Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2006, 07:05 AM   #1

Hi folks...

Anyone towing a 5'er with a Dodge 3500 Mega Cab? That 6 1/4 bed looks like it could be awful tough turning except with a Gendale Titanium maybe...

Thanks for any info!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2006, 07:05 AM   #2

Hi folks...

Anyone towing a 5'er with a Dodge 3500 Mega Cab? That 6 1/4 bed looks like it could be awful tough turning except with a Gendale Titanium maybe...

Thanks for any info!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:24 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i saw one going down the road, sure did look like the rv was climbing into the bed, havent seen one up close, but i am sure a good slider hitch will solve most of the sharp turning issues. its still pretty close to the same length the other short beds are,
I dont know why we cant have the nice rigs fromt eh late 70's with avan front end and big roomy cab with captians chairs and nice tow bed, they were short and easy to park. plus ROOMY inside
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:57 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I looked at one at the car show a few months back. You will definately need a slider hitch. The only way I would use the Mega Cab for towing a 5th wheel is with a Superglide Hitch . Comparing the numbers for interior room, the only advange the Dodge has over a Ford crew cab is leg room. Shoulder and hip room were both lower on the Dodge. Now if they widened the cab a hair, and put a long bed on, it would be a no brainer, Dodge all the way.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the only advange the Dodge has over a Ford crew cab is leg room </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must haven't ever pulled with a Dodge CTD. It'll yank the frame out from under whatever it's pulling, while the Ford will be in the repair shop getting more warranty work done on it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:21 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the only advange the Dodge has over a Ford crew cab is leg room </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must haven't ever pulled with a Dodge CTD. It'll yank the frame out from under whatever it's pulling, while the Ford will be in the repair shop getting more warranty work done on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
you know that just isnt right

are you sure it wasnt the cummins, yanks itself out of the dodge frame , because its embarrased to be trapped in such a ugly body
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides

Old 05-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:

You must haven't ever pulled with a Dodge CTD. It'll yank the frame out from under whatever it's pulling, while the Ford will be in the repair shop getting more warranty work done on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree the Ford Powerstroke has nothing on the Cummins. But I will say my 7.3 Powerstroke will pull my trailer all day and night just fine, 208,000 mi and running strong. The only reason I bought a Ford was for the crew cab. At the time Dodge only had the quad cab, which is not nearly roomy enough for a family of 6. Truth be told, my ideal truck would be my truck with the cummins conversion. Big, roomy, true long bed, and tons of power. Argh, Argh, Argh!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #8

Hey, Back to the main question.. We are also looking at the Mega Cab to tow our 5'er with.
It does look very tight and even with the slider, the hitch is going to be 4" closer to the cab than with an 8' bed... The slide hitches only give you up to 10" of travel.

Anyone with a Mega chip in Please....

2006 Ford King Ranch F350DW 4X4 w/Towpac 6.0
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:25 AM   #9

The bed in the MC is the same as the quad cab with a short box. There are many people that happly pull 5th wheels using sliding hitches with that combo, but I am not one of them. After briefly considering a short box quad cab, I decided that the long box quad cab was the way to go. Dodge's short box is TOO short IMHO for towing a 5th wheel. If Dodge had made the Mega Cab with a more modestly sized cab and a 7' bed, it would have been a great 5th wheel puller.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:05 AM   #10

And I agree with you on that Ken....The Mega Cab is certainly unsurpassed in creature comforts for those in the rear. Maybe Dodge will receive enough "suggestions" from the RV buying public and extend that bed in the next couple of years...
Old 05-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #11

Thanks for the input...

We have decited to go over to the Dark Side...

I ordered a Ford F350 DW King Ranch today...

Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 PM   #12

OOOHHHHH the HORROR.

He has been taken by the dark side. There is no helping him now.

Hopefully he will soon see the light (the one that comes on when you open the hood), and correct his meandering ways.

Enjoy the new tow vehicle, new toys are always fun.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:19 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aviator:
Thanks for the input...

We have decited to go over to the Dark Side...

I ordered a Ford F350 DW King Ranch today... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good decision, did you order the tow boss package?
its light years ahead in towing.....i was scared of them 4.30's but now i couldn tlive with out em.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #14

Hey Chief,
Yeppers on the 4.30.... Got the whole kitty in this one.

Old DC1 here myself