Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #15

I also have EFI Live, tuned by Rob Coddins of Adrenaline Truck Performance in Meridian, Idaho. EFILive Duramax LB7 LLY LBZ LMM Cummins I have 5 tuning options available via switching "on the fly": 1) cleaned up stock tuning 2) heavy tow tune with turbo brake 3) light tow tune with turbo brake 4) 90 HP performance tune and 5) 120 HP performance tune. I've been running these programs for over 4 years now. Improvement in torque, economy, horsepower and turbo braking are very noticeable, also lower EGTs when towing steep grades. As far as I know, EFI Live is only available for GM and Dodge. I have seen some truck engines and transmissions damaged by "chips" so be careful if you go that route. I did have my 10 year old Allison trans beefed up a little by Inglewood Transmission, which just happens to be 4 miles from Disneyland...
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Adding power with a chip or box is great, But, the next weak link is the trans and stock transmissions don't like lots of added power thrown at them. You might get there quicker, or you might not get there. My 14 Cummins has more power than I will ever need. My 03 Cummins always got me there, stock.
X2 for my 06 cummins. I value predictable reliability since all I do is tow with it. 12mpg pulling 10k # in the mountains is good enough for me.

My peers who use tuners for different priorities have had premature wear on different subsystems but they dont mind when their daily driver goes in the shop. For me it is a trip/vacation interruption.

I am in for the long haul. (Pun intended) ;-)
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #17

They work OK for under powered engines. I had one on last pickup, ( er make that 2 pickups ago), but today's new Diesels don't really need them for towing chores. If you want to squeeze out every little bit of power it's a cheap way to go. I don't think they even make a chip, or module that works on the newer diesels that run DEF,unless it's been deleted.

The thing you have to worry about more than early drive train failures is piston melt downs. High EGT's. It happens all the text when someone throws to much timing advance and fuels it hard.

If 350-400 hp, and 800-900 lbs of torque doesn't work for you, you probably need an HDT.

A lot of folks who know nothing about engine parameters can ruin and otherwise nice engine by making just a few short steps pushing a button on a fuel controller. If you understand it, that's a different thing, but you still have monitor your gauges a lot.
Now that I full-time I keep the truck pretty much stock. I know that if a part fails, I can go to most places and buy it, and it will fit perfectly. Aftermarket might leave me stuck somewhere longer than I was planning.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
They work OK for under powered engines. I had one on last pickup, ( er make that 2 pickups ago), but today's new Diesels don't really need them for towing chores. If you want to squeeze out every little bit of power it's a cheap way to go. I don't think they even make a chip, or module that works on the newer diesels that run DEF,unless it's been deleted.

The thing you have to worry about more than early drive train failures is piston melt downs. High EGT's. It happens all the text when someone throws to much timing advance and fuels it hard.

If 350-400 hp, and 800-900 lbs of torque doesn't work for you, you probably need an HDT.

A lot of folks who know nothing about engine parameters can ruin and otherwise nice engine by making just a few short steps pushing a button on a fuel controller. If you understand it, that's a different thing, but you still have monitor your gauges a lot.
Now that I full-time I keep the truck pretty much stock. I know that if a part fails, I can go to most places and buy it, and it will fit perfectly. Aftermarket might leave me stuck somewhere longer than I was planning.

Several tuners/modules for new trucks (up to 2015s) work with all emission present to include DEF. They can add hp/tq will reducing EGTs and improve MPGs without adding or removing anything.
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #19

I've never known anybody with a tuner that got better Fuel mileage.
RVM #104
Old 02-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
In about a month I'll be adding a Banks Power Pack to my truck. You'll hear lots of people complain that the kit is over priced but by the time you get the box, exhaust system, air intake kit and address the turbo you've spent as much as the entire kit and no way I'm adding a box without addressing air at the same time.

Best part is, I've got the big NV5600 trans and Dana 80 diff, so hopefully I'm set power wise.
Save your money!

Install a set of Bosch 275 RV injectors. Same thing your engine came with in a MotorHome. Your performance will improve your towing and solo mileage will improve.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
I've never known anybody with a tuner that got better Fuel mileage.
I have improved my fuel mileage on my truck. I went from 9.35 MPG's to 11.5 to 12.3 MPG's when towing both of my 5er's after installing the Smarty S67 in the Summer of 09. I have over 7 years of data to back this claim up.

Now you know someone.

Jim W.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #22

Okey dokey.
RVM #104
Old 02-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I have improved my fuel mileage on my truck.
I've improve mine by a couple of miles/gal when towing. (Using the hypertech max) I didn't push it without the tuner and won't push it with it. I wished I had a pyrometer but I've been to cheap to spend the money. Hypertech folks say you don't need one with their tunes as long as you stay within the GCVW. However, I'm probably going to go ahead and bite the bullet on the gauge.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #24

Towing light some get away without damaging tranny. Towing heavy most build tranny. Newer trucks do not need it. I tow 20k and have plenty of power.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 PM   #25

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Save your money!

Install a set of Bosch 275 RV injectors. Same thing your engine came with in a MotorHome. Your performance will improve your towing and solo mileage will improve.
Thanks, while I didn't mention it I'll be doing those at the same time. I might do those first to see if I'm happy enough with that, but from what I've read on the 245HP engines they're only worth 35HP. I'd like to end up in the 325-350 range which is why I'm looking at the Banks kit.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
I've improve mine by a couple of miles/gal when towing. (Using the hypertech max) I didn't push it without the tuner and won't push it with it. I wished I had a pyrometer but I've been to cheap to spend the money. Hypertech folks say you don't need one with their tunes as long as you stay within the GCVW. However, I'm probably going to go ahead and bite the bullet on the gauge.
I had a pyrometer for 4 years and the wire broke at the sensor 4 years ago. With the Hypertech Max Energy I never saw any alarming temperatures. That was before the turbo instalation. You will do OK.
Hypertech has been designing emission safe/approved programes ever since the begining like Banks and they are affordable. They have all the power charts available and all settings have been extensively tested not to break the power train. It took over one year to come up with a programer for the 6,7L. They are only capable of improving the power and torque at over 2600 RPM. Not much better for towing.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
It's hard for me to understand owning an expensive (probably) RV and not spending a few dollars to provide a way to monitor EGTs. To me, driving without a pyro is akin to driving blindfolded. That's the very first thing I did to my truck when I got it.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Thanks, while I didn't mention it I'll be doing those at the same time. I might do those first to see if I'm happy enough with that, but from what I've read on the 245HP engines they're only worth 35HP. I'd like to end up in the 325-350 range which is why I'm looking at the Banks kit.
Try the injectors first. You can do the same with other products at far less money. I got caught up in the Banks Hype years ago with my 9812V. Do the injectors and if needed add a EDGE box.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel