Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Dual Axle Trailer Tongue Weight

Hello, All

On a trailer with two axles, does the "10-to-15 percent of gross weight on the tongue" rule still apply?
Or does that second axle change the game?

Seems like physics demands only that there be 10-15% more weight ahead of the axles than behind them- but how would one calculate that on a dual axle setup that spans as much as four feet of trailer length????

I've been mulling this over all day and it's just making my head hurt, so I thought I'd Ask The Experts...

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #2

for me yes i inherited a bumper pull a 2008 silver fox 30u the tongue weight is 1300 total weight 7700 i guess the front slide is a killer i dont know about bumper pulls so im not the man i know the 10% is for my ski and bassboats
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
yes tounge weight is what give you stability. On my Truck conversion RV i run my jeep allmost all the way forward on my trailer. My truck has such a heavy duty rear suspension it doesn't squat the rear at all. I think i run about 20% tounge weight load on mine.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I understand the rule on a trailer with a single-axle pivot point- weigh the trailer, and make sure that 10-15% of that number is ahead of that point.
But where's the pivot point on a dual axle trailer???
It's almost like there are three zones- the zone over the double axle being "static weight" that pushes straight down.
That's "x" number of pounds.
It seems to me that you'd need to know that number, subtract it from gross weight, and use what's left over as the number you calculate your "10-15 % for the tongue".

Does that make any sense at all???

Thanks-

Francesca
Old 09-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes tounge weight is 10-15% on 2 axle trailers. The trailer should be near leval with dual axles.
Fishing2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
But where's the pivot point on a dual axle trailer???
Depends on the trailer suspension design. But it doesn't matter. You want 10 to 12 percent hitch weight, and ideally try for 11 percent. More than 12 percent up to about 15 percent is okay if your tow vehicke has the capacity for that much hitch weight, but not ideal. Less than 10 percent is a killer, regardless of the number of axles on the trailer.

Determining the hitch weight at home is tough unless you just happen to have a scale that will go up high enough. My expensive bathroom scale goes up to only 350 pounds, so it won't work for a trailer over about 3,000 pounds trailer GVWR. But you can buy a trailer hitch scale for about $135 that will do the trick.
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales

If you don't have a trailer hitch scale, the answer is to go to a truckstop with a CAT scale and cross the CAT scale twice, once with the wet and loaded trailer and once without. Subtract the weight on the truck axles without the trailer from the weight on the truck axles with the trailer tied on. The difference is your hitch weight.

Most CAT scales will give you the second weighing free if you do it within a few minutes of the first weighing. But if you have to shift the weight distribution of the cargo to get about 11 percent hitch weight, then you may need more than two trips across the scale.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
No matter whether the trailer is a single, double or triple axle, you still want to have about 12% (10% on the low end and 15% on the high side) of the loaded trailer weigh on the tongue. Generally, under 10% and the trailer will be less stable. 15% maybe too much for the tow vehicle to carry.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

Smokey,
Most scales require full fee if you drive off and come back for a re-weigh. It can be done on one pass--simply position the trailer on one section with the tongue jack where it will come down on same section. Then get weight recorded and run the tongue jack down to where it takes all the trailer weight off the tow vehicle, but does not begin to lift it (easy to see). Have a second weight recorded and drive off and pay. I usually get charged $2 for a second weight ticket if I don't drive off. This same precedure can be worked to where you can get ALL axle weights for both TV and trailer. My 450 and fiver can be set with front truck axle on one section, rear axle on second axle and fiver on 3rd section where the landing legs will also be on the 3rd section. This gives weight readings that result in all axle weights and the pin weight without driving off.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Most scales require full fee if you drive off and come back for a re-weigh.
No, Joe, not "most" scales. Most scales at truckstops are CAT brand scales, and here is their current reweigh policy from their website:
Quote:

What is CAT Scale’s reweigh policy?

A reweigh for $1.00 may be charged, after the first weigh, if all of the following are true:
  1. Same vehicle (tractor and trailer),
  2. Full price ticket is presented by the customer and its number is recorded on the reweigh ticket,
  3. Reweigh must be from the same scale as the full priced ticket,
  4. Reweigh must be within 24 hours of the full priced ticket.
I am really having a problem getting legal, is there a limit on how many reweighs can I get for $1.00?

We know there are times when it is difficult to get a load legal, after paying for a full price weigh and two reweighs (for a charge of $11.00), all further reweighs will be voided until you are legal. The reweigh that shows you legal will be the last one you will have to pay for. The total charge would be $12.00.
That policy apparently changed recently because last time I checked a few years ago it was a free reweigh if you did it within an hour or so of the first weigh. That gave the trucker time to move some cargo about, or maybe unload some cargo, to shift the weight on the hitch and trailer axles to keep the chicken koop LEOs happy.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #10

Just passing on what I was told...at any rate, it isn't necessary on scales with 3 or more sections to drop the trailer and weigh solo. Altho, it can be difficult to walk the scales to lift the trailer and helps to have someone spot for you where the landing legs/tongue jack is sitting.

You mentioned that you no longer have your Ford and trailer? That was surely a long-time assocation--must have been hard to part with them?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the responses, all

So- a second axle has no effect whatsoever on ideal tongue weight, is that the consensus?

Single axle, double axle, triple axle- doesn't matter.

Ideal tongue weight is simply a percentage of trailer weight, right?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 09-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, you got it right. In order to determine if your tongue weight is correct, you will need to have the trailer loaded fro travel and go through a weighing procedure.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks!
This helps-
I asked because I'm helping a friend shop, and we're running into a LOT of dual axle units that start out with distressingly low tongue weights, even allowing for added LP tanks and battery...
These are NEW units, too- what are manufacturers thinking???
We'll strike those off the "might buy" list!

Francesca
Old 09-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #14

Would you mind naming some of the units you have found this on?

Tags
dual axle, tongue weight, trailer sway