Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 11:32 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I would like you to reread the post. Apparently the physics part was just glossed over. Please give a more detailed explanation. I believe we all understand that hot air rises. That’s the whole point. Also helium is lighter than sir. That’s the whole point. The interaction between these two gases is the whole point. What part of my post do you not understand. I consider myself to be a good teacher and I would like the opportunity yo clear up any misconceptions you may have.
Class is now in session.
I fully understand the physics. That is how hot air balloons float. The large balloon is filled with enough hot air to over come the weight of the basket and occupants.

You can not get enough helium in your tires to lift the vehicle as you say. You are the one that does not understand, what you say is Impossible.

To lift your car would take a HUGE amount of helium. The amount in your tires is a change of weight of maybe 100 grams.

A quote from PHYSICS, "Helium is less dense than air. Helium has 0.0114 pounds per cubic foot. For a one cubic foot helium filled balloon , gravity pulls the down on the helium with a force of 0.0114 pounds while the air pushes up with a force equal to the weight of the air the helium displaced, or 0.0807 pounds. The difference in the up and down force is 0.069 pounds. Therefore each cubic foot of helium could lift 0.069 pounds. In order to lift 100 pounds (which would include the weight of your load, the balloon, and the helium) you would need 1449 cubic feet of helium. This would require a balloon with about a 15.5 foot diameter. If instead you used small spherical (one foot diameter) balloons (which holds about 0.526 cubic feet of gas), it would take over 2754 of them to lift the 100 pounds." That is 1449 cubic foot to lift 100 pounds. Physics. That would be A LOT OF GAS TO LIFT 4000 POUNDS.

https://www.uu.edu/dept/physics/scienceguys/2000July.cfm

Another article for you to read if you have to fill your tires with other than air, like nitrogen, which really isn't much better than air.

I'll keep filling with air and check-in pressure periodically and not worry about floating away. If you really think you can make your car tires with enough helium to float a little, then keep on dreaming.

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/top-4-myths-vs-facts-about-using-nitrogen-to-inflate-car-tires
Franey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 12:41 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVtravelz View Post
Nitrogen was introduced by manufacturers as a ploy to get customers to come back into their service centers for something as simple as a low tire light. People tend to be sheep that way and they knew it would increase the sales and service numbers. I check my tires on my equipment with a good quality air gauge myself. I add any needed air myself as well.
Nitrogen is not necessary…. Hydrogen is flammable.
What was the topic of this thread again?

Our atmosphere is 80 % nitrogen.

They are the same people who think you can move a sailboat by blowing at the sails.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franey View Post
I fully understand the physics. That is how hot air balloons float. The large balloon is filled with enough hot air to over come the weight of the basket and occupants.

You can not get enough helium in your tires to lift the vehicle as you say. You are the one that does not understand, what you say is Impossible.

To lift your car would take a HUGE amount of helium. The amount in your tires is a change of weight of maybe 100 grams.

A quote from PHYSICS, "Helium is less dense than air. Helium has 0.0114 pounds per cubic foot. For a one cubic foot helium filled balloon , gravity pulls the down on the helium with a force of 0.0114 pounds while the air pushes up with a force equal to the weight of the air the helium displaced, or 0.0807 pounds. The difference in the up and down force is 0.069 pounds. Therefore each cubic foot of helium could lift 0.069 pounds. In order to lift 100 pounds (which would include the weight of your load, the balloon, and the helium) you would need 1449 cubic feet of helium. This would require a balloon with about a 15.5 foot diameter. If instead you used small spherical (one foot diameter) balloons (which holds about 0.526 cubic feet of gas), it would take over 2754 of them to lift the 100 pounds." That is 1449 cubic foot to lift 100 pounds. Physics. That would be A LOT OF GAS TO LIFT 4000 POUNDS.

https://www.uu.edu/dept/physics/scienceguys/2000July.cfm

Another article for you to read if you have to fill your tires with other than air, like nitrogen, which really isn't much better than air.

I'll keep filling with air and check-in pressure periodically and not worry about floating away. If you really think you can make your car tires with enough helium to float a little, then keep on dreaming.

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/top-4-myths-vs-facts-about-using-nitrogen-to-inflate-car-tires
This is getting hilarious. I didn’t say it would make a big difference. I was making a point that the difference between the gases is so small that it doesn’t make a difference. If the difference is only 1 gram then that is measurable but in the real world it doesn’t matter. If you can’t tell the difference between humor and your pseudoscience then I won’t be able to help you understand.
If you hook up a hot sir balloon to your truck and it exerts 800 pounds of lift would that give you at least 88 pounds of temporary capacity. I believe that you would agree that when the air cools the capacity would decrease. How about this. Fuel the balloon burner with gas from your tank. As the gas gets lighter your capacity goes up. As your gas is used your capacity goes up because your fuel weight is lower. Does this make sense? I believe that that’s why the carrying capacity of a truck with a crew cab, Diesel engine, canopy, or snything else that’s adds weight decreases capacity. I hope you understand this basic fact. Extra weight decreases capacity. Less weight increases capacity. Really a simple concept to understand. A perusal of a weight capacity chart will clearly show this. Again, if you fill your tires with helium it will increase you capacity because it lessens the actual weight. It may be small but it’s still there.
I’ve never caught such a big fish with such a small hook in my life. I’m going to spend the next several minutes reeling my catch in and then taking a photo. I think I’ll use black and white film for dramatic impact. Film and flashbulbs are still available. That is a topic that can be disputed at a later date if necessary to do so.
Off to get some popcorn and orange juice as I await the next well reasoned reply.
It’s called hyperbole. I thank my parents for instilling in me the idea that I can learn from others and that if I don’t have anything material to say that I should not expose my shortcomings by talking too much.
I won’t even go into my theory that there is a way to counteract the down force that is applied to formula 1 cars. They handling and cornering are fantastic compared to a car without wings. The wings add weight to the car. How can wind speed add weight to a car? Ask Orville or Wilbur. Maybe if you turned the wings over it would lessen the down force and you would always finish last. Funny how that air stuff works.
To those who read my posts please be aware that you do so at your own risk and that I try to convey an opinion with humorous examples. If I need to improve my technique please let me know. Life is too short to always be fighting crusades.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker View Post
Our atmosphere is 80 % nitrogen.

They are the same people who think you can move a sailboat by blowing at the sails.
You’re getting into dangerous territory here! You say 80%. Others say 78%. That could lead to a big hubbub on this topic. Can’t we all just get along and stop trying to always prove others are not only wrong but also stupid. I’ll follow your posts because I can tell that you actually exercise your gray matter.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #103

Why don't you try taking it out of Tow/Haul mode and see how it tows. If it doesn't constantly downshift and seems to hold its speed on level ground, I am sure your mileage will increase substantially and you won't have to listen to that screaming 6 ball. Running 60 to 65 will also help! Also, turn off the cruise control.
My 2007 V10 BT Cruiser towing a GMC Terrain gets 12 mpg @ 65 mph.
jgarner401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #104

Quote:
This is getting hilarious. I didn’t say it would make a big difference. I was making a point that the difference between the gases is so small that it doesn’t make a difference. If the difference is only 1 gram then that is measurable but in the real world it doesn’t matter. If you can’t tell the difference between humor and your pseudoscience then I won’t be able to help you understand.
If you hook up a hot sir balloon to your truck and it exerts 800 pounds of lift would that give you at least 88 pounds of temporary capacity. I believe that you would agree that when the air cools the capacity would decrease. How about this. Fuel the balloon burner with gas from your tank. As the gas gets lighter your capacity goes up. As your gas is used your capacity goes up because your fuel weight is lower. Does this make sense? I believe that that’s why the carrying capacity of a truck with a crew cab, Diesel engine, canopy, or snything else that’s adds weight decreases capacity. I hope you understand this basic fact. Extra weight decreases capacity. Less weight increases capacity. Really a simple concept to understand. A perusal of a weight capacity chart will clearly show this. Again, if you fill your tires with helium it will increase you capacity because it lessens the actual weight. It may be small but it’s still there.
I’ve never caught such a big fish with such a small hook in my life. I’m going to spend the next several minutes reeling my catch in and then taking a photo. I think I’ll use black and white film for dramatic impact. Film and flashbulbs are still available. That is a topic that can be disputed at a later date if necessary to do so.
Off to get some popcorn and orange juice as I await the next well reasoned reply.
It’s called hyperbole. I thank my parents for instilling in me the idea that I can learn from others and that if I don’t have anything material to say that I should not expose my shortcomings by talking too much.
I won’t even go into my theory that there is a way to counteract the down force that is applied to formula 1 cars. They handling and cornering are fantastic compared to a car without wings. The wings add weight to the car. How can wind speed add weight to a car? Ask Orville or Wilbur. Maybe if you turned the wings over it would lessen the down force and you would always finish last. Funny how that air stuff works.
To those who read my posts please be aware that you do so at your own risk and that I try to convey an opinion with humorous examples. If I need to improve my technique please let me know. Life is too short to always be fighting crusades.
I guess I did miss the humor. I thought you were serious about it helping by making thinks lighter.
Franey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:22 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franey View Post
I guess I did miss the humor. I thought you were serious about it helping by making thinks lighter.
Thank you. The point I was trying to make was that people get all worked up over nitrogen and why not use helium. With the benefits I noted. See you on the next post
Old 10-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #106

Quote:
Thank you. The point I was trying to make was that people get all worked up over nitrogen and why not use helium. With the benefits I noted. See you on the next post
I knew you were joking as the statements were quite outrageous.

On a scientific standpoint though, one could use nitrogen,CO2, argon or even helium and obtain the same benefits. ANY inert gas would do the same as nitrogen. Too bad people get duped into thinking this wonder gas we all breathe in every day is all that. Nobody seems to care what the purpose was initially nor in what domain it was used.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
How do they get all the air and moisture OUT of the tire after mounting it before adding the nitrogen? Seems the wheel would need two valve stems. One to apply a vacuum and the other to add the nitrogen.
It’s been a few years since I quit racing, but back in the day, NASCAR tire mounters would fill tires with dry nitrogen then purge it 3 times refilling with nitrogen each time. This did not result in 100% N, but close as they could get.

May not be the same today.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote