Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think Ford is doing the right thing (in the EcoBoost case) of voiding warranties when we have aftermarket companies playing with timing and perhaps boost. This is a new breed of motor and the tuning, which is going to be somewhat conservative, is what's keeping these motors under tough towing conditions.

I've asked a few people about them also. So far nothing negative and most people like 20+ mpg when you get the thing uncoupled.

For those of you towing, how often are you having to go up a grade of gasoline?
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #16

Sounds like a diesel is the way to go. Or at least a 3/4 ton or more. The last thing I'd want is to be pushed down the hill screaming in 2nd gear. If for no other reason I'd want the bigger/heavier set of brakes.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #17

Oil or Gas

Get power or not Oil all the way not a Power Joker or Stroker!! But look at a Cummins more a worker than a poker!! I have had them both and know the end numbers are in Cummins all the way for the long hall...Just My way of thinking You make the end pick You are paying the bill...all are great just some are better..Bushman good day
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512003 View Post
Get power or not Oil all the way not a Power Joker or Stroker!! But look at a Cummins more a worker than a poker!! I have had them both and know the end numbers are in Cummins all the way for the long hall...Just My way of thinking You make the end pick You are paying the bill...all are great just some are better..Bushman good day
Not being the brightest light bulb on the block. What did you say? Bring it down to my simple level and clarify. Thanks
lincoln30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln30 View Post
Don't know yet just starting to look. Right now lookinh at Eveergreen everlite 29RB or 30 KIS

From memory one is around 5,000lb the other around 6500lb dry.
Ecoboost vs diesel ??
Apples vs oranges.
I assume your talikng new trucks.

The Ecoboost is a Ford and is availabe in a F150HD 8200 GVWR with 4800 lb RAWR Etires ans wheels and has approx 3000 lb payload with a 11200 lb tow rating, all depending on the cab selection.

The Ford 6.7 diesel comes in a F250/F350 SRW/F350 DRW trucks up to 13000 lb GVWR with up to 9000 lb RAWR and payload in the 5k-6k range and over 22000 lb tow rating, all depending on which truck size and configuration you choose.

A 6500 lb dry weight trailer may weigh 7500-8500 lbs after loading. The Ecoboost F150 HD 8200 GVWR package will easilly handle that size trailer.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
What are the base prices of each? Given a choice I think everyone would be buying diesels, but if diesel trucks generally start mid 40s to 50s...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Not being the brightest light bulb on the block. What did you say? Bring it down to my simple level and clarify. Thanks
Sounds like he is knocking one brand and suggesting a Cummins engined vehicle.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #22

I went from an F350 diesel towing a 9900 lb GVW (7yrs and several cross continent trips) to an F150 Ecoboost towing a 6900 lb GVW unit. The new combo has gone across the continent both ways and a few runs from Ontario to S Carolina and back. The eco is actually nicer for towing power-wise with huge available torque at very low RPMs and power to spare on long mountain climbs. There are a few downsides however. Fuel economy while towing averages 10.5 mpg gas as opposed to 12 to 14 with the diesel. Empty I am getting 16 to 21 depending on driving and wind...a bit better than the diesel. Braking on both was not a problem but the integrated controller on the 150 is superb! I have max payload on the 150 however it is a much softer sprung truck and a load on it squats it down pretty well....not a true workhorse like the 350 was. Being softly sprung, shorter and lighter makes it easy and comfortable to drive around town but less stable feeling on the hwy...Trade offs no matter which way you go . If I were looking at more than 8000 GVW I would probably go with a super duty or equivalent....just one guy's opinion.
BTW despite driving Ford products for the last 12 yrs I have no real loyalty or preference for them ....( I do insist on buying made in Canada/US however because I refuse to get into a race to the bottom buying cheap labour made items). The dealership has been outstanding and they have earned my loyalty.
Groveite
Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Having driven direct injected turbo Audi's for a while... (current one is momma's daily driver)
one thing to consider on ford's 'new' technology is that the older Audi's with direct injection and turbos are having issues with carbon build up...

since it direct injects there is nothing to 'wash' away the deposits and more than a few 2009 audi 3.2 owners are having to foot the bill for a very expensive tear down and carbon cleanout when their engines start stumbling...

I've not had to do that as I tend to trade cars quickly... but just something to consider on a 'new' engine ...

And as an aside - our stock 6.7 has been super the first 11k miles towing or not !
this is my fourth ford diesel and the best of the bunch...
but it is a higher buy-in and maintenance is higher...

so as asked, what are your intentions ?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #24

I'm happy I found this thread, I own a F350 diesel and was looking at
the F150 ecoboost, but after reading the comments I think if I trade
mine in for something else it would be a F250 shortbed or dodge or
GMC of similar size.

I know my truck is a bit of overkill for my 29 ft 7700 lb TT, but I like
the lack of trailer sway, engine braking in tow mode and decent
milage towing. And it is paid for.
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #25

Quote:
which one?

That depends on what you want to do with the truck. Do you want to use it as a grocery getter taking small local drives with the truck? Use it a as a REDNCK Cadillac all dress up in chrome and do not haul anything with it? Then I would get a gas pickup truck.
Now if you want to tow and use the truck to haul heavy items in it and travel long distances then I would get a diesel engine pick-up truck. Still can look good but you do not need to Chrome it up. Like us old hotter rodders use to say if it won’t go CHROME IT.
The diesel engine will have a different power band than a gas engine truck developing the RPM’s lower in the power band. The diesel engine is much more efficient in moving heavier loads than a gas engine truck when burning the same amount of fuel to move an equal load. Most Diesel engines will last between 250,000 and 500,000 miles with some making a million miles in longevity, a gas engine in heavy use will last maybe 125,000 miles before it is worn out.
Jim W.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #26

Last weekend we took a day trip to Yellowstone NP and the Old Faithful Inn for lunch. 425 miles RT, about 230 highway miles at 65-67 mph, the remainder was around Y’stone sightseeing (ie-start and stop and waiting for the sightseeing traffic). Didn’t see many animals, just a Crane in the Firehole River, one Bison and two Cow Elk with this years Calf in the Madison River west of Madison Junction. I need to be reminded why we normally don’t go to the “Parks” (Y’stone and Grand Teton NPs) after Memoral day and before Labor day.
Got a calculated solo 19.2 mpg diesel, not bad for a 7500# truck. Like many others have said if you are going to haul s fairly good sized RV get the Diesel!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
What are the base prices of each? Given a choice I think everyone would be buying diesels, but if diesel trucks generally start mid 40s to 50s...
My F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x2 with 6.5' bed, EcoBoost engine, and a few options:
34,282 Base invoice:
743 EcoBoost
349 E-Locker
+ other options & freight
39,923 total invoice

F-250 Lariat CrewCab 4x2 with 6.5' bed, diesel, and a few options:
39,208 base invoice
6,607 diesel
324 E-Locker
+ other options same as the F-150 above & freight
48,657 total invoice.

Invoice cost is very close to the best negotiated price you can get, minus factory incentives such as rebates and lower interest financing, and plus TT&L.

So a diesel F-250 will cost you about $8735 (22%) more than the EcoBoost F-150 with very similar options, assuming rebates are the same.

Back off to the 6.2 gasser in the F-250 and extra cost of the F-250 is only around $2,128 more than the EcoBoost F-150.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel