Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

Driving Question

I'm coming from driving a 39' class A. When making your turns with the mirrors you could see both ends off the rig to see your clearance of the end of the Rv. Now with my 34' 5th when making a right hand turn I can see the end of rig on passengers side but not the drivers side which I am blind visa versus on a left hand turn.

I take it that when making your turn the blind side should follow and not swing out hopefully not hitting anything. All you can do is watch the side that you are urging on, correct? Kind of a helpless feeling!
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #2

Correct........

5th wheel tires track inside the radius of turn of the truck......so wider tow vehicle turns are needed

'You don't drive the truck...you drive the trailer'

Tail swing becomes a concern when driving away from:
Campsites with obstacles on either side
Gas stations....watch them guard poles
Making 'U' turns
Whenever 5vr is close to any object and you are pulling away and have to turn
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:16 AM   #3

You have to visulize what the back of the trlr is doing.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Correct........

5th wheel tires track inside the radius of turn of the truck......so wider tow vehicle turns are needed

'You don't drive the truck...you drive the trailer'

Tail swing becomes a concern when driving away from:
Campsites with obstacles on either side
Gas stations....watch them guard poles
Making 'U' turns
Whenever 5vr is close to any object and you are pulling away and have to turn
I agree with this also, but there is one thing you can do to help when pulling out of camp sites and fuel islands. Always have a second observer standing in the rear of the camper watching you as you pull out. Make sure that you can see them in your mirrors and go slow when leaving.

I tend to use truck stops to fill up the truck and these usually have enough room to swing wide as a semi does.

I also plan my turn in advance looking at the intersection and when making a turn I always swing wide as possible.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.
Correct... Going forward most TV's don't turn sharp enough to cause your tail-swing to be more than what your TV's rear axle is. As old-biscuit stated, the trailer tracks inside.
Using a spotter in tight surrounds is a good recommend. You'll get used to it as you adapt from the MH which probably had just as much tail-swing.
Go to a vacant parking lot with a couple safety cones. Plant one near your rear TV tire, then pulling forward till your trailer tires miss it, cut hard then stop when your whole trailer clears the cone. Stop and go drop the second cone near your trailer bumper. It'll give you an idea of the width opening that might require a spotter rolling forward.
Backing these angles /distances can get more exaggerated and a spotter is highly recommended.
Sometimes aux. mirrors, cameras can help, but no substitute for dead reckoning and a spotter.
It's been noted before by drivers I know that a 40' metro bus is more difficult to maneuver in city traffic than a 65' articulating metro bus. ymmv
Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #6

I can sadly vouch for the tail pivot swing and gas pump guard poles--cost my insurance about $6500 and me $1000. Spotter is a good idea, and slow movement is also good.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote