Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2022, 07:48 AM   #1

EGT temp?

Hello all. I have a 2015 ram2500 with the 6.7 and g56. Iíve started towing a goosenenck trailer around 15-17k lbs. something Iíve never had to really think about or watch (my first diesel) is the EGT. Someone warned me to watch my EGTs, only problem- I have no gauge. My truck is all stock. My question is do I need to worry about EGT in a stock truck? if so, what can I do to keep them low?
cdc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #2

I believe a 2015 Ram would have sufficient monitoring and systems to manage your EGT such as de-fueling. On my older Cummins, I had to drill the manifold and install a pyrometer. The Edge Insight CTS3 gauge can access EGT through the OBD port on current 6.7 engines and is an easy install. A call to them would ensure it works on your older rig.

You can lower your EGT by downshifting and increasing RPMs. This increases engine airflow and cools the exhaust. When I take my 5.9 Cummins out of overdrive when under heavy load, my EGT will drop around 200 degrees. Caution: you will become addicted to watching the thing!
Old 05-23-2022, 10:05 AM   #3

Thanks! Iíll definitely check out the edge monitor. Reading about it, it definitely seems to be exactly what I need.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:07 AM   #4

A 2015 with a G56? That’s a rare truck.

A factory truck you probably don’t have to be too concerned about it. Mine usually gets high when I wait too long to down shift. My truck isn’t quite as sophisticated as yours, and not nearly as powerful, you probably won’t have that issue as much as I do.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:24 AM   #5

2015 RAM ........hookup and drive it

The ECM will de-fuel IF EGTs get to high for too long

Stock 6.7 regens at 1480*F
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceKeys View Post
A 2015 with a G56? Thatís a rare truck.

A factory truck you probably donít have to be too concerned about it. Mine usually gets high when I wait too long to down shift. My truck isnít quite as sophisticated as yours, and not nearly as powerful, you probably wonít have that issue as much as I do.

Yep, itís a rare bird. Iíve owned it 2 years this past April. Fell in love with the truck when I saw that manual transmission. 78k miles on it.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc76 View Post
Hello all. I have a 2015 ram2500 with the 6.7 and g56. Iíve started towing a goosenenck trailer around 15-17k lbs. something Iíve never had to really think about or watch (my first diesel) is the EGT. Someone warned me to watch my EGTs, only problem- I have no gauge. My truck is all stock. My question is do I need to worry about EGT in a stock truck? if so, what can I do to keep them low?
I ran my truck a 2008, 2500 Mega Cab, 6.7L Cummins with the 6spd auto for a year with just gauges towing a 2010 318SAB Cougar. I never saw any EGT above 1450F when regeneration was taking place. My normal temps where between 900F and 1100F when towing. About every 250 to 300 miles the truck would regenerate the DPF on my truck. But since you have the newer emission system the regeneration period should be longer when towing.

No need to let the truck idle below 450F before shutting off. Why, the truck will idle all day above 450F due to the emission equipment on the truck. Just follow the owner's manual for towing. I have found by the time I pull in to a rest area the engine/turbo has already cooled down so, you can shut the truck off with no issues. Such as over heating your turbo.

These newer designed engines are not your grandpa older diesel engines.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
2015 RAM ........hookup and drive it

The ECM will de-fuel IF EGTs get to high for too long

Stock 6.7 regens at 1480*F
Is that 1,480 degrees at the manifold pre turbo or at the DPF? I've read conflicting reports on safe exhaust gas temperatures. I'll sometimes bump mine to 1,220 for brief duration, and have found myself pulling long grades at 1,100 degrees. The engine has the desire to pull harder, but I slow the rig down. My 5.9 had no sensors on the exhaust system before I installed the pyrometer.

Your thoughts on safe operating temps are appreciated.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:08 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Is that 1,480 degrees at the manifold pre turbo or at the DPF? I've read conflicting reports on safe exhaust gas temperatures. I'll sometimes bump mine to 1,220 for brief duration, and have found myself pulling long grades at 1,100 degrees. The engine has the desire to pull harder, but I slow the rig down. My 5.9 had no sensors on the exhaust system before I installed the pyrometer.

I've always gone by 1250 max sustained temps with bursts of 1320 - 1400 for a few seconds max. 5 CTD's including three 5.9's I still own though I only bother monitoring the temps on the one I modified (Smarty Jr. and exh.)

On a bone stock truck, it shouldn't be able to hurt itself.

Dave
Old 05-28-2022, 12:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I've always gone by 1250 max sustained temps with bursts of 1320 - 1400 for a few seconds max. 5 CTD's including three 5.9's I still own though I only bother monitoring the temps on the one I modified (Smarty Jr. and exh.)

Dave
The 6.7L Cummins is built to handle higher engine operating temps for emission compliance equipment to operate correctly.

My truck when stock would operate between 1250F and 1450F for 20 to 25 mins at a time when regeneration of the DPF was taking place. There is a separate fuel injection that is taking place in the exhaust system for DPF so, as to burn off soot. This is why the EGT's read higher in the exhaust manifold when the truck is in the regeneration cycle.

That is why I said the 6.7L Cummins is not like your older 5.9L engines. Anything that an operated/owner has been taught about operating a diesel engine truck in the past has gone out the window with the new emission compliance trucks. These trucks operate at a higher temps and fuel totally different with multiply injections per cycle.
Old 05-28-2022, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post

Dave
The 1480*F is in reference to the Cummins 6.7L engine

You have a 5.9L and the temps Dave posted are what applies
1250*F max EGT (engine gas temp) pre-turbo
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:38 AM   #13

I sometimes get filters (all) from a local Cummins dealer.
One of their mechanics was at the parts desk next to me. The parts department had a new turbo for him for a 2019 3500 drw Ram 6.7 engine that belonged to a LTL driver/operator. The OEM turbo had cooked the bearings from heat soak caused by the owner not following proper shut down temps.
The tech also said they see this as the biggest problems with any turbo in this type of service.
Most rv'ers diesel trucks don't see this type of service 24/7 365 days a year.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
The 6.7L Cummins is built to handle higher engine operating temps for emission compliance equipment to operate correctly.

My truck when stock would operate between 1250F and 1450F for 20 to 25 mins at a time when regeneration of the DPF was taking place. There is a separate fuel injection that is taking place in the exhaust system for DPF so, as to burn off soot. This is why the EGT's read higher in the exhaust manifold when the truck is in the regeneration cycle.

That is why I said the 6.7L Cummins is not like your older 5.9L engines. Anything that an operated/owner has been taught about operating a diesel engine truck in the past has gone out the window with the new emission compliance trucks. These trucks operate at a higher temps and fuel totally different with multiply injections per cycle.
Thanks; I have a 6.7 Cummins as well but I had thought someone asked anout the 5.9. Apologies

��
Dave Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote