Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2022, 03:23 PM   #1

Diesel Engine Braking

I tow a 2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M with a 2019 Ford F350 long bed SRW diesel. I don’t seem to have the knack of using engine brake. Is it designed to be used alone, or can it be used when the tow/haul feature is engaged and/or with cruise control? If I set engage it at 60mph it will aggressively slow down speed while descending by down shifting and reducing speed far below 60.

I tried the search feature with no luck. Thanks.

Mike
FV Icy Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV Icy Swan View Post
I tow a 2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M with a 2019 Ford F350 long bed SRW diesel. I don’t seem to have the knack of using engine brake. Is it designed to be used alone, or can it be used when the tow/haul feature is engaged and/or with cruise control? If I set engage it at 60mph it will aggressively slow down speed while descending by down shifting and reducing speed far below 60.

Mike
A Super Duty forum would have quick answers for you. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/ I have only used my engine brake when my truck was in tow/haul.....not sure why you'd need the engine brake unless you were towing or hauling something. I'm 99% sure that people have said you can use the EB in conjunction with the cruise control though I haven't tried it myself.

Mine may be different as it's a 2022 but there are manual and automatic modes and it sounds like you are in manual but may want automatic:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...gEnabled=False

Dave
Old 10-24-2022, 04:27 PM   #3

2020 F350 here.
We use Exhaust brake in conjunction with cruise control.
We use the setting: 'automatic exhaust brake'. So it can engage without needing to tap the brake pedal, which also disables cruise control...
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:04 PM   #4
JDT

Mine is always on when towing my fifth wheel or my bass boat. I also use it solo if the inclines are enough to warrant (save my brakes). We just spent a month in Colorado and a lot of time in Rocky Mountain NP so used it a lot when exploring the park.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV Icy Swan View Post

Mike
Probably all you really need to know is to hit the the exhaust brake button twice to put it in auto mode and put your transmission in tow haul.

In Auto mode the EB adjusts the level of engine braking as it attempts to maintain the speed the truck was going the moment the accelerator or brake pedal was released. So, say you are driving with the "auto" mode selected and you start descending a steep grade: you release the accelerator at 60 mph, as the truck starts gaining speed the EB tries to slow the truck back to 60 mph. If the "tow/haul" is selected the transmission will be more aggressive at downshifting to aid in holding the truck back. If, as you are going down the hill you think 60 mph is a little fast you can step on the brake pedal which will cause the wheel brakes and EB to work together to slow the truck to a more desirable speed .... say 50 mph. When you release the brake pedal at 50 mph, 50 mph will become the new set point that the EB will try to maintain.

When "exhaust brake on" is selected the EB will adjust to cause as much engine braking as it can whenever your foot is off the accelerator.

With "auto" exhaust selected in conjunction with cruise control the computer will take over the EB, wheel brakes and accelerator to maintain the selected cruising speed. If you tap the brakes cruise is cancelled but the "auto" exhaust brake will continue to work as described above.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:35 PM   #6

4x4ord, thanks. I think that is the puzzle. When using auto EB at 60 and tap the brakes at say 50, you are right the EB stays at 50 Any way to get it to go back to 60 without shutting it off and trying again from scratch?

Mike
Old 10-24-2022, 09:26 PM   #7

^^^ The exhaust brake speed "set point" is always the speed at which the truck was going when either the accelerator or brake pedal was last released. So if you've stepped on the brake pedal to slow to 50 for a curve, 50 is the set point. After going around the curve you want your speed back to 60 you simply step on the accelerator until you hit 60 mph ... when you let off, 60 mph will be your set point.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:29 AM   #8

I will try those tips today. We are now in Texas and it if flatter than the route from Oregon not there are still hills. Thanks.

Mike
Old 10-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #9

Thanks, all. It worked well in west Texas. Not much of a test but it worked. I used it with tow/haul in auto mode. I did not use cruise control today, but will try it tomorrow with cruise control on a short trip.

Mike
Old 10-26-2022, 02:14 PM   #10

I did use cruise control, tow/haul, and auto EB today on a short run in west Texas. I think I have it figured out for now. Thanks for all the kind assistance.

Mike
Old 10-27-2022, 06:45 AM   #11

Wow, so many different ways of using EB, mine is on all the time. Only exception is snow/ice. This is towing or not towing, with cruse it will drop gears to hold speed.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Wow, so many different ways of using EB, mine is on all the time. Only exception is snow/ice. This is towing or not towing, with cruse it will drop gears to hold speed.
I seldom use tow haul … even when towing. I usually use auto EB brake when towing and seldom want it on without a heavy trailer.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:39 PM   #13

I have my engine brake on "Auto" mode most of the time I am driving with or without the trailer. When going down the big hills in Colorado this summer, I set the cruise control and let the e brake and tranny do whatever it needs to.
If I needed to change speed, I simply hit the + and - to set it where I wanted.
Worked great.
It was fun and not too distracting to watch the screen that shows how much horsepower the engine is braking with.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine