Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #43

The time needed between oil changes depends substantially on whether or not it reaches and maintains enough heat to boil off acidic contaminants. That time varies with ambient temperature but is usually 15-30 minutes.

This is far more important than the distance driven.

Collyn (ex Vauxhall/Bedford Research)
Collyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #44

Oil has been getting better and better and will last a lot longer than it used to. I think oil sampling will confirm this. But, given the longer oil change intervals, are the filters keeping up? Do we have to change filters every 10,000 miles but oil only every 20,000 miles? It's hard to get information about filters but I do know that there are good and bad filters. A bad filtration system will ruin your engine a lot faster than bad oil.

One thing I would like to see is a differential pressure measurement across the filter element, to be displayed on the instrument panel. That would tell us the condition and expected life of the filter. Note that when the filter gets full the differential pressure will increase to the point that the oil flow is bypassed arount the element and filtration no longer takes place. I'd like to know if this is occurring but there's presently no way to know.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Oil has been getting better and better and will last a lot longer than it used to. I think oil sampling will confirm this. But, given the longer oil change intervals, are the filters keeping up? Do we have to change filters every 10,000 miles but oil only every 20,000 miles? It's hard to get information about filters but I do know that there are good and bad filters. A bad filtration system will ruin your engine a lot faster than bad oil.

One thing I would like to see is a differential pressure measurement across the filter element, to be displayed on the instrument panel. That would tell us the condition and expected life of the filter. Note that when the filter gets full the differential pressure will increase to the point that the oil flow is bypassed arount the element and filtration no longer takes place. I'd like to know if this is occurring but there's presently no way to know.
I have no substantial data or specifics to offer but I dont worry about filters plugging based on a couple pieces of info...
1) Some auto mfg now recommend filter change every other oil change. I can't see that extreme but even with extended oil drain intervals they have little / no concern or they would require filter at every change
2) I've had oil samples analyzed (MH & boat diesels)to set change intervals. The recommendations from lab were to extend use. I would think high particulates due to plugged filters would show up on analysis.
I agree a pressure differential gauge would be helpful.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I have no substantial data or specifics to offer but I dont worry about filters plugging based on a couple pieces of info...
1) Some auto mfg now recommend filter change every other oil change. I can't see that extreme but even with extended oil drain intervals they have little / no concern or they would require filter at every change
2) I've had oil samples analyzed (MH & boat diesels)to set change intervals. The recommendations from lab were to extend use. I would think high particulates due to plugged filters would show up on analysis.
I agree a pressure differential gauge would be helpful.
I would say that you should use only a filter element sold by the vehicle manufacturer because only they know the specifications. At least they don't publish them so there's no way to know if an off- brand is any good. Among the things that matter are how much dirt the element can hold, what is the particle size it captures and what percentage of that size are actually caught by the element.

The best way to ensure well filtered oil is to install a bypass filtration circuit in addition to the full flow filter. But I think you will only find that on larger engines.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #47

The last time I looked on the Blackstone website they don't routinely do a particle size analysis, but they will do one for an extra fee. I think it's a good idea to do one. You can also have the dirt analyzed for chemical composition and that will give you an idea where the dirt is coming from.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #48

I believe it is less expensive to change the truck often and the oil seldom than the other way around. Excessive maintenance might benefit the next owner but it comes at a cost to me.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I believe it is less expensive to change the truck often and the oil seldom than the other way around. Excessive maintenance might benefit the next owner but it comes at a cost to me.
lol,do you tell the prospective buyers that when you try and sell it to them?
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifoot View Post
lol,do you tell the prospective buyers that when you try and sell it to them?
Only if they ask. I try to replace my truck before it requires maintenance by anyone's standards. My current truck only has about 14,000 miles on it and I've had my next truck on order for 6 months already. The thing is that when it comes to changing oil I'm quite sure for, most everyone, changing engine oil every 20,000 miles would be adequate. We own equipment with over 25,000 hours on the engine that gets oil changed every 600 hours (which is the manufacturers recommended change interval). This equipment is used in extreme dust and at high rates of fuel delivery. 600 hours in a pickup would likely equate to about 20,000 miles and 25,000 hours could be pushing 1 million miles in a pickup.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #51

I thought I heard it all

Replacing an 80 000$ truck is cheaper than maintaining it? OMG

I think someone flunked math class. Calculating $ per mile overall is not hard. 5-6 extra oil services over the lifetime of the vehicle won't break the bank. Refinancing a truck 10-15x over a lifetime WILL hinder retirement plans for many.

I think some people beat the crap out of their rigs then just pass it on to some poor unsuspecting buyer, or some dealer takes it on trade and wholesales it to another unscrupulous reseller.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve written this before. The very large trucking co I worked for changed oil based on testing. The truck I team drove regularly put in 4500 miles a week. It was looked at monthly ( pmi) and oil regularly wasn’t changed. Filters were. ( 20,000 miles? ) The leased trucks got oil changes about every 4 months and the owned trucks longer time went by. I checked the oil level at start of shift everyday and knew when it was changed. A little math will give you some big numbers. These trucks all went over a million miles with minimum maintenance. Anyone doing oil sampling knows oil has a much longer service than 1year /5000 miles
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post

I think someone flunked math class. Calculating $ per mile overall is not hard. 5-6 extra oil services over the lifetime of the vehicle won't break the bank. Refinancing a truck 10-15x over a lifetime WILL hinder retirement plans for many.

I think some people beat the crap out of their rigs then just pass it on to some poor unsuspecting buyer, or some dealer takes it on trade and wholesales it to another unscrupulous reseller.

If you regularly trade every couple years I can see his point. He’s not keeping the pickup 10-15 years. The dealer on trade doesn’t ask questions.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
If you regularly trade every couple years I can see his point. He’s not keeping the pickup 10-15 years. The dealer on trade doesn’t ask questions.
I understand, hence my comment on the poor suckers who end up with these ill-maintained heaps later on.

Trading in every year or 3 is super expensive!
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #55

generally I fall on the "pro" side of preventative maintenance and I agree with kdauto; oil changes are relatively cheap insurance. That said, oil doesn't automatically become no good at 5,000 miles and don't get me started on the time/interval based changes - those are the biggest scam ever; to maintain the warranty on my Jaguar I had to change the oil every 20,000 kms or 1 year (whichever comes first!)....one year I was forced to change the oil at 1700 kms.....

If you are really "frugal" and/or are trying to save the environment by eliminating a couple oil changes, then do the changes yourself and send the oil for testing so you get a clear picture on when it needs to be done.......if you don't want to go to that hassle, error on the side of caution. BTW, I have a small fleet of trucks that I run until 500,000 kms or so...

Dave
Old 12-01-2021, 05:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post

There's no financing involved. It's just a matter of keeping it new as opposed to letting it depreciate way down before replacing it. Here's a couple pics of my beat to crap truck as it is right now approaching the 1 year old mark .... I don't think you'd feel like a poor sucker if you were the one who ended up with it:

Tags
oil change