Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

Do you follow the manufacturer’s recommended oil change interval?

Hey guys. I just wonder how many of us are doing oil change by the manufacturer’s recommended interval? Ford recommends 10,000 miles interval for my 7.3L gas F250. The factory fill and dealer fill are all synthetic blend. I don’t see how synthetic blend can last 10,000 miles towing heavy use. I changed my oil myself after 1,200 miles break in and I use full synthetic 5w30. 5,100 miles later for the second oil change this May, and the e oil didn’t look so bad. I just had my 3rd oil change done yesterday after 6,300 miles towing. The oil looks pretty nasty (dark, viscous). It seems like the 10,000 miles interval is ridiculous, even with full synthetic. I’d only run up to 6,000 miles between each oil change. I’m I over-doing it?
Btw, my 7.3L is awesome. It doesn’t have any oil consumption problem some other folks experienced. And it take 8.5 qt oil to the full mark (manual says 8 qt).
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Id say you're right on. If they publish a severe duty maint sched for that engine I d use it. 10k might be ok, and you can always use the oil testing method but I see more frequent oil changes (including that first early one at around 1,000) as cheap insurance.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I change the oil every 6000 miles or 1 year, whatever occurs first.
( I use full synthetic)
Old 11-23-2021, 03:34 PM   #4

My F350 6.7 tows over 90% of the time so I avg about 7500 miles.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #5

I change my F250 6.7 diesel every 5,000 miles when towing. May stretch it another 1,000 miles if I have not towed.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I've been having the oil changed at 5000 miles (especially when towing) and the fuel filter at 10,000 miles.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:35 PM   #7

Every 5,000 miles for me.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #8

Seems we all do it earlier than the recommended interval. Thanks folks. At least Ford didn’t say their transmission fluid is “lifetime”. I just felt 10,000 miles is unreasonably long, especially for their motorcraft synthetic blend.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
Hey guys. I just wonder how many of us are doing oil change by the manufacturer’s recommended interval? Ford recommends 10,000 miles interval for my 7.3L gas F250. The factory fill and dealer fill are all synthetic blend. I don’t see how synthetic blend can last 10,000 miles towing heavy use. I changed my oil myself after 1,200 miles break in and I use full synthetic 5w30. 5,100 miles later for the second oil change this May, and the e oil didn’t look so bad. I just had my 3rd oil change done yesterday after 6,300 miles towing. The oil looks pretty nasty (dark, viscous). It seems like the 10,000 miles interval is ridiculous, even with full synthetic. I’d only run up to 6,000 miles between each oil change. I’m I over-doing it?
Btw, my 7.3L is awesome. It doesn’t have any oil consumption problem some other folks experienced. And it take 8.5 qt oil to the full mark (manual says 8 qt).
Take an oil sample and follow their recommendations
Old 11-23-2021, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylandorsea View Post
Take an oil sample and follow their recommendations
That is what I've done and a believer in testing vs "opinions"
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
That is what I've done and a believer in testing vs "opinions"
Black stone lab?
Old 11-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #12

I've used JG Lube Services for MH & boat & happy with response & reports. He is an iRV member and belueve offers a 10%? Discount to members. I've used them for coolant tests as well.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:31 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I generally wait until the oil life monitor shows less than 15% life remaining before scheduling the change unless we have a trip coming up that would likely put it past that. If that is the case then I just have it changed a bit early. The number of miles between changes based on the percent left does vary depending on how hard it is working - usually falls in the 5-7K range. It seems to run a little longer between changes when it is almost all towing miles. I no longer have a daily commute and it won't be returning so there hasn't been many miles other than tow miles since early 2020.

At 20K I sent the first oil sample to Blackstone Labs and got a better than average report back for wear metals. The TBN showed plenty of additives remaining so if I end up having to run longer between a change based on the sample testing that shouldn't have any negative effect. I will be sending in the next sample at around 40K so it will be interesting to compare the numbers and see how things look.

I run the OEM-recommended Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5W30 and Motocraft filters as the dealer does the changes.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I generally wait until the oil life monitor shows less than 15% life remaining before scheduling the change unless we have a trip coming up that would likely put it past that. If that is the case then I just have it changed a bit early. The number of miles between changes based on the percent left does vary depending on how hard it is working - usually falls in the 5-7K range. It seems to run a little longer between changes when it is almost all towing miles. I no longer have a daily commute and it won't be returning so there hasn't been many miles other than tow miles since early 2020.

At 20K I sent the first oil sample to Blackstone Labs and got a better than average report back for wear metals. The TBN showed plenty of additives remaining so if I end up having to run longer between a change based on the sample testing that shouldn't have any negative effect. I will be sending in the next sample at around 40K so it will be interesting to compare the numbers and see how things look.

I run the OEM-recommended Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5W30 and Motocraft filters as the dealer does the changes.
Agree with this totally. The built in oil change monitor on modern trucks is better than any arbitrary mileage number pulled out of thin air. The diagnostic, engine monitoring data on modern trucks knows exactly how hard the engine has been used, how many startup cycles, ,etc. All the things an owner could never account for…

If you are the type that likes to be conservative and change sooner than later then just change when the oil life monitor says 20% or whatever number you are comfortable with. More accurate than always changing at some arbitrary mileage number.
Sv Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil change