Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2005, 06:07 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
After a little over a year and way too much money in our used '99 F-350, it is time to think new truck. I did all the homework, checked all the servie records, and had the truck looked at by a trusted diesel mechanic defore buying, but I guess I got what I paid for. Thinks keep breaking and I am fed up with it. So, my dilema is what to replace it with. I like the Dodge's, but am considering gas over diesel because of diesel prices and the desperaty in price of gas vs diesel trucks. The weights on the 3500 Hemi look like they would be fine for our trailer, but does anyone have any experiance towing 10,000 lbs with the hemi.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2005, 06:07 AM   #2

After a little over a year and way too much money in our used '99 F-350, it is time to think new truck. I did all the homework, checked all the servie records, and had the truck looked at by a trusted diesel mechanic defore buying, but I guess I got what I paid for. Thinks keep breaking and I am fed up with it. So, my dilema is what to replace it with. I like the Dodge's, but am considering gas over diesel because of diesel prices and the desperaty in price of gas vs diesel trucks. The weights on the 3500 Hemi look like they would be fine for our trailer, but does anyone have any experiance towing 10,000 lbs with the hemi.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:57 AM   #3

The gasser is fine for pulling any thing ,as far as gas v diesel price ,you have to factor in the mpg and the price per gal . I know the Dodge V 10 can pass most every thing on the road except in the mountains ,thirty present loss of power at ten thousand feet .Thin air loss of power. Tow mileage about six to seven on the flat at your speed, v10 diesel eleven to thirteen at your speed .Add up the price per gal and factor in the miles for each see what you get then make your up you own mind what to do . No matter if its gas or diesel slow it down for better mpg. Skipper entry level over fifty years.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:32 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I'd be careful looking at the recent anomalies in diesel prices and basing decisions on this data. Over the last weekend, diesel has fallen below unleaded regular once again here in the Houston area. Typical prices at Chevron and Shell were:

Diesel - $2.399
Regular unleaded - $2.499
Intermediate unleaded - $2.599
Premium unleaded - $2.699

Having towed with a Dodge V-10 (6.5 MPG) and Cummins HO (10.5 - 11.0 MPG) over the same route and same speeds, the diesel was our choice. As an aside, diesels here in Southeast Texas are in high demand as compared to HD gassers which one almost can't give away, so most of the initial cost premium for the diesel powertrain is recouped on resale.

Just some thoughts from one who has tried it both ways (V-10 and diesel).....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are seeing diesel less than regular here again. As for pulling performance, the Hemi, while a fine engine, or the Ford V-10, will not come near the pulling power of a diesel.

Look at the torque output as that is what does the tugging.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #6

Just filled up at Flying J in Carslisle, PA this afternoon, and diesel is still $0.18 higher than regular gas here. I paid $2.579. That is the highest I can remember paying since I had this truck. I did some quick calculations and estimated about a 5 year break even point to compensate for the differences in mileage and the additional upfront cost of a diesel using current prices. The deciding factor I guess is the fact that after 5-7 years I probably would need to replace the gasser, while the diesel would still be running strong. It is going to be a tough decision.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #7

Diesel fuel is getting closer and closer to the price of reg. Think MPG. Think about driving 350,000 miles + before you need a new truck.

That cummins diesel will pull anything up anything.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Have you thought about the Ford v10? It now has 3 valves per cylinder and it's hp and tq ratings are close to that of a diesel. Also the Ford v10 is very durable.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Deisel price vs gas price will probably change daily. In my part of NJ, Diesel still is lower than gas. Only seen a few times whers diesle was higher.

Personally, I wouldn't use this as a guide. I prefer to tow heavy loads with a diesel. MOHO
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:11 PM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Rick A:

I wouldn't look for diesel fuel to be priced near (or below) regular gasoline anytime soon in Pennsylvania. Diesel fuel users pay an additional 6.4 cents per gallon in state fuel tax vs. those who use gasoline.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Revenue
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #11

Rick A go with the diesel you won't be sorry, what you gain in power and mileage will out weigh the cost of fuel in the long run. Took my 04 Dodge 2500 in January from MD to IA on a hunting trip was averaging around 21 mpg, it was great. Good Luck
coolcatmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:12 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick A:
Just filled up at Flying J in Carslisle, PA this afternoon, and diesel is still $0.18 higher than regular gas here. I paid $2.579. That is the highest I can remember paying since I had this truck. I did some quick calculations and estimated about a 5 year break even point to compensate for the differences in mileage and the additional upfront cost of a diesel using current prices. The deciding factor I guess is the fact that after 5-7 years I probably would need to replace the gasser, while the diesel would still be running strong. It is going to be a tough decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you include the maintenance cost differences between gas & diesel in your calculactions? How many miles per year did you assume would wear out a gas engine in five years? I just sold an eleven year old 35 foot motorhome last fall with 61,000 miles on a 454 that still ran perfectly and used less than half a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. The myth that gas engines won't hold up in RV service is due to misuse and abuse. The newer, more powerful generation of gas engines, combined with five speed transmissions are far better than anything built previously.

2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD CC 8.1L/Allison
Alan554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:22 AM   #13

61,000 miles for a MH may be considered high milage, but for a diesel pick-up truck tow vehicle, it's just getting broken in. The life of a CTD is 300k - 400k, with some getting over 1M miles.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #14

The resale value or trade in value has to be considered as well. I did a value comparison for a one year old 3500 Dodge on kbb.com on a Hemi and a Diesel. Everything the same except the engine. The Diesel was 7K higher on value. More than the initial cost for the upgrade.
rufnit is offline   Reply With Quote