Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 03:32 AM   #1

Duramax vs Cummins - YouTube Eddie's Life

The father bought a 2020 Denali GMC and the son (Eddie) bought a 2019 or 2020 Ram Limited.

Both trucks are SRW. Both trucks pulled the 12,000lb toy hauler travel trailer on the highway at 70mph up and down the 6% or 7% mountian in California.

In a nut shell the GMC was quieter with a good exhaust brake and was more refined. The Ram was a bit slower to build power with an great exhaust brake. The son said the 10 speed in the GMC shifted too much the father said no it doesn't. The GMC did not shift so the Dad was right. The Ram was lifted a few inches with 37" tires. But that is what they have to test.

https://youtu.be/Q7sJDVAmG3A

https://youtu.be/0hrwDAAZ5p8
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #2

I never have been able to understand peoples' penchants for degrading their trucks' performance by installing oversized tires. I guess the look is more important. Didn't watch the videos all the way but am guessing the Ram had an aftermarket exhaust therefore the noise. A stock truck most likely would have performed better.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #3

I think it is a kid thing. That by 30 years old you get all that foolishness out of your system. I did watch a video of a Jeep with various sized tires. The bigger the tire the bigger the rock it can climb. So extreme off-roading big tires help. Towing they do not help.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think it is a kid thing.
Too true. Our son absolutely HAD to have a pipe for his YZ450 dirt bike. Dad I'll be WAY faster with it, listen to the extra power it has over stock. That was until I found an article in one of his Dirt Bike magazines where they tested the latest bikes, stock and with an after market pipe, with their professional test riders. Guys who know how to ride. To a man, all the test riders felt they were fastest with the loud pipe. But in reality, they ALL had their fastest lap times on the stock bikes. There was a time when you could "help" a motor with a few simple mods like freer breathing intake paired with a freer flowing exhaust, along with the required rejetting or remapping. But those days have been pretty much over for years. The manufacturers are pretty good at making the "best" power for us mere mortals.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #5

You make a comparison with lifted and 37 ď tires with noisy exhaust . Then say the other truck is quieter along with noisy truck being slower . No kidding ! . If they are not the same stock set up the comparison is worthless . Itís worthless any way because people buy what they like and when towing the fastest up the hill really doesnít mean much as someone invariably pulls out in front of you and thatís that ! Being first to the bottom is a trophy no one towing in mountains wants .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #6

Big tires kill performance. Learned that dirt track racing
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I never have been able to understand peoples' penchants for degrading their trucks' performance by installing oversized tires.
I've always just assumed it's because they have small weiners and are trying to compensate but I suppose it could just be that they like to buy gas.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I've always just assumed it's because they have small weiners and are trying to compensate but I suppose it could just be that they like to buy gas.
Mall crawlers yes. Ever been mudding? Its a good time and a bigger tire gets you further.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins