Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #1

Diesel Fuel - how long before it goes bad?

I am storing my diesel truck and wondering how long before the diesel fuel goes bad? I do want to mention the truck is being stored in Florida. What effect will the heat have on the fuel? So far the truck has been in storage 3 weeks.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #2

Diesel fuel is very stable ,but I'd consider an additive with algaecide , particularly if your last fill was at a pump with a % of bio-diesel.
My coach regularly sits 5 months , with tank full, and no issues.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools...l-last-storage

Article is pretty good. Hope it helps. Store with tanks full.
MLiljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #4

My guess would be years in a sealed container or tank.

We have many fuel cells at work and some will sit many months between jobs. Never had a bad diesel issue on any of our machines.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Diesel fuel is very stable ,but I'd consider an additive with algaecide , particularly if your last fill was at a pump with a % of bio-diesel.
Agree.

It's not like gasoline where you need Stabil or similar.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am storing my diesel truck and wondering how long before the diesel fuel goes bad? I do want to mention the truck is being stored in Florida.
If you are positive that the fuel is dry as a powder and the fuel tank is full to the brim so there won't be any condensation from the humid air, then you won't need anything but a full tank for storage up to a year or so.

Quote:
What effect will the heat have on the fuel?
Heat of the ambient air in Florida? No problem.

But the high humidity in the air in Florida means you must take precautions. Be sure to fill up the tank to the brim. Then use a portable fuel can to top it off after you park it in the storage lot. That will probably be all you need to do.

But even one drop of water (or condensation) in the fuel will cause algea to grow like gangbusters. So if stored in Florida I would also add a biocide or algaecide using something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Service.../dp/B005IUP9LC

The article MLiljen linked to is pretty good. Note it includes two diesel fuel additives by Sta-Bil - the same folks that make Sta-Bil for your lawn mower engine.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #7

Just FYI:

The military has an obvious interest in fuel storage, given what they do, so they've studied storage life of fuels pretty closely over the years. The key is keeping the fuel cool and keeping the fuel dry. Under ideal conditions, diesel fuel can be stored between six and twelve months. To extend the life past twelve months, even under the best conditions, it needs to be treated with fuel stabilizers and biocides. If the fuel can't be kept cool, below 70 degrees F consistently, twelve months is the longest reasonable estimate for storage. Keep in mind that this is for diesel fuel, not ethanol blends or biodiesel blends.

Higher heat, such as Florida, will require treatment to prevent algae formation, one it gets started in a tank algae will cause numerous problems such as plugging filters and injectors, very expensive repairs. Stabilizers and algaecides are cheap insurance against problems.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Thousands of snowbirds practice this technique during their annual migrations.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:12 AM   #9

Careful w topping off tank too much. Fuel will expand w temp and overflow will be a mess.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #10

Thanks guys for the quick answers. I will only be storing the truck for 4 months so I am thinking I will be ok.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #11

I picked up my truck yesterday, It started and ran like a top. The truck sat in the Florida heat all summer. I drove it 200 miles, stopped and added 12 gallons of fresh diesel. I will now be driving the truck until I trade it in on another tow vehicle, next year or the year after or the year after that....

I figure in the next two months I will have cycled out most of the old diesel.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
Just FYI:

The military has an obvious interest in fuel storage, given what they do, so they've studied storage life of fuels pretty closely over the years. The key is keeping the fuel cool and keeping the fuel dry. Under ideal conditions, diesel fuel can be stored between six and twelve months. To extend the life past twelve months, even under the best conditions, it needs to be treated with fuel stabilizers and biocides. If the fuel can't be kept cool, below 70 degrees F consistently, twelve months is the longest reasonable estimate for storage. Keep in mind that this is for diesel fuel, not ethanol blends or biodiesel blends.

Higher heat, such as Florida, will require treatment to prevent algae formation, one it gets started in a tank algae will cause numerous problems such as plugging filters and injectors, very expensive repairs. Stabilizers and algaecides are cheap insurance against problems.

What he said. Where I work we keep over 30K gallons in above ground storage tanks, in the Florida heat. We usually filter and treat it every six months, but we're dealing with life safety power generation, so we overkill on purpose. A decent treatment should do you fine, but be prepared to drain your fuel/water separator soon after driving it again.
MagnaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel