Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #15

Here is where it says you need a class a to tow more than one trailer https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...dl648/dl648pt2
And i have an email from CHP that i saved when i asked if towing 2 bumper pulls was legal. Like i said, ask each state.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #16

No matter what any website OR EVEN THE STATE DMV has to say.... If a cop decides that HE THINKS what you are doing is illegal - he WILL stop you and find ways to make your day suck a wet mango.

I pulled "double" with my coach while evacuating from Hurricane Irma. Drove through 3 states and past no less than 50 state troopers with this setup, and not a single one even BLINKED at the combination. Either they didn't care, or they KNEW why I was set up in this way and it looked safe enough to them.

Not that they knew it, but I had chase cars behind me (also with trailer) and no lights on the trailers b/c the wiring on the RV wasn't functioning.

Meanwhile, on a different trip, I had a disabled Jeep up on a 4-up trailer being pulled by the Jeep in this picture. I was minding my own business in a rest stop, and a state trooper looking for some entertainment pulled in and decided he didn't like the look of my setup, b/c there wasn't a plate on the disabled Jeep.... And decided that since I didn't have registrations for Crapnetticut (I don't live there) and was within that state.... He was going to impound everything (at 4pm on the Friday of a holiday weekend) and I could just suck it. GEE THANKS trooper barney fife. For a bloody document violation that ENDED UP BEING TOSSED OUT AS INVALID - he stole 4 days and over $1000 from me.

If they want to screw with you, they are gonna screw with you. The only answer that always works is to blend in with the herd and try not to be noticed by them.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #17

All of the fishermen do it all of the time here in Arkansas
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
FWIW. I have two friends got hammered in Colorado. Another guy I know didn’t just get a ticket, was not allowed to move. Big fine, had to have a friend come get his trailer. Illinois
Old 04-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Here is where it says you need a class a to tow more than one trailer https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...dl648/dl648pt2
And i have an email from CHP that i saved when i asked if towing 2 bumper pulls was legal. Like i said, ask each state.
Good advise.
I would add "do not ask the state if its legal to triple tow" as size and weight dot officers will know your asking about towing three trailers. And the answer will be No in most cases.
Your asking about a double tow or three vehicle combination (truck/trailer/trailer).

Also ask if its legal to two doubles with two bumper pull trailers. Some states say no....some are ok with it.

Some years back we had a newb ask the same question. He was given the same advise but listened to the wrong folks and asked about triple towing. Of course the officer told him it wasn't legal.
Some advised him to re ask about towing doubles. The same officer told him towing two trailer was legal. So yes it makes a difference what you ask.
Learn the correct terminology before asking a size and weight dot officer questions.

Not all state trooper go thru their states size and weights school for certification. Just because you pass state troopers and they do nothing about your situation doesn't mean anything.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:24 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good luck finding a travel trailer that will have a bumper or frame strong enough for towing a boat behind it.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Its not triple towing, its doubles. Triple towing is 3 trailers.
Florida considers the tow rig truck or motorhome vehicle 1
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
No matter what any website OR EVEN THE STATE DMV has to say.... If a cop decides that HE THINKS what you are doing is illegal - he WILL stop you and find ways to make your day suck a wet mango.

I pulled "double" with my coach while evacuating from Hurricane Irma. Drove through 3 states and past no less than 50 state troopers with this setup, and not a single one even BLINKED at the combination. Either they didn't care, or they KNEW why I was set up in this way and it looked safe enough to them.

Not that they knew it, but I had chase cars behind me (also with trailer) and no lights on the trailers b/c the wiring on the RV wasn't functioning.

Meanwhile, on a different trip, I had a disabled Jeep up on a 4-up trailer being pulled by the Jeep in this picture. I was minding my own business in a rest stop, and a state trooper looking for some entertainment pulled in and decided he didn't like the look of my setup, b/c there wasn't a plate on the disabled Jeep.... And decided that since I didn't have registrations for Crapnetticut (I don't live there) and was within that state.... He was going to impound everything (at 4pm on the Friday of a holiday weekend) and I could just suck it. GEE THANKS trooper barney fife. For a bloody document violation that ENDED UP BEING TOSSED OUT AS INVALID - he stole 4 days and over $1000 from me.

If they want to screw with you, they are gonna screw with you. The only answer that always works is to blend in with the herd and try not to be noticed by them.
Sadly, that is pretty much true. If LEO wants to mess with you, get ready to be messed with. I've had discussions over CDL's and driving hours, among others, where I would show them in the DOT manual what the law said. Their response was almost always "Not in my state" or "Not on my road."
Old 04-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #23

There a LOT of people that do that here in Texas. Just make sure your rig is up to the task and hit the road!
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was in a campground in Texas and the guy beside owned me carnival rides and was travelling to another carnival.

He had four small trailers with rides on them behind his coach.

I asked him if that was legal...he said he had never been stopped.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I was in a campground in Texas and the guy beside owned me carnival rides and was travelling to another carnival.

He had four small trailers with rides on them behind his coach.

I asked him if that was legal...he said he had never been stopped.
Road Train! That's only legal in the bush of Australia! I'm amazed he wasn't stopped.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:57 PM   #26

Most states require that the first towed vehicle be a 5er.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:41 AM   #27

But not all.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #28

I'm not even sure it's most...

Some do

Some don't

You'll just have to check.

Tags
guide, tow, towing