Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #43

I'd buy a diesel truck. Then since you commute is really short, buy a used cheap car for that use.
ARB357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #44

I would have to agree with what has been said about short trips and diesel. My 3500 GMC Duramax is my normal driver but mostly 20 mile trips or longer since we live in a bedroom community. BUT being retired there can be a lot of 3 mile trips to PO, groceries, Dairy Queen etc. If I have done about 4 of those since a longer trip I get the light saying I need to clean out my exhaust which actually means some longer driving to heat up enough to do the job. Once and a while even a 30 mile trip will have the light show up again until the next longer trip.
LarryFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #45

Considering your short commute I would stay away from a diesel, it is very hard on them to continuously not spend time at proper operating temperature. Of your choices listed I would go for the F150 with either the 3.5 Ecoboost or the 5.0 Coyote, if you like true all terrain tires or running above 65 mph I would get the 5.0 as it will give better mileage in these instances. I have had multiple diesels starting with the Chevy 6.2 (some were good for daily drivers and light towing) up to the Powerstroke Dually I have now (lifted with air suspension and 40” tires) but for my daily driving I have been really happy with the F150’s I towed my last trailer which weighed in at almost 10,000 lbs loaded and never had a lack of power with either engine. I currently have the 3.5 ecoboost with BFG All Terrains that are one size over stock and that plus the increase in highway speeds in Nebraska my mileage has dropped about 3 mpg due to just being into the boost. If you don’t run 75 mph a lot and are happy with all season tires then by all means get the 3.5 otherwise go for the 5.0 Coyote which is a phenomenal engine.
BigAirT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #46

Man, you guys are making this difficult! lol Just when i decide on one thing, i get a bunch of differing opinions. I guess thats the pro/com of a forum though, a variety of experiences.

I have decided on a few things:

1)Something is likely wrong with this truck. Not sure what, or how much I'm willing to pay to find out, but it should be able to adequately handle my trailer.

2)A diesel would be the ideal tow vehicle, especially since we have thrown around the idea of a longer trailer with slide a few years down the road.

3)Nothing will do "well" in a 5 minute commute and a motorcycle/bicycle might be the best fit. (Minus the pit stains from riding a bike uphill to work haha)

4)There is nothing out there that really "wows" me right now. For what I am looking for, I would have to sell my truck and likely put another $10k on top to get something (used) more updated and even then, it won't compare to the interior/exterior of my Laramie, IMO. It will tow better, which is important though.

Tough call...
jnelson41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #47

Hey, your #3 - remember I recommended a horse. That is a Colorado thing correct?

But seriously, a lot was changed in 2011. I looked at all the trucks in 2009. I decided to keep the Honda Ridgeline I had at the time. I looked at full size trucks again in 2011. And I could have been happy with any of the big 3. I bought a powerful 5.0 litre Coyote engined F-150 Lariat. Heated and cooled seats way back in 2011.

If you like a 2009 Ram Laramie you would really like a 2011 Ram Laramie or a 2011 Ford 3.5 Eco-Boost Lariat.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #48

I used to commute 15 miles to work in my 2012 Sierra 3500 dually and was paying about $200 a month in diesel. Bought a lease return Chevy spark ev as a commuter and more than break even, especially when I consider the reduced wear and tear on the truck. My son has one which is why I even considered it. Plus the electric version of the spark is a hoot to drive. We both autocross the sparks, I tow mine to the races with the dually since they don’t have enough range to race and get home without stopping to charge.
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:31 PM   #49

Get the exhaust and manifold leaks checked first. You may be losing hp and causing the higher temps.
bs077331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #50

seems to me that the problem is probably the 5 spd. tranny he mentioned earlier. probably not able to get the power to the wheels in that altitude and terrain. that was the main problem when towing with the '17 sierra I had..it had a 6 spd that shifted all over the place when towing. getting on the freeway with trailer in tow was always interesting. the 8spd tranny in my '19 ram is awesome so far for towing. the 4.56 1st gear and 3.92 rear end get me and my 6000# trailer up to speed easily.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tow