Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #1

Ecoboost vs diesel

which one?
lincoln30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #2

Yes.....
Depends on what you are towing, what you want when you are not towing.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Depends.. what are looking to get out of it? Ecoboost is simply Direct Injection, Turbo'd...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
not over a diesel.
Ford is not allowing the eco boost platforms to be be tuned or modified under warranty.
Yet they have an hour long video of Mike Rowe abusing the platform and its transplanted in a Baha race truck.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #5

Don't know yet just starting to look. Right now lookinh at Eveergreen everlite 29RB or 30 KIS

From memory one is around 5,000lb the other around 6500lb dry.
lincoln30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #6

A guy I ATV with says he pulls a 7k trailer with the eco boost 150 and is happy with it.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Once up to a 6000# trailer, I'd go with a diesel. Also, forget the dry weight....no options, no acessories, no cargo, no propane, no water. Look at the GVWR of the trailer for an idea of what the trailer could weigh when loaded.

Remember that trailer are like people as they get older, they tend to weigh more.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I would personally go diesel if towing more than 5-6000 lbs for any distance. Direct injection is cool, fried turbos are not..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
not over a diesel.
Ford is not allowing the eco boost platforms to be be tuned or modified under warranty.
Yet they have an hour long video of Mike Rowe abusing the platform and its transplanted in a Baha race truck.
I believe that was a durability test where they took one and ran it through a lot of abuse to show how it would do. It was supposed to be an unmodified off the assembly line. I'm not sure what your point is regarding tuning and modifications. It's not relevant to the video.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have to pick the Diesel for a long lived tow vehicle...but it's kind of like comparing oranges and tangerines.

The EcoBoost is only available in the F150.
The Diesel is only available in the SuperDuty (F250/350)

My daughter/son-in-law have a new F150 Eco-Boost and are getting 19-20 MPG (and being in their early 20's don't really know how to drive for high MPG - so THAT'S GREAT). And, it has very high numbers for towing and cargo capacity...but I wonder how long the engine will last(?)

It's just a machine and you don't get anything for nothing. The Sequential-Turbo/Direct Injection thing is cool, but it's still a light weight gas engine in a light duty truck.

I'm sure that a Diesel in a SuperDuty will be more capable and last many-many more miles.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #11

Be sure to check the payload capability in the F150 EcoBoost. It's pretty limited as I remember. We tow a 7400# Airstream. I did the search about 6 months ago and went with the 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab with the DuraMAx diesel and Allison transmission. Good combination of towing capability and payload. We average 12.9 mpg towing and about 19 when not towing.

Meanwhile, our son in law just purchased a Ford F250 Super Duty with the Powerstroke diesel.

Each of us feels that we made the right choice.
Rivets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
I believe that was a durability test where they took one and ran it through a lot of abuse to show how it would do. It was supposed to be an unmodified off the assembly line. I'm not sure what your point is regarding tuning and modifications. It's not relevant to the video.
my point is... ford is using any and every excuse to void the factory warranty on the ecoboost platform.
For those willing to forgo coverage from ford... you can get diesel torque numbers from them. North of 500 ft-lbs
Old 08-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
My daughter/son-in-law have a new F150 Eco-Boost and are getting 19-20 MPG (and being in their early 20's don't really know how to drive for high MPG - so THAT'S GREAT). And, it has very high numbers for towing and cargo capacity...but I wonder how long the engine will last(?)
have a few thousand miles behind the wheel of an ecoboost 150. 20mpg would be a dream. Actual is closer to 12-16 tops. Worse than my 5.4 powered truck that gets close to 20 on the highway.

Both trucks have 26 gallon tanks. I can go 450+ miles in the 5.4 truck on the highway with a full tank of fuel. Ecoboost will only go 350. This is at 70mph. Im sure I can lift my foot off the floor and go 45mph in the ecoboost to get fords claimed 24mpg
Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #14

I have an ecoboost with the max tow package with 18000 miles. Have towed about 2500 miles so far. Trailer is about 7200 pounds dry weight and the last trip across the scale came in at 8400 pounds. No issues so far. Get right at 20 MPG at 70 MPH not towing and just over 10 MPG towing at 60MPH. Haven't found a grade yet that will drop me below 50 MPH but coming down the other side is another story. Some engine braking would really be nice. Topping a grade I have learned to reset my cruise to about 45 and let the transmision do the rest, have seen it shift all the way down to second to hold the trailer back. I have the 2011 model so the max GVW and the 36 gallon fuel tank wasn't available then and would sure be nice to have. My tongue weight runs from 1100 to 1300 pounds which puts me at about 300 pounds from my max GVW with what we carry in the truck. After towing with it a while I believe that you would be good up to about 9500 pounds but the max GVW would be a must for the tongue weight.

Tags
diesel