Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I don't understand the "tiny house" craze. While the customization aspect can be fun, they are just so heavy, so small (usually no slideouts), usually poorly adapted to road travel and not accepted in all campgrounds.

15k lb A frame tiny house, yeah, you'll need a dually. Without discounting other makes, GM's dually suspensions are among the best. Simple, well-balanced for loaded/unloaded and handle a LOT with little to no squat, no expensive and unreliable mods needed.

For me, it will be more of a custom built RV. I've spent so much time and effort into modifying my travel trailer to be exactly what I want, I'm practically rebuilding it myself. Why go through the trouble of tearing down a perfectly good one to rebuild it when I can just start from scratch?

You're right about some of those things though. They rarely have slide outs, and aren't normally built for actual travel. Most are put on trailers to avoid zoning and inspection regulations and restrictions. If I can find a salvaged toy hauler with a nice weight rating, I can tear the shell off of it and reuse the slides and trailer and parts of the foundation to rebuild it exactly as I want.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Im not sure if you have seen this video before, but it sums up proper loading of a trailer pretty good in 45 seconds.

I have indeed seen that video before. It just never occurred to me how much weight I added to the rear until you pointed it out. The more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes. I guess I'll be filling the fresh water tank before my next trip to help redistribute the weight properly. (It's up near the front.) I think I even have a couple of tool boxes in the rear storage that I can move up to the front storage under the bed. Sheesh I feel like a dummy...
Old 05-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #17

A tiny house is built so much better than an RV. You can build a tiny house with a lot of nice features. I like that idea. Build it to be towed with the front edge slanted like a travel trailer.

I like the idea[emoji106]
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A tiny house is built so much better than an RV. You can build a tiny house with a lot of nice features. I like that idea. Build it to be towed with the front edge slanted like a travel trailer.

You might be onto a new niche there. I always think the destination trailers would be awesome but wow, someone else would have to tow the thing, i dont want any parts of that.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

It's that build quality that I'm mostly looking for. To get that in a factory built RV, I'd be looking at six figures at least. I spent less than that on my last house. I'm pretty sure I can build what I want for around $35,000 and it would be leaps and bounds ahead of any RV in that price range.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #20

We have a TT that's 10K lbs, 38.5' tip to tail. I pulled it the first two years with a Ram 2500 CC/SB Cummins. Since January I have been using a new DRW Chevy LB as we prep for an eventual switch to a FT 5er. I still use the same WDH with friction swaybar that I always used. Honestly, I can't tell a difference at all in the pull, and I've already drug the thing almost 4K miles with the duelly this year including a Key West run in February right out of the gate to break the Chevy in. Not saying the Chevy duelly doesn't pull good, its smooth. But the 2500 Ram pulled that thing like a dream and I never had suitability issues at all.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #21

I would ditch the two anti-sway bars and install Reese dual cam anti-sway struts. If they are compatible with your WDH bars, you can create a pretty stiff hitch joint for a couple of hundred bucks. Or, you could go with a Hensley or Propride hitch, certainly less than a new truck. All should keep you in your lane if your tongue weight percentage is correct. Each solution would probably be adaptable to a homemade trailer.

A dually would help; eight rear tire sidewalls instead of four for lateral stiffness.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think your plan would work using a toyhauler frame as a starting point. The weight of a tiny house would be far too much. That is why they always use Gooseneck utility frames to build them on. Much sturdier frame design with a Gooseneck vs a 5th wheel frame.

The other issue with tiny homes besides the weight is the waste hookups. They never really discuss that on any of the TV shows and it is a big part of why many communities have banned them. You can use a composting toilet if you want but I for one do not want to scoop poop and that still does not answer what you do with gray water. It's not really practical to move the thing to a dump station once a week so that leaves you with RV parks, if they will allow it, or buying a piece of land, if the county will allow it.

After all that you could have just bought a good 4 season trailer. They do exist that are well made and well insulated.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer