Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Dually side bed steps- boards

I run a 2016 F350 dually as my tow vehicle. Getting older- it's hard to get anything out of the front of the bed without climbing over the side while hitched up. Another thought is we are buying a 5th wheel and getting to the hitch will be problem. Any suggestions on steps or short running boards that I can install in front of rear tires? Thanks!
engineer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 05:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer78 View Post
I run a 2016 F350 dually as my tow vehicle. Getting older- it's hard to get anything out of the front of the bed without climbing over the side while hitched up. Another thought is we are buying a 5th wheel and getting to the hitch will be problem. Any suggestions on steps or short running boards that I can install in front of rear tires? Thanks!
I didn't want to install something permanent, so I bought a unit off Ebay that unfolds and hangs over the rear tire on my dually. Advantage is that I can take it to either side, disadvantage is storing which I do currently under the rear seat. Ran $40. Just a thought.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:31 AM   #3
paz

HERE is what I use. It's light weight, it folds flat, and the top step is higher than running boards would be.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledon View Post
I didn't want to install something permanent, so I bought a unit off Ebay that unfolds and hangs over the rear tire on my dually. Advantage is that I can take it to either side, disadvantage is storing which I do currently under the rear seat. Ran $40. Just a thought.
X2 we use the same over tire step
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

I carry a step stool in the bed of my truck, enables access to bed and aids in hitching.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #6

My truck has one of these on either side, they swivel back when not in use. Not cheap, but very handy to step up and reach into the bed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RNY6OG...=2KULX69DLYIAI
kgburns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #7

Ditch your conventional hitch and get an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection. No climbing required to hitch up or disconnect, quiet - no clanging and banging on launch or stopping, 24K lb. tow rating, 4,500 lb. pin weight. You can install it in or remove it from your truck by yourself in a few minutes. I've towed 3 different 5ers with 2 different trucks about 20K miles with the Andersen and can't imagine going back to a conventional hitch.

Happy trails,
Old 09-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #8

The problem with the fifth wheel hitch is that it will be pretty much centered over the axle which is the widest part of your extended fenders. Running boards or bed steps may still not allow you to reach the hitch.

My hitch has an extension handle and release bar so it can be hooked up and released without climbing over the side. However I install a security padlock on it and I have to access the hitch. I use an aluminum folding step stool from Harbor Freight that gives me 13" of height and it works well for me. It sits in the bed while towing high enough that I can reach it. My truck is old and doesn't sit near as high as your rig. I find the stool is very convenient for other things and is worth hauling around.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #9

I installed these running boards from Willmore Mfg. They weren't cheap, but makes access to the bed easier. Install was quick with no drilling at around 30 min and that included removing the factory steps. Just another option.

Trent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170303_085931.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	175884  
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #10

I use a light aluminum household 3 step ladder app 4 ft works great throw in back of truck or in front storage
Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #11

I purchased this handy aluminum step at Harbor Freight. (*On Sale) https://www.harborfreight.com/step-s...orm-62515.html
Fits the hitching jobs perfect, great for many other tasks also. Washing truck, trailer, windshields, under-hood checks etc.
Best of luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #12

I prefer a 2ft step stool. running boards are to close to the truck to get anything of weight out of the back of truck.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed a set of aluminum running boards from Owens. These are their Classic Series Running Board. They make it a LOT easier to reach into the bed to get to the B&W hitch. As a side benefit, they also keep the sides of the bed much cleaner by blocking most of the road spray.

I also installed 3/4 inch LED markers, because I like to be seen by people who might otherwise pull out in front of me. I like they way they complete the running boards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram Now.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	176893  
Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps