Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #1

Deleted!

Took the truck to a reputable shop and they deleted it. Why, oh why didn't I do this 50K ago?

Throttle response is amazing. It's crisper if you know what I mean. Entering the freeway from a stoplight, foot on the pedal where it normally would be (it's called muscle memory) and before I left the on ramp I was doing 80mph.

Turbo break really slows things down QUICKLY. One interesting thing about the turbo break is it stays on when I shut the truck down. To me, that's a plus.

It was only a 2hr drive home, but the notoriously wrong EVIC posted a few more MPG.

All this on the 'Stock' setting.

Edge tuner
Sinister Diesel EGR delete kit
S&B intake
5" turbo back exhaust

They put everything they took off in the bed of the truck. My only problem is how to get rid of several hundred pounds of parts they took off.

If you're from or near central Michigan, I highly recommend these guys (and gals).

Tradition Truck Service is where the mechanical work is done. Right next door and a part of them is Diesel Freak, Performance Harnesses where they do the tuner install. All one company, just two different entities.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #2

Deleted what?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #3

Been on the fence for a year now. Just don't want to drop the $$$. Should've done it a few years ago before the EPA cracked down on tuner MFG's. Now tuners are ridiculously priced.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:37 AM   #4

I will never delete....., but someday I expect some parts might fall off on a bumpy road as the truck ages
Old 08-30-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

DEF?
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
DEF?
DEF does nothing for the drive-ability part. Only how the emission system works.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

I would not advertise the shop who did this for you. They could be fine by the EPA for doing this work. That is why so many tuner companies are no longer selling in the U.S. And the companies that are selling are for off-road use only.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #8

If I were you, I'd keep all those factory paper weights. It may choke the preformance out of your truck but if the wonderful epa ever catches you on the road with it, they will levey huge fines against you and force you to reinstall that equipment back on. I've looked into it and it's illegal to remove that equipment.

Be safe everyone.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
If I were you, I'd keep all those factory paper weights. It may choke the preformance out of your truck but if the wonderful epa ever catches you on the road with it, they will levey huge fines against you and force you to reinstall that equipment back on. I've looked into it and it's illegal to remove that equipment.

Be safe everyone.
The EPA doesn't patrol the roads that I know of. Unless the OP's rollin coal big time then he looks like the rest of the diesel owners out there.
I would only be concerned at trade in. And thats strickly a dealer issue.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #10

Does anyone know, first hand, if anyone has ever been pulled over and or fined for a deleted truck? I am not considering it, just curious. I do know that CA troopers are supposed to pull people over, but I have no first hand experience with anyone that got pulled over let alone fined.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #11

Is it likely you will get pulled over simply because of a delete? Probably not. Is it still illegal? Yes and IF ever caught can be fined. Has it happened yet? Don't know. Is it possible? Yes. They are already going after the aftermarket companies and shops it wouldn't surprise me that the trucks themselves are next. It is the epa after all.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:16 PM   #12

Its a Federal thing. $2,500 fine for owner's, $10,000 fines for dealers or people in the business to remove emission devices ......

No big deal
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #13

You'll want to keep everything in case you have to put it back on at some time. A couple years back in our area they changed the testing requirements so that several counties that didn't previously have annual testing requirements implemented them. I worked with quite a few folks that spent a lot of money fixing up their trucks so they could maintain registration on them.
Searching_Ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #14

I must admit, this is why I got a older truck to begin with - I do have a Cat, and a troublesome EGR...and thats enough - heh.

I can't imagine anyone is going to want to drive the newer diesel trucks out of warranty, just too many damn things to go wrong. EGR, DPF, CAT, SCR, blah blah blah...
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote