Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #1

Double Towing

i have homes in arizona and michigan - i drive a 3/4 ram. i need to find a way to get my toys back and forth, my jeep and my motorcycle. i think ideally a hitched 24ft dovetail flatbed would do the trick, but i'm looking at upwards of 3500 for a used trailer, and i'm sure i'd still need to do some work on it for the 2150 mile trip.

what are the legalities of flat towing my jeep and having a utility trailer with my motorcycle hitched to my jeep? are there any other options? my bike won't go in the back of my truck, its a bagger and i've got a shortbed, just won't happen.
styck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #2

Is this going to be a one time trip or a regular occurrence? Have a friend drive the jeep to your destination and give them a bus ticket back. Another option is to buy a second bike or jeep and have one at each home.
Towing a train 2000 miles will put you at a high risk of having problems, if not legally, then mechanically.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #3

Have to check the laws in your home state, the state you're going to and the states you'll pass through. That's the only way you'll know.

In Texas the pickup towing the jeep towing the utility trailer would be legal provided you don't exceed 65 ft total in length and the Jeep is light enough that it would not require supplemental braking.

You have to comply with each individual state on this one and what they allow varies some.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
A 3/4 ton will pull a 24' gooseneck with two Jeeps on it, no problem, so it should work well for you too. I've done it many times.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I posted this a couple of months ago in response to a similar post.

Pulled this configuration from Michigan to AZ last fall, and return trip this spring. 40' CC DP with Cat C9, 10,000 pound hitch, adequate GCWR) towing 2012 Ford Edge (4800 pounds) and a 7X12 Cargo trailer with our 2012 BMW K1200LT/Hannigan Trike conversion. Plus our golf clubs and other misc. Trailer, loaded, was around 3000 pounds.

Take no shortcuts or improvisations on the towing setup, including lights and brakes. You want the entire setup to be "by the book."

Yes, check the laws in every state you plan to go through. The laws vary. Also look at overall length restrictions. (we are right at 70' overall length).

From a practical and logistic standpoint, it wasn't difficult. Just have to think ahead and plan every stop, and be extra on-the-ball with every merge and lane change.

We had the capability to split our rig and tow the trailer either with the car or directly behind the coach if necessary. Only did that once, at a campground that couldn't accommodate our combined length.

I researched the question with our home state DOT (MI). and Highway patrol. They said, no law against what you are proposing, and you won't get pulled over in MI. Just to be on the safe side, though, I took the exam and upgraded my DL for what MI calls "Double R" Recreational towing (a designation explicitly created for pulling a boat behind a fifth wheel trailer).

We drove through quite a few midwestern and southern states, saw lots of LLE and state patrol (and they saw us), but nobody gave chase. Navigated quite a few very large metro areas, albeit using the bypasses whenever possible, including Dallas-Fort Worth, St. Louis, Memphis, El Paso, with no issues. Just plan your lane changes, exits, etc, well in advance. Tight campgrounds and city streets will likely be your biggest challenge.

Nice bonus was having the trailer available as a garage for the cycle when you reach your destination.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You don't mention your RV so I'm not clear about your overall need and package.

I have a short bed pickup (6.5') and I transport my bagger in it. I pull it behind a motorhome. In order to spread the load out (reduce concentrated tailgate "spot" load) I have a sheet of 3/4" plywood down with a chock mounted in front. It extends over the tailgate, intentionally, so I cut it and installed hinges to fold it into bed after bike is out so I can close the tailgate.

You may be pulling with your truck in which case this info is useless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201019_171256.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	307003
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #7

What your proposing is legal in 33 states last I checked. If I remember correctly it was legal in all the state you would likely be in. The east coast and west coast are where it's not allowed.
I would think you would want brakes on both of your "trailers". I would certainly want them on the last one so you can apply them to straighten out the combo if it gets to swaying.
It will be a lot of trouble to get all the hitches, light wiring, and brakes set up. I would just buy a large enough trailer to haul both "toys." Are you saying $3,500 is too much? That sounds like a bargain compared to the work and expense of setting up your vehicles for double towing. How does a guy with a nice truck, jeep, bike, and two homes have a problem paying $3,500 for a trailer. That shouldn't be any problem at all.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #8

Towing doubles is legal in Ca so its not the whole coast states.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Towing doubles is legal in Ca so its not the whole coast states.
I believe you'll need a CDL to do so in California.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
I believe you'll need a CDL to do so in California.
Non commercial class A
Old 11-14-2020, 01:07 AM   #11

Im going to go out on a limb here. One trailer, like 22' for the jeep and the bike. Bike mounted at one end of the trailer sideways, and jeep normal. Thatll get you the shortest youll be able to go. If you really want to put the bagger facing forward, whats another 6ft. That could be done with a gooseneck easily and no wear on the jeep.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:17 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
The California endorsement "T" for double and triple combinations is for the CDL only and does not include the non-commercial Class A.

See page 1-5.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/upload...6/comlhdbk.pdf

Note: While I have no experience in California, I have read that California will not accept other states non-commercial double towing endorsements. If you get stopped in California double towing an RV, you better have an alternative plan for the second trailer.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:58 AM   #13

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/b...TOLqcTQfYeC4ic
Old 11-15-2020, 10:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
The California endorsement "T" for double and triple combinations is for the CDL only and does not include the non-commercial Class A.

See page 1-5.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/upload...6/comlhdbk.pdf

Note: While I have no experience in California, I have read that California will not accept other states non-commercial double towing endorsements. If you get stopped in California double towing an RV, you better have an alternative plan for the second trailer.
I dont really understand how they can say that your licensing isnt legal if its legal in your home state, but that just stacks another reason to never cross that border.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing