Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I live where it gets below the cloud point of dsl and #1 is not available at the pumps. It used to be. Why not just help with what he is asking.
Thank you, and the few others that posted on-topic and tried to follow the thread. There are many disputes about additives and this isn't one of them. I asked specifically for help measuring. In my area, I don't trust my primary fuel provider, yet I have to take advantage of the fuel discount I receive on my credit card. I also know very well that my old 6.0 runs better with my anti-gel additive. I suppose I will let others weigh in, but this is my thread and I ask that posters stay on-topic, or else start their own post. Actually, I don't have time right now to weed through all the off-topic stuff.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
I use anti-gel that recommends 1 oz of product to 3 gals diesel fuel. I buy it in gal containers and have been transferring it into 3 - 8 oz bottles for a fast way to add it at the pump. It's OK, but a little messy. Plus I try to use fuel points on my credit card which means I top up with only a few gallons sometimes. Is there a good, long-neck, measuring container or other method that might make this easier? I know some guys just dump some in and everything is fine. But I am a bit OCD, because my job involves transferring fluids accurately - so I might be over-doing it!
I too use a diesel fuel supplement that prevents fuel gelling and boosts cetane for faster cold starts. (It is not unusual to have some days of -20*F to -35*F every winter here.) I purchased a measuring device along with the first gallon of supplement I bought. The device is a plastic funnel that has a handle on the side, a lid for the top, a filter screen in the bottom and a twist-action shut-off valve with a hose that has a cap on the end of it. This is a one quart funnel that has graduation marks every 4 ounces and every 100 milliliters. I found it at our local farm and barn store and it is made by Hopkins Manufacturing Corporation. I have found this to be very convenient because of the lid, valve and hose cap that helps to keep things clean. Sounds like I may be a little OCD too. I hope this helps.
WingHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #17

I have a funnel that sounds exactly like this. I use it to change oil in small engines. I didn't think of it for my additive purpose, but it's perfect for this. Maybe I got it from Northern Tool?? I'll find another or pilfer the one I have. I like it because of the twist valve and the cover that keeps all clean.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
I have a funnel that sounds exactly like this. I use it to change oil in small engines. I didn't think of it for my additive purpose, but it's perfect for this. Maybe I got it from Northern Tool?? I'll find another or pilfer the one I have. I like it because of the twist valve and the cover that keeps all clean.
Exactly!! Glad that you have found your solution. I really like mine. Easy to use.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #19

For those interested in the funnel here's what it looks like. Really good way to measure oil. I hope I can find another one so that I can keep this one for changing oil in small engines.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in Minnesota and it gets a little cold here. I fill with #2 and add optilube for anti-gel. It is cheaper than using #1 and I get some other benefits. When I ordered the Optilube, there was a kit that came with it for an extra 5.00 that has a pump you put on the gal bottle. They did include to extra 8 oz empty bottles. This works pretty well. One gal treats 512 gal of fuel. There was a post on this site a while ago that had a study of the different additives and Optilube was rated #1. I am headed to Florida soon and will post if I see any differences in power and mileage as they claim on the Box.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #21

That is the same funnel that I have, except the manufacturer's stickers are still on mine.
I have a question. Will that little bit of oil residue left in the funnel be a problem if mixed in the tank full of fuel, and on the other hand, would the little bit of fuel supplement left in the funnel be a problem if mixed in the crankcase oil for small engines? If it doesn't make that much difference, I think I will start using mine for more than just measuring the fuel supplement.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I live in Minnesota and it gets a little cold here. I fill with #2 and add optilube for anti-gel. It is cheaper than using #1 and I get some other benefits. When I ordered the Optilube, there was a kit that came with it for an extra 5.00 that has a pump you put on the gal bottle. They did include to extra 8 oz empty bottles. This works pretty well. One gal treats 512 gal of fuel. There was a post on this site a while ago that had a study of the different additives and Optilube was rated #1. I am headed to Florida soon and will post if I see any differences in power and mileage as they claim on the Box.
Sounds like a very good alternative to what I am using now for anti-gel. I will have to try to remember this when I run out of the product I have now. Thanks for the tip! Have a safe trip and enjoy your time in Florida!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #23

I live up here in Idaho with seriously cold temperature.

I don't use any anti-gel products at all. I've already done my research of local fuels and what they are stated for pour point and what they use for PPD (Pour point depressants). Most of the fuel stations are nice enough to post cloud point temps.

So if I didn't do my home work how do I know what products they add to the storage tanks?

It actually does injection pump and injector damage to over add pour point depressants to the fuel. It tend to reduce the HFRR score of the fuel.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #24

Using this 32oz. bottle makes the whole measuring thing easy with less mess, very accurate too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32oz sta-bil.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	116074  
Old 01-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mopar1973Man What you don't under stand is that we fuel up in Summer and don't run the tanks out. Then we go fuel up with Winter Blend but it is not enough to prevent jelling and therefore need additives. We experience -20 degrees and below quite often here in Minnesooooota.

I have oil bottles that have a clear stripe on the side with ozs marked alongside. I pour the additive in to the line I want and dump it in. It's much easier than trying to use the big jug as well.

That funnel looks like a good idea.

BTW, what do you think Winter Blend is? Answer, they add ADDITIVES!!
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Mopar1973Man What you don't under stand is that we fuel up in Summer and don't run the tanks out. Then we go fuel up with Winter Blend but it is not enough to prevent jelling and therefore need additives. We experience -20 degrees and below quite often here in Minnesooooota.
BTW, what do you think Winter Blend is? Answer, they add ADDITIVES!!
Cooperhawk
I'm from Wisconsin, (where it gets nearly as cold as it does in most of Minnesota).
I never use fuel additives and I've never had diesel fuel "jell".
Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Cooperhawk
I'm from Wisconsin, (where it gets nearly as cold as it does in most of Minnesota).
I never use fuel additives and I've never had diesel fuel "jell".
Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
Well, you will. I drove tractor trailer for a while and had several jelling incidents. If my tank was empty and I fueled up with Winter Additive I would have no problem either. It's because a large portion of the tank still had Summer Blend in it that it jelled.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Some good reading: http://biodiesel.org/docs/default-so...r.pdf?sfvrsn=6

Scroll to the United States section here towards the bottom of this link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel

United States

In the United States there is no legislation on a fixed time frame when winter diesel must meet a specific temperature characteristic. The ASTM D 975 standard does not specify the cold flow requirements of diesel fuel. Instead, it suggests that the cloud point be no more than 6°C higher than the 10th percentile minimum ambient temperature for the month the fuel will be used. The 10th percentile temperature corresponds to the minimum temperature that would be reached no more than 3 days out of 30 for the month (decile). The ASTM D 975 contains overview maps that show the expected tenth percentile temperature for every month for each state.[34]
Using these guidelines gas stations offer "winter ready diesel" for sale to the Motorist - there are two ways to achieve this:
  • winter blend - the gas station has blended the No.2 diesel with No.1(kerosene) by some percentage.
  • winterized diesel - the No.2 diesel has been treated with additives by the diesel supplier.
As the treatment with additives (1:40000[35]) is a cheaper way to enhance No.2 fuel in winter, most stations offer winterized diesel in cold weather conditions. In regions with colder weather, most gas stations offer No.1 fuel at the same pump allowing drivers to decide for themselves on a winter blend.

Tags
diesel