Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #85

I guess my credentials aren't worth crap

Seems like I'm getting "schooled" here by people that have never mounted a tire in their life. I guess I took all the trade school training and dozens of extra classes and training seminars for nothing.

Y'all use nitrogen, I'll quit commenting on it in this thread.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleplay View Post
Who’s we?

The test that I looked at is done by Consumer Reports which is not a marketing agency and clearly shows hydrogen filled tires leaks %50 less. I’ve also personally observed this over the course of years and I don’t pay for it.
End of discussion for me you do what you want.
Seal is made by pressure which holds the bread against the rim. I don't understand how one would leak more than another. Could you explain please.
Franey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franey View Post
Nothing can increase your load capacity except stronger frame. More load range tires, or tires filled with helium will only give you more safety factor, but will not increase load factor of trailer.
Oh really! If the load capacity of your vehicle is 2k as an example then this is calculated with the axle load taken into account. If you use helium it will decrease the weight because it is lighter than air and it pushes UP on the vehicle ever so slightly. It may be in the millionths of a pound but it’s still a force. How do hot air balloons fly? By magic? No by physics. If it becomes lighter than air it goes up. You haven’t added an engine or rocket booster you just changed the air in the balloon. Simple, I thought.
I posted because I love this topic because of all the notions that float to the top. Just like hot air. My next favorite topic is about gas mileage. Just for the record my mileage is better than yours when I’m going downhill because the helium in my tires decreases the rolling resistance of my tires thus I literally fly down the hills. I working on a prototype wing set that I can use to actually achieve lift off. That should br something.
As Einstein would say, “that’s a joke”. Read and believe at your own risk.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Sorry to disagree but this sounds odd to me.

Yes the drag increases with speed and I can see the 62% increase from 55-70.

However the examples show the drag decreasing as the speed increases.

Am I missing something. Physics 101 was a long time ago.
I agree with you. Drag increases with speed. It is multiples by 4 times from 35-70 mph. You will reach a speed at which drag and gravity will stop further acceleration. That is when the affects equal the weight of the vehicle.

Here is a good article on drag.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-economy/aerodynamics.htm
Old 10-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
How do they get all the air and moisture OUT of the tire after mounting it before adding the nitrogen? Seems the wheel would need two valve stems. One to apply a vacuum and the other to add the nitrogen.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #90

Hot air floats to the top??? Then why are all the mountain tops covered in snow and the valley is not? Just kidding...
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #91

Sound reasonable

Drop your speed.

We pull a heavy 5th wheel, 2018 Solitude with a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, Duramax diesel.

Highway speeds of 80 without trailer and I get consistent 20mpg.

With trailer at 60 and easy terrain, 10-10.5mpg
At 65 it drops to 9 and rarely do I do 70 but it then drops to 7.5-8mpg
Over the Rockies doing 45-50 (stated speed most of the time) lucky to get 5mpg!!!

It’s all about the speed.
SkeetandJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:58 AM   #92

Nitrogen was introduced by manufacturers as a ploy to get customers to come back into their service centers for something as simple as a low tire light. People tend to be sheep that way and they knew it would increase the sales and service numbers. I check my tires on my equipment with a good quality air gauge myself. I add any needed air myself as well.
Nitrogen is not necessary…. Hydrogen is flammable.
What was the topic of this thread again?
RVtravelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:03 AM   #93

Quote:
Nothing can increase your load capacity except stronger frame.
Oh yea, back on topic….
Ugh…. Well… a stronger frame helps but it may not be the limiting factor.
The weakest link would be the factor to address.
RVtravelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:49 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVtravelz View Post
Oh yea, back on topic….
Ugh…. Well… a stronger frame helps but it may not be the limiting factor.
The weakest link would be the factor to address.
I think (hoped) my point was made. Helium in tires will not, can not increase load capacity. That was determined when the vehicle was engineered. If you put more load capacity tires on the vehicle, you only increase the safety factor. The frames and axel does not change, and they are the real determining factor.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:51 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeetandJudy View Post
Drop your speed.

We pull a heavy 5th wheel, 2018 Solitude with a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, Duramax diesel.

Highway speeds of 80 without trailer and I get consistent 20mpg.

With trailer at 60 and easy terrain, 10-10.5mpg
At 65 it drops to 9 and rarely do I do 70 but it then drops to 7.5-8mpg
Over the Rockies doing 45-50 (stated speed most of the time) lucky to get 5mpg!!!

It’s all about the speed.
Yup. And drag.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:53 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Oh really! If the load capacity of your vehicle is 2k as an example then this is calculated with the axle load taken into account. If you use helium it will decrease the weight because it is lighter than air and it pushes UP on the vehicle ever so slightly. It may be in the millionths of a pound but it’s still a force. How do hot air balloons fly? By magic? No by physics. If it becomes lighter than air it goes up. You haven’t added an engine or rocket booster you just changed the air in the balloon. Simple, I thought.
I posted because I love this topic because of all the notions that float to the top. Just like hot air. My next favorite topic is about gas mileage. Just for the record my mileage is better than yours when I’m going downhill because the helium in my tires decreases the rolling resistance of my tires thus I literally fly down the hills. I working on a prototype wing set that I can use to actually achieve lift off. That should br something.
As Einstein would say, “that’s a joke”. Read and believe at your own risk.
Wow, you should be as high as the clouds. Hot
air rises.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleplay View Post
Who’s we?

The test that I looked at is done by Consumer Reports which is not a marketing agency and clearly shows hydrogen filled tires leaks %50 less. I’ve also personally observed this over the course of years and I don’t pay for it.
End of discussion for me you do what you want.
To me this doesn’t make sense. I just surveyed my neighbors and I didn’t find one person who could remember when they checked their tire pressure. When I asked when was the last time they had their tires rotated they didn’t understand the question.
On my truck I adjust the pressure twice during the year. Once for normal use with lower pressure for for the off season and once to a higher pressure during my travels.
As anyone who has an sir compressor knows the more you use it the more water you get in the tank. If you ever wondered what the little valve was on the bottom of the tank I’ll tell you now. It’s used to drain out the water on a regular basis. If you’ve never done this then start now. Most water inside the rim and tire comes from this excess water that wasn’t drained. That’s where the corrosion comes from.
This type of thread is the reason why I belong to this forum. It’s so much fun reading comments from others who almost demand that you think exactly like they do. Where did the practice of letting others disagree with us go? Have we gotten to the point that we demand that others think the same and if they don’t we try to shame them?
I don’t understand all the arguing on this site. We should give our opinion and listen to others. If we don’t agree then move on with what you believe. Way too much time I’d spent trying to prove points. I believe this is still the land of the free and the home of the brave. Isn’t it?
Old 10-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #98

Quote:
Wow, you should be as high as the clouds. Hot
air rises.
I would like you to reread the post. Apparently the physics part was just glossed over. Please give a more detailed explanation. I believe we all understand that hot air rises. That’s the whole point. Also helium is lighter than sir. That’s the whole point. The interaction between these two gases is the whole point. What part of my post do you not understand. I consider myself to be a good teacher and I would like the opportunity yo clear up any misconceptions you may have.
Class is now in session.