Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #1

Electric Brake Controllers (Ford Super Duty): Factory Installed vs Aftermarket

Does anyone have any insights on which may be better. I am getting ready to purchase a Ford Super Duty and I am undecided on whether or not to get the factory installed electronic brake controller or just adding an aftermarket unit later.

Has anyone found better performance with one over the other?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #2

Yes. Get the factory one. I've had both (Prodigy) and the factory was so better. The Prodigy was great, but didn't compare to the factory controller.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
So many questions inside your question. What are the features of the Ford installed brake controller? What is the added on option cost? Is the wiring present in the chassis even if you don't order the brake controller? Are there features in the controller you'd prefer to have in an aftermarket one?

In many chassis, the wiring is part of the wiring loom. Adding a controller isn't that hard for someone that can read the instructions and has a few basic tools. Look at the controllers available and compare the cost to the factory option. If you have the facts, you may use them as a negotiating point in the purchase of the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Has anyone found better performance with one over the other?
The Ford OEM integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) is the best available. It's integrated with the braking system of the truck, so all the features of the truck's braking system, such as antilock and skid control, work with the trailer brakes. Aftermarket brake controllers ae not integrated, so they don't work as well.

The ITBC has MSRP of $275, so it's going to cost you about $220 if it's factory installed on a new Ford. All decent aftermarket brake controllers cost more than that, so the ITBC is a bargain as well as being the best available.

Another bargain when factory installed on a new SuperDuty is the fifth-wheel/gooseneck prep pkg. It will cost you about a third as much as having it installed by a hitch shop on a new truck. So if you plan to buy a 5er or gooseneck hitch, be sure to order the prep pkg on your new SuperDuty.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
SmokeyWren, you answered all my questions, hope it did the same for the OP.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #6

A factory brake controller is now on my build list. I have no immediate plans for a 5th wheel or gooseneck, but I will add the prep as well. My current F350 is 21 years old, so this one should be my last. I want it to be ready for anything. Thanks to everyone for the insights.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The ITBC has MSRP of $275, so it's going to cost you about $220 if it's factory installed on a new Ford. All decent aftermarket brake controllers cost more than that, so the ITBC is a bargain as well as being the best available.
My Prodigy P3 was $127 from eTrailer, and when I researched it, everything I could find seemed to say it was one of, if not the best aftermarket controller available. What did I miss? Is there something better than the P3?
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE View Post
My Prodigy P3 was $127 from eTrailer, and when I researched it, everything I could find seemed to say it was one of, if not the best aftermarket controller available. What did I miss? Is there something better than the P3?
If you have a 2005-up Superduty, then the factory integrated brake controller is what you want to use. Not available on previous years.

For those of us with older trucks, the P-3 is about as good as it gets. I love mine in my 2000 F-350 SRW.

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
The factory integrated controller can't give antilock and skid control to the trailer's brakes unless sensors to detect wheel spin would be installed on the trailer axles. Still, I'm sure it's better or at least as good as any aftermarket controller and would fall under the truck warranty and be wired properly.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #10

Love my factory controller on 15' 250
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The factory integrated controller can't give antilock and skid control to the trailer's brakes unless sensors to detect wheel spin would be installed on the trailer axles. Still, I'm sure it's better or at least as good as any aftermarket controller and would fall under the truck warranty and be wired properly.
Basically if the truck wheels are skidding, it assumes the trailer's are as well and reduces trailer braking.

I've had a Prodigy P3 on a previous truck, and now two ITBC's on two F-350's. The ITBCs are amazing, no jolting, no delay, its seamless.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Basically if the truck wheels are skidding, it assumes the trailer's are as well and reduces trailer braking.
There are so many variables in what causes a wheel to skid or lock up. The surface area of the tire, loading, diameter, etc. Does the controller go to a pulse mode like anti-lock brakes do?

Bob & Donna
Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
A factory brake controller is now on my build list. I have no immediate plans for a 5th wheel or gooseneck, but I will add the prep as well. My current F350 is 21 years old, so this one should be my last. I want it to be ready for anything. Thanks to everyone for the insights.
If you want it to be ready for anything then you might look at the BIS. Blind Spot Information System. Pretty slick setup with the dohickies that go on the trailer and extend your blind spot warning system. Like you I am on my last (hopefully) truck so I made sure it had all the options I wanted. Didn't know about this system until I saw it on youtube. The new camera system and extended TPMS was on my list. A little spendy but I got them anyway.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
There are so many variables in what causes a wheel to skid or lock up. The surface area of the tire, loading, diameter, etc. Does the controller go to a pulse mode like anti-lock brakes do?
A quick write up I think had what your looking for. My manual says similar things, but is...in my glove compartment. I have not tested this (fortunately).

2017 Ford Towing Guide
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, electric, ford, install, led