Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #1

Downside of 36' trailer?

Lost my 31 ft Jayco Jayflight 'bumper hitch' to flood waters and now finally ready to get another. Looking at a used 36' Hornet bumper pull ( just under 8000# GSWV) and concerned about negotiating and/or available camp ground sites with that length. Haven't done lot of camping, however I have extensive experience pulling 30 ft gooseneck with 3/4 ton flatbed with heavy loads so not concerned about that. I have the friction type load leveling and sway bar and not sure if this is adequate. I have a 2016 3/4 ton GMC Denali with the diesel and Allison Transmission. (Great Truck). Looking for opinions and experience from those who have been there and done that, please.
La Landlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #2

I see no issue with getting into camp grounds at least in my experiences with my 35 ft tt Ive had no problems getting a site. Your truck is fine for the job. You know what the tongue weight is? I us the 4 point equalizer WDH. Later RJD
acinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

Is 36' the brochure weight or actual? If it's brochure it will be another 3-4 feet from bumper to ball. I labored extensively about TT length and ended up going to a 5th wheel. I just didn't want 35+ feet hanging off my bumper.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #4

My TT is 34'. With my crew cab truck, it's about 55' long. It can be tight in some CGs, but think it through, approach from the correct way (some CG roads are skinny and have obstacles, so the correct angle is important), and plan ahead.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #5

Depends on where you live and camp. Me personally I would never get a TT that big living in Oregon. Too many place where we camp that with a TT that long we would limit ourselves to fewer CG's and within those CG's fewer spots available.
I would start looking at where you want to camp and then look at those campgrounds and see how many sites you can fit in.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #6

We've had no troubles with our 35 foot and long bed truck. We camp mainly in state campgrounds across the country, COE campgrounds and RV parks. A good weight distribution system/sway control will set you up right.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #7

My TT is 38' and with my truck it is pretty long but most every place I have gone that has size restrictions have larger spots to accommodate than what they advertise. I just don't go into a new CG without checking it out first, sometimes on foot. I learned my lesson on that one!
24shofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #8

My last conventional travel trailer was a 35 footer. I towed it with a 3/4 ton Suburban. I don't recall the length causing me any problems. If it's what you want, go for it!

Happy trails,
Old 05-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

Purchased a 37' Keystone Passport 3350BH back in Sept. Have been limited on location within campgrounds but never campground itself... just put in your specs (Water, full hookup etc) and pic appropriately --- have been to 5 state parks and 2 county parks - ZERO problems (ALSO equalizer 4)
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #10

Great information

Thanks for all replies. Will follow through with the purchase and hope to get on the road soon. Best wishes and safe traveling to all. I live very near Fontainbleau State Park in Mandeville, La. Great area with some of the best food you will ever eat. Try the Lakefront area restaurants on the north shore of Lake Ponchetrain. Beautiful view and food.
La Landlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer