Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #29

As I stated in my post above, I did everything to improve the performance. However I didn't remove the catalytic converter or any of the "smog" stuff since here in Texas you won't pass inspection without it. With that said I know of a few that have removed the catalytic converters and some of the smog stuff...even on newer models than mine and it does improve the performance even more...but this year they are starting to enforce the laws and everyone that does spend $$$ to remove that stuff will have to spend $$$$ to put it back on or get fined..if they get caught. It is the law, I was commenting more on the fact that the newer models that use the DEF will never out perform the models that do not use DEF.
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 AM   #30

Diesel engine for short trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Life is short, I don't have a lot of fancy stuff but I wanted a diesel. My dog wanted me to have it.

I don't currently have a dog, but I sure agree with the rest of your statement. I have already lost WAY too many friends, and I intend to get what I want if at all possible. I just ordered a new 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 crew cab short bed with all the trimmings. Probably won't have a tombstone, but if I do, I don't want it to say "he settled for less".
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #31

WOW some of you guys are talking about changing oil every 3000 miles or 6 months and such and that is such a WASTE of natural resources. OIL

If you get a UOA, used oil analyst , especially with a diesel engine will might see another side of the change the oil story.

Used Oil Analysis - Diesel | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Driving a diesel 3-8 miles a day is not a smart use of the vehicle when you consider,

cost of diesel,
cost of oil changes at some 15 qts,
cost of fuel filters etc..

You would be better off and money ahead to buy an nice 2-3K dollar, 27 MPG hyundai or honda etc and let the big dog rest during the week.

They like to run large and hard and the drive to work with stop and go is like a death by a thousand cuts..

if you have a CAT dealer in your area go see them and ask for the SOS department. You can get a oil sample kit for 14 buck and the postage is included in that cost.. they will do a nice job and you can get TBN which tell how much longer the oil will last.

I have a 2003 Ford SD 7.3L that i let sit during the week and most weekend unless i need to pull my trailer to dump, or something that require some muscle but for during the week of stop and go .. its a no go for my diesel.

now some are going to say that letting one sit is worse but that is not true if you are running it every couple weeks or so for 20 to 30 miles or
more getting it up to good temp and "getting on the gas" a bit as well.
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sometimes in life, we just do something because we want to. Not because it will save the earth or cost less. I drive my Cummins 6.7 diesel because I want to and I like it and I have worked for it. If some little turkey blows out a light in his rice burner I will eat his lunch and walk away without a scratch. If we all want to save oil we better crush all these RV's and buy back packs for camping. We can all hug the trees along the trail. My diesel gets 20+ on the freeway and the exhaust puts out cleaner air than we get from china. Diesels make just fine daily drivers.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Sometimes in life, we just do something because we want to. Not because it will save the earth or cost less. I drive my Cummins 6.7 diesel because I want to and I like it and I have worked for it. If some little turkey blows out a light in his rice burner I will eat his lunch and walk away without a scratch. If we all want to save oil we better crush all these RV's and buy back packs for camping. We can all hug the trees along the trail. My diesel gets 20+ on the freeway and the exhaust puts out cleaner air than we get from china. Diesels make just fine daily drivers.
X2. I have to totally agree with you on this. I don't buy the savings on buying the little car. There is still maintenance, insurance and depreciation on your used car that is going to eat up your savings.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #34

For a 5th wheel you will need a Ram 2500 and depending upon the weight of the trailer you may need the diesel engine. If the dry weight of the 5th wheel is going to be over 10,000 lbs. then the diesel makes sense and add the extra $6,000 dollars in purchase price for the diesel Ram to the cost for the trailer.

A gas powered 2500 truck is a poor choice for a daily driver to go a short distance. A diesel powered truck is an even worse choice as the engine will never reach proper operating temperatures during the drive to work or the drive home. More soot will end up in the motor oil and the emissions systems will not be able to work properly.

If you get a 12,000 lb. 5th wheel trailer and have to get the diesel powered Ram the I would get something like a 10 year old Corolla or Civic or Subaru and use that for my daily driver. It costs more than just fuel to drive a vehicle around and with the diesel truck you will pay twice as much for fuel, three times as much for fuel filter and oil filter and oil changes, and twice as much for tires and brakes.

Don't get sucked into going for the diesel 3500 DRW that can tow almost anything. 80% of the 5th wheel travel trailers I see being towed on the highway are pulled by SRW trucks and the majority of those are 2500 trucks as that is all that is needed. A diesel 2500 truck can tow up to 17,000 lbs. and for a trailer weight of up to 14,000 lbs. a 2500 truck can handle the load of the 5th wheel on the rear axle and its two tires.

It is the approach we have taken with a 2500 diesel truck for heavy towing and hauling and a Toyota Prius that over the past 7 years has gotten an average of 45 MPG burning regular gas. We have only had to buy one set of brake pads, one set of tires, one small battery, and do oil changes, over the 80,000 miles we have driven this car that new cost $23,000 out the door.

It would be an even starker contrast during winter months when there can be fuel problems with diesel bio fuel and gelling and the engine will be at even lower operating temperatures during your commute.

The diesel truck used for short trips would get less than 15 MPG and be burning diesel fuel that costs 10-15 percent more than regular gas. The less the truck is driven the less maintenance needs to be done and the longer it will go before needing new brakes and tires, etc.

And don't expect fuel prices to stay below $4.00 even with our multi trillion dollar wars of aggression in the Middle East and Africa. Plan on fuel prices well above the current level over the time you will be pulling the trailer and heading off to work.

Your choice of a Ram truck in this class of truck puts you with the majority of truck buyers. Ford sells more pickup trucks overall due to sales of the F-150, but in terms of sales of 2500 and 3500 class trucks Ram sells 50% more trucks than Ford (and about 4x as many trucks as GM).
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have 1 vehicle, it's my truck. I like driving it, sitting in it and looking down on the little people in their rice burners. I really don't care what it costs to drive it, it is a luxury I give myself. If I want to save fuel and save the earth I'll ride a bike. When diesel goes up in price the traffic will go down. Good. More people in tiny cars I am safer. Good. Drove my 03 diesel 5 miles to work every day for over 10 years with not one issue. Do what you want and what works best for you, that's what I do.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
For a 5th wheel you will need a Ram 2500 and depending upon the weight of the trailer you may need the diesel engine. If the dry weight of the 5th wheel is going to be over 10,000 lbs. then the diesel makes sense and add the extra $6,000 dollars in purchase price for the diesel Ram to the cost for the trailer.

A gas powered 2500 truck is a poor choice for a daily driver to go a short distance. A diesel powered truck is an even worse choice as the engine will never reach proper operating temperatures during the drive to work or the drive home. More soot will end up in the motor oil and the emissions systems will not be able to work properly.

If you get a 12,000 lb. 5th wheel trailer and have to get the diesel powered Ram the I would get something like a 10 year old Corolla or Civic or Subaru and use that for my daily driver. It costs more than just fuel to drive a vehicle around and with the diesel truck you will pay twice as much for fuel, three times as much for fuel filter and oil filter and oil changes, and twice as much for tires and brakes.

Don't get sucked into going for the diesel 3500 DRW that can tow almost anything. 80% of the 5th wheel travel trailers I see being towed on the highway are pulled by SRW trucks and the majority of those are 2500 trucks as that is all that is needed. A diesel 2500 truck can tow up to 17,000 lbs. and for a trailer weight of up to 14,000 lbs. a 2500 truck can handle the load of the 5th wheel on the rear axle and its two tires.

It is the approach we have taken with a 2500 diesel truck for heavy towing and hauling and a Toyota Prius that over the past 7 years has gotten an average of 45 MPG burning regular gas. We have only had to buy one set of brake pads, one set of tires, one small battery, and do oil changes, over the 80,000 miles we have driven this car that new cost $23,000 out the door.

It would be an even starker contrast during winter months when there can be fuel problems with diesel bio fuel and gelling and the engine will be at even lower operating temperatures during your commute.

The diesel truck used for short trips would get less than 15 MPG and be burning diesel fuel that costs 10-15 percent more than regular gas. The less the truck is driven the less maintenance needs to be done and the longer it will go before needing new brakes and tires, etc.

And don't expect fuel prices to stay below $4.00 even with our multi trillion dollar wars of aggression in the Middle East and Africa. Plan on fuel prices well above the current level over the time you will be pulling the trailer and heading off to work.

Your choice of a Ram truck in this class of truck puts you with the majority of truck buyers. Ford sells more pickup trucks overall due to sales of the F-150, but in terms of sales of 2500 and 3500 class trucks Ram sells 50% more trucks than Ford (and about 4x as many trucks as GM).
Not true in 2013 and doubt it will be true in 2014. Ford kicks GM and Rams butt in the 2500-3500 class.
Ford 263,830
Ram 135,600
GM 98,228
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #37

Put a winter front on your truck you can get them from your dealer. Basically it justs blocks air flow to radiator so your engine will run warmer quicker . Also if you plug in a block heater at nite you will have a warm engine in the morning.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #38

That is still alot of Rams considering that a few years ago they could't even touch Chevy. I just like inline sixes. I think all three make quality trks these days .

I have never seen a dealership that does not have a repair shop no matter the brand.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #39

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Less then 20% of crude oil is used to refine motor fuel the rest goes to thousands of other pleasures we all enjoy. But burning motor fuel gets blame.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #40

Jayco Owners Club
Well, so far I drive mine about 5 miles to work, and 5 miles home, every other week. Then I drive 45 miles to work and 45 miles home in the opposing weeks, (carpool). I only have 4800 miles on her so far, but no issues. I, too am getting around 20 mpg average on the weeks I drive long distances, but about 16.5 on the short-drive weeks. As said before, it's a pleasure I give myself for working over 50 years... and I will continue...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel