Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritDoc View Post
I had a 2013 supercrew Lariat with the 5.0. At that time there were some trouble reported with the Ecoboost. When going across country with our Flagstaff 27 RLS, we ran across a couple at Little America, Wyoming. He had the Eco boost and was pulling an identical trailer. He told he was lucky to see 8-9 mpg. We were averaging 12-13 mpg with the v8. Never had any trouble with the truck staying around 60-65 mph or grunting in the mountains. DW decided she wanted a bigger 5th wheel so we traded for a 350 with the 6.7. we'll see how this works.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
You do realize that you're trying to convince people that tow regularly that:
1. You averaged 12-13mpg with a V8 truck towing a TT weighing most likely north of 7500 loaded.
2. You did this while maintaining speed in mountains.
3. Your V8 did this without "grunting".

I gotta say, this has my BS meter pegged!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #58

Dustman - agree, that is kinda bogus. I had a 5.0 litre F-150 and I can tell you towing just 5,300 lbs I got 9.8 to 10.5 depending on the wind and mountains. I towed 65 - 70 usually.

I am paying attention now and looking for the eco-boost badge on F-150's. I see a dozen if I go to 2 shopping centers.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #59

Wow, I am seeing $9,500 discounts on the 2018 F-150 3.5 eco-boost XLT. Think I can get the same discount on a 2015 Ford eco-boost Lariat ?
Old 04-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #60

"Made me look..." Maybe?
http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....FOmAdRAWq14%3D

https://www.autonationfordstpetersbu...earchDepth=1:1

Better equipped, a tad closer to home, similar discounts:
http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....ndowsticker%27

https://www.sunrise-ford.com/Vehicle...rchQuery=18174

Watch for demos this time of year...
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #61

As always Dave, intriguing trucks.

Ford offers a few features that I think put them ahead of Ram/Chevy.

1. 36 gallon fuel tank. I had this on my 2011 5.0 litre and it was great.

2. Key Pad entry. Typically not a big deal unless you are me. No key fob at the beach is priceless.

3. Power/towing of the 3.5 litre eco boost.

4. I like the aluminum body as all trucks will do this eventually. Ford is ahead of the pack.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Wow, I am seeing $9,500 discounts on the 2018 F-150 3.5 eco-boost XLT. Think I can get the same discount on a 2015 Ford eco-boost Lariat ?
That's most likely just invoice pricing minus rebates. You should ALWAYS be able to get that easily on must about anything. Working via dealerships internet departments i've always gotten that with zero haggling.
The key is getting even further below that. I got the ram in my sig for 6% below invoice and then rebates off of that. Through the internet department. No haggling.

Never look at MSRP. I always deal based on invoice.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #63

Wow 6% below invoice. Good deal for sure.
I can get the X-Plan on Ford but might do better without the X-Plan.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Wow 6% below invoice. Good deal for sure.
I can get the X-Plan on Ford but might do better without the X-Plan.
I can get the X plan as well. But i'd certainly start without it. Shop the dealer, not the vehicle. Dealers can move vehicles from another dealer to their lot and make the deal if the other dealer won't.
And of course you can custom order new just the way you want it. I've done that many times. Price on those has always been invoice minus rebates. And then weeks/months of waiting. But i'm very picky.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just got our Fusion Sport (2.7l ecoboost) back after cylinder head replacement under warranty TSB. We’ve probably driven it less than 500 miles and it’s back in the shop for low oil pressure warnings and over temp error codes. We’re 150 miles from home and I’m hoping it’s safe to run enough to hook it to the motorhome and tow it back with us. Right about now I’m thinking about a slant 6 Dodge Dart as an upgrade. My Fiats were more reliable.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #66

Quote:
The Ford 3.5 Eco-Boost has been out since 2011. Is this a reliable engine in real life? I have seen the original torture test but realized they do not market the failures.
well, a quick web search reveals many problems with the the ecobust, even recalls.

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/p...9d7da0385d676#

"ecoboost" is a great marketing gimmick. why? nearly all cars of all brands are turbos, and so all are ecoboosters.

people seem entirely unaware the label is a compound word; eco + boost. eco means an economy mode for gas savings, but gives very low power. the boost is for high power, and will guzzle gas. fact: I drove a '13 ecobust towing 8k#, and averaged 6 mpg; hardly something to shout about.

to be fair, the '17+ ecoboosters have dual ports now, which supposedly will solve many problems and give some longevity. must wait and see about this.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:58 AM   #67

I had a Dodge Swinger with a slant 6 engine. You could not give me another Dodge Swinger.

For those that love old cars realize that the new cars are so much better than those old disposable, hard to start rust buckets. Manufacturing techniques have improve leaps and bounds over late 1960's and 1970's.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:15 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The Ford 3.5 Eco-Boost has been out since 2011. Is this a reliable engine in real life? I have seen the original torture test but realized they do not market the failures.
I purchased a new 2013 FX4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and have 59,000 trouble free miles. I tow my Polaris razor in an enclosed 18 foot trailer and at 65 mph I get 9-11 mpg. Plenty of power. Gas milage I average 15.6 around town. My neighbor has a 2017 with the 10 speed trans and gets 17.5. Alot of great trucks on the market look and drive them all.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:18 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
well, a quick web search reveals many problems with the the ecobust, even recalls.

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/p...9d7da0385d676#

"ecoboost" is a great marketing gimmick. why? nearly all cars of all brands are turbos, and so all are ecoboosters.

people seem entirely unaware the label is a compound word; eco + boost. eco means an economy mode for gas savings, but gives very low power. the boost is for high power, and will guzzle gas. fact: I drove a '13 ecobust towing 8k#, and averaged 6 mpg; hardly something to shout about.

to be fair, the '17+ ecoboosters have dual ports now, which supposedly will solve many problems and give some longevity. must wait and see about this.
A quick search on almost any motor will find many problems and recalls so you find what brand you prefer and go with it. The idea of "eco" and "boost" is pretty obvious in the name and if someone doesn't understand that with some research then that is on them. Fact: I tow a roughly 7800lb camper and average between 9.5 and 10.5. It's all in how you drive and where you drive as to what mileage you should expect I think.
abart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #70

Agree, you can find issues with any vehicle. The 3.5 Eco 'or' Boost is still my top pick. It is really amazing decent mileage as a daily driver and can tow while running at a leisurely 2,700 RPM.

My current 1st gen modern truck tows well with a turbo diesel, it will not shift but adjusts turbo boost to pull up an incline nice an smooth.

Do I understand the new Ford engines correctly. They have both MPFI and DI fuel delivery? Seems that is more concern than the turbo?

Tags
buying