Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #15

You know whats interesting, is peoples take on high rpms. Our 2015 Camry 4cy will rev out to 3000 when going up some hills. I don't even notice it unless I look at the tach since it's really quiet and smooth.
My 18 Ram 6.4 is not nearly as quiet and even at 2000-2500 it's noticeable. Hitting 3000 rpms I know whats going on.
I wonder if trucks were as smooth and quiet as small sedans, engine noise wise that truck owners would still get as wound up (sorry bad pun) about the higher rpms?
If you don't hear that roar then it would be nearly as concerning.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
First I Love the power of a diesel,, BUT I just had my first problem with the DEF system with 22K miles. This is NOT a bash on the brand I own, our big work trucks have DEF problems all the time. (I drive 100K miles plus a year) What I'm asking is has anyone with a diesel pickup (3/4 ton) gone to a gas motor (recent as in 16 or newer) and been very dissapointed ? I know the numbers, but our 5th wheel is a bit less than 10K... I LOVE my truck,,, but ,,, DEF problems will not go away soon. AGAIN this is not OOOO I've never had any problems... I'd like to know how your modern day gas engines perform with 10K lbs... Thanks,,, Monkey

Wow, one problem with DEF at 22k miles and you are wanting to throw in the towel? If you drive a gas motor 100k/year, it could be worn out in 2 years vs diesel 5 years. If you are serious about the change, try renting or getting a gas truck through a dealer loan for a week and put it through your test.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The only issue I have had with my CTD is the DEF system froze up at -35C. Not surprising since DEF freezes at -11. Looking at some solutions for heating the DEF tank. Poor design for our climate.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #18

My complaint with DEF is people leaving the containers laying around [emoji848]
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Wow, one problem with DEF at 22k miles and you are wanting to throw in the towel? If you drive a gas motor 100k/year, it could be worn out in 2 years vs diesel 5 years. If you are serious about the change, try renting or getting a gas truck through a dealer loan for a week and put it through your test.
Depends on how often one uses it. If a gasser 3/4 ton is wore out in two years, I am not sure what brand you are referring to. The Chevy 6.0 gasser in the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups has a track record of gong 300,000 miles reliably. Many, many fleets take their gasser GM HD trucks that far.

And even then, like was referenced once before, a 6.0L L96 crate engine can be had for a couple thousand dollars and dropped in. And that motor will last 300,000 miles.

If the vehicle itself holds up, diesel or gas, for 500,000 miles, even with another motor put in the gasser truck, the overall cost would still be substantially less than the diesel equivalent.

May sound like I am down on diesel. I am not. I buy 21,000 gallons of diesel fuel a year for my commercial needs. My point is that diesel is not always the best solution for everyone. One needs to seriously evaluate what they are trying to accomplish and they might be able to do what they want quite well, and save a bunch of cash, by going with a gasser. I use diesel motors where it is best to use them and don't where I can effectively use a gas motor with good results.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #20

I have been weighing pros & cons of what our next rig we’ll be . We currently fulltime in a 36 ft gas motorhome that suits us well except the roof was destroyed by hail last summer , at some point , we’ll need to replace . I’ve been considering a truck & fw or TT , personally , I feel we’d be better off with a gas powered truck than diesel
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Wow, one problem with DEF at 22k miles and you are wanting to throw in the towel?
The OP didn't even state what the problem was.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
The OP didn't even state what the problem was.

I'm sorry... It was the DEF tank heater... built into the tank... A known problem for GM trucks, but usually 35-50K miles. First yes I drive very short trips to work and back. Not good. But this has nothing to do with my "first" problem.(it regens just fine) I mentioned I drive 100K + a year but that is in a Class 8 Work truck, not my pickup."we" have problems with DEF systems all the time,,, (largest LTL company) The reason I asked was I LOVE the power of the diesel, BUT we only pull our 10K 5vr a few times a year. I am looking at retirement, and I don't want a 2-4K$ bill as soon as it gets out of warranty... I Totally Love this truck... Guess I have some soul searching to do....Thanks for All of your opinions... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #23

Quote:
I'm sorry... It was the DEF tank heater... built into the tank... A known problem for GM trucks, but usually 35-50K miles. First yes I drive very short trips to work and back. Not good. But this has nothing to do with my "first" problem.(it regens just fine) I mentioned I drive 100K + a year but that is in a Class 8 Work truck, not my pickup."we" have problems with DEF systems all the time,,, (largest LTL company) The reason I asked was I LOVE the power of the diesel, BUT we only pull our 10K 5vr a few times a year. I am looking at retirement, and I don't want a 2-4K$ bill as soon as it gets out of warranty... I Totally Love this truck... Guess I have some soul searching to do....Thanks for All of your opinions... Monkey
Delete it. Easy.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:27 AM   #24

Quote:
NOTE... There is a SILENT RECALL ON DURAMAX DEF HEATERS!!! I had one go bad on my 2013 Duramax 3500hd. Took it in a Sure Enough IT WAS COVERED 100%...No Charge and No Problems since...been 2 years now. Check it out!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #25

Back in the mid '70s I decided that hauling the weight I hauled, running about 1000 to 1500 miles a week, for about 8 months a year switching to what at the time was old diesel trucks was the way to go. At that time, I could run a GMC for 3 years, and for the revenue of one week buy a complete engine, carb, air compressor, starter oil pan. A weekend to change, back to work. Over the years, running more miles, changes in price of fuel, longer engine life, and of course power, I have never doubted I made the right decision. But, if instead of changing to something with the proven durability track record of a 8V71, or a NTC Cumins, I would of had to go to a 10 year old emission compliant diesel, not sure I would of made the switch. I have never been sure that pulling a camper one weekend a month, and 2 weeks a summer, the cost comparison gas/diesel ever made sense. But many have said the return when you sell your truck will even things out. But with the high cost of repairing the emission problems, and the frequency of the repairs, the second buyers might bid up the price of gas trucks.
From the time they started putting diesels in pickups, and talking about the long life of the engines I have wondered about the logic of that. Most pickups/light trucks that are junked, are not junked because the engine is wore out, other parts of the truck are causing too much expense/downtime. IMHO Ford and Dodge missed a good bet not when their first good diesels where about 3 years old not selling new trucks without engines.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
NOTE... There is a SILENT RECALL ON DURAMAX DEF HEATERS!!! I had one go bad on my 2013 Duramax 3500hd. Took it in a Sure Enough IT WAS COVERED 100%...No Charge and No Problems since...been 2 years now. Check it out!!!

Thanks Wunder. Yes it was covered under warranty, and I had a 2019 Silverado to drive while they fixed it.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks Wunder. Yes it was covered under warranty, and I had a 2019 Silverado to drive while they fixed it.
My Christmas present to you Mr. Monkey......glad it worked out for you!!!

We'll have a beer if we cross paths!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wundertaker View Post
my christmas present to you mr. Monkey......glad it worked out for you!!!

We'll have a beer if we cross paths!!!

deal !!!!!!

Tags
gas