, I believe.. Why. I have one.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #10

Not sure if you know this or not but your are suppose to remove the hitch when not being used that's why they make it with 1 easy to remove pin. That way it won't rust into the receiver and also aids in not letting people hit there legs when walking through a parking lot.

Well glad you got it fixed up.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:49 AM   #11

These are some elaborate solutions to a pretty common problem. I just put a wrap of duct tape before and behind the hole around the ball mount. Works perfectly and no rust. No rattle, no metal-on-metal sounds. If it wears out, just slap a new wrap of duct tape on.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote