Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #57

Complain about which, the tow vehicle or trailer?
sellis1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post
Complain about which, the tow vehicle or trailer?
The OEM brake controller that shows a trailer disconnect message when the trailer is connected.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #59

Why would you assume it's the brake controllers? Have you ruled out the trailer?
sellis1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #60

jlb - - Just a thought, can you connect your 5ver into the bumper 7-pin as a test? I had a similar problem and the bumper plug was solid. Problem was the wiring to the bed plug.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #61

Yes, I can. I have read about the bumper plug either coming apart or connections in it becoming corroded. I have dipped the trailer plug into CLR and it looks better now. Thinking back on when the "trailer disconnected" message showed up. I had been towing the trailer for 3 days. About 1000 miles. Crossing Monarch Pass the road was wet and after reaching the bottom of the pass, driving about 15 miles the first message showed up.

I stopped, checked plug, it was OK, and went on into town about 10 miles with the message coming on a few more times. At that time I was plugged into the bed socket. I have used the bed socket for 3 years with no issues.

Going to take the wiring apart at the bumper plug and see if moisture got into the plug.

Hard to fix a intermittent issue.

Thanks Jim
Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
Quick answer is NO. The OEM controller looks at deceleration rate, pedal position and vehicle speed. If you are checking with the truck stopped, you will only get about 5vdc at the plug. If you are at speed, hit the brakes you will get a higher voltage and increased amps. The electric brakes work off current, not voltage. Most magnets will draw 3 amps each @ 12vdc. The OEM controller does work like the older, under the dash, mounted controllers.

My 14.5K trailer has 2x7K brakes. I have my controller set on heavy elec @ 5. works great when it works. My issue is it at times shows trailer is disconnected.

In a previous post I listed the web site of the NHSA, please write and complain.

Jim
This gives me a question about the Dodge/Ram OEM controller. I understand that when driving it senses many factors in determining the amount of power to provide to the brakes. If I manually actuate it at the controller, does it still proportionally respond or does that over ride and provide full voltage?

I know I have at least two issues with the truck connector. 1 - No left turn signal/brake light (confirmed by verification of no voltage in truck connector and a trailer check with a different voltage source) and the fact I have no trailer brakes when connected to the plug in the bed. Going back to the dealer for visit #3 this week. They have a factory rep coming in.
BluesmanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #63

Update - "suddenly" it looks OK. The light problem was a blown fuse. I checked the brakes and have voltage in both connectors to the brakes and I think it is adequate voltage under load. We'll find out for sure when I haul the trailer to NH in 3 weeks. Right now, they say the truck was OK all along. I don't know but I would rather have the braking action I seem to have now than be right.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:45 AM   #64

Thanks, Keep us in the loop. When you check voltage at the plug in both places I read that to be in the bed and the bumper.

Are you parked?
What is the controller settings?
What voltage are you seeing?
Do you have a resistance load so the controller thinks it is hooked to a trailer?
Example: trailer plugged into the bed socket and checking at bumper socket for voltage and vise versa.

I really need to get mine sorted out.

Thanks Jim
Old 08-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #65

When I performed my checks this weekend, I had the trailer plugged in and was reading the brake system voltage off the brake wiring on the camper, not the other plug. It did seem that selecting the profile for "Heavy Electric over Hydraulic" got most voltage to the system. The gain was set at 6.5. We are off for NH in 3 weeks so that will be our test. It looks OK now.