Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #43

Getting totally off-subject guys...

we are pretty far off from my original post of emissions crackdown. Evs are a totally different subject. Even though I'd love to chime in comments on some models mentioned I'll wait until it's in its own thread.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
we are pretty far off from my original post of emissions crackdown. Evs are a totally different subject. Even though I'd love to chime in comments on some models mentioned I'll wait until it's in its own thread.
Point taken. I love how conversations wonder.

Cheers.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
IF, I would have did more research on new diesel emissions, as mine is a 2015. I trully would have gone gas and sucked up the poor fuel miledge.
I deleted because, the following. I custom ordered my dodge ram 6.7 Cummins, 3 months after delivery, had SCR, recall, had 2 emissions sensors go before 36,000, warranty. Deleted at 35,000. No more problems except rear U joints at 90,000, and turbo actuator started throwing codes at 101,000. Did away with that style turbo at 102,000.
Why isn't it brought up how regens work, and ya cant tell me, they,,, dont pollute! ( dumping raw fuel into the exhaust to burn out the plugging DPF, then shooting it out the tail pipe, anyway...
(First generation) anti pollution, diesels, I had before I retired, Lineman, bucket truck goes into regen, if it has a down exhaust, burns the pavement, stacks, burn the building your parked next to.
It's ok, some of you don't care that at the wrong time, I'm stuck in the bucket till regen is done, cause it idles up and PTO shuts off, if working alone, hard to push the not now button in the cab wile aloft. ( Be great to take the EPA and put them in the bucket till regen.
Please, some,, get back to us when your towing your 5ver, and get the 50 miles to limp home mode, and your in the middle of nowhere.
Maybe call the EPA, and ask for a free tow.

Its funny,,, I and others on the dark side aren't preaching,,, but get pounded by those that preach.

To some, it's like talking to my brother inlaw, ,, that's nice,,, not really,, nice day isn't it,,,could be better.

One cant tell me, that having a daily campfire is better than my deleted truck, I dont use daily.

I mean no harm and am fully retired,,, just have opinion and wants and needs,, till ( they take it away. )

It still hasn't, been answered.
Who pollutes more? Me and my deleted 2500, or a stock big bus pulling a 3 axle car hauler.

Before jumping on pollution, smaller footprint,, less pollution.

All have nice day. Both sides.
I did go from diesel to gas. Hated the hassles with my 2012 CTD. Went to a 6.4 2500. After 2.5 years and towing 9200-9500 lbs all over the west, I found I hated towing with gas more than the emission hassles.
MPG's sucked and yeah thats easy to live with except when you're out in the sticks a long ways from a gas station. I found I needed to get gas when I didn't need it just so I didn't have to worry abut it when I did need it.
PITA
So I went back to diesel in the form of a 2019 3500.
I'm going to take my chances again. @67 it's my last truck and when we quit RV'ing I'll sell it and get something smaller.

YMMV
Old 11-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #46

I have to do the same with my work truck 6.4, stop alot just to be sure i make it to the next town.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #47

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
No one is pounding you. I am explaining what's going on with the EPA in the USA and explainging some of the intricacies of antipollution devices.

I can definitely understand the frustration of regens on certain limited-use "tool/vehicles". Being stuck in a bucket for 20 minutes in the rain or freezing coldwould be no picnic. Some of these vehicles need a different level of devices for the use they see. Bucket trucks and garbage trucks come to mind.

A 2500 series diesel often has roughly the same size engine as many motorhomes, so I don't see the false comparison there.

If a certain brand or type of vehicle has such unreliable emissions systems maybe one should purchase a different brand that is more reliable? That would put the screws to the OEs to get it right if they wish to keep selling them.
Thank you, I have no ill will, just a pocket book with saving needs, and real experience. In some of the mandated emissions stuff. Thank god, when the first gen stuff came out, I worked for a company that had 2 people per truck in NH, in PA I shot trouble by myself and they did have better safety things imposed on the newer diesel trucks, and I had 2 ways of getting down by myself, one electric over ride, second, lower myself to the ground with special rope secured to the boom with a divice. Being cought in cold, heat, rain, snow, is OK, being stranded alone in bucket when arcing and sparking starts, is not cool.

This is how nuts it is on the said, my truck motor is used in rvs. Stock my 2015 2500 was 370hp, 800tq. I didn't ask for the turbo to break, but it did. I now have on setting 5 out of 5 (was told) 550hp and 1200tq.
I use it like a car so it would be plugged solid at 102,500 miles. That's the only reason I did/had to delete.
That's how crazy it is with a little removing things and a great program. im not condoning it, just needed it to save money/more reliable.

I fear for my friends that still farm with heavy, reallllllyyyy, heavy equipment, that someday will be mandated to have to have tractors and combines with emissions and break down during seeding/harvest. The cost of said things will have to be passed along to all of us so they can keep growing food for us.

When fully going green comes up, please let me know how this will work, with most wind not blowing at night, and solar not working at night, but using the tides can go 4 times a day. Coal is a bad word, fusion isn't there yet. Hydro is great, but what about the fish that need to swim up and down the river and or blocked by a dam. Nuke, one might want to look up what happens WHEN, the plant reaches its usable lifespan. It stays, and don't get torn down, just garded forever. Natural gas is clean and good. I have seen been around it all.
I wish to live a long time, but would love to help with the green, going. Help, not argue. I can only input a good linemans input.

bless all, please play nice.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #48

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
Hey traveller, it s not just bucket trucks (although not a safety issue) more of a inconvenience, a lot of farm tractors and lawn tractors go into regen at the most inappropriate time, your stuck driving around until all is “good”.

As far as the holset turbo, the actuator went on mine..Local shop here in town BD diesel very highly reputable shop known across North America. Told me the only thing they do to make them more reliable is open up the variable gate bushings ( ex brake actuator rods) holset made the tolerances to tight and they coak up and seize causing the actuator motor to burn out. Replaced mine with a factory replacement they offer same time I deleted, all good since.

How much your/my truck pollutes? No offence to the 5.9 ers out there, I betcha a lot less than them, with bigger stroke and revamp fuel control.
I could have replace the actuator, as my turbo was perfect. But went BD non vgt to eliminate the actuator and vgt part, 2 less things to break again. if needed in the future I will add a EB to it, but not needed now. This new turbo gives me really great more bettterer mpg's than the stock one did. Im a little older now, and have nothing to prove, but,,, its slower off the light, but when it lights, it lights and goes by, by.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #49

mpgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I did go from diesel to gas. Hated the hassles with my 2012 CTD. Went to a 6.4 2500. After 2.5 years and towing 9200-9500 lbs all over the west, I found I hated towing with gas more than the emission hassles.
MPG's sucked and yeah thats easy to live with except when you're out in the sticks a long ways from a gas station. I found I needed to get gas when I didn't need it just so I didn't have to worry abut it when I did need it.
PITA
So I went back to diesel in the form of a 2019 3500.
I'm going to take my chances again. @67 it's my last truck and when we quit RV'ing I'll sell it and get something smaller.

YMMV
I have a simple 2 door 4wd 2500 cummins, fully deleted, and I get as low as 7mpg with a heavy headwind towing a simple 7500lb travel trailer at 70mph. My 2 door, because of the stock needing def fluid, I have 28 gallon tank. I feel your gasser pain. in my diesel. Stock, I would have to have a fuel station follow me. Empty, I get great fuel mpgs, and tail wind yaaahhhhoooo towing.
Im hitting the calculator daily. As I can leave a camper hear in TX and a camper in MN and sell truck and buy car and go to and fro. im 5.11 and its still cool to have to hop up into the truck and hear the diesel fire up. Its the farm boy in me.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If the Federal government would step up and make the manufactures warranty the emissions systems for 200,000 miles instead of the current 50,000 miles, i guarantee they can make a system that will last well past 50,000 miles.

Too many are experiencing emission failures on diesel trucks with a bit over 50,000 miles and facing a big repair bill so that it will fail again.

Ken

I would like to see federal emissions testing for all states that don’t have emission test at all.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #51

testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by readog View Post
I would like to see federal emissions testing for all states that don’t have emission test at all.
Oh boy. I better start taking Spanish lessons now, as ill have to take my truck to Mexico if I want to keep it.

Such a statement should include all gubment diesel stuff in said,,, all,, states, including ships in the water, and very eco friendly tanks. .

2 people buying a diesel humvie. One a private person, one the gubment. Do you think the gubment will have emissions and have to use DEF fluid?

PS, I respect your opinion.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #52

A crack down on removing emissions is probably like trying to catch moonshiners. If you live where emissions are not checked you are probably ok. But if they are cracking down on your area hope you have all the parts to put back on anc software to make it all work as designed.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #53

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A crack down on removing emissions is probably like trying to catch moonshiners. If you live where emissions are not checked you are probably ok. But if they are cracking down on your area hope you have all the parts to put back on anc software to make it all work as designed.
We had Aircare for years up in BC, 1992-2014 (Lower mainland) if you wanted insurance, you had to go to a local Aircare facility and pass for the era of your vehicle, visual inspections and emission tail pipe testing. 1 tons and larger gvw were not tested, deemed commercial, more for light duty and passenger vehicles.

This definitely helped getting the oil burning, misfiring pieces of junk of the road that wouldn’t even pass a safety inspection (that’s a whole other story)

Red seal since 93, seen carburetors, feed back carburetors, TB injection, ported injection. Been through the change.
It may sound like a contradiction, I am a firm believer in low or net zero emissions, at least for my gen 1 emissions, not at the cost of vehicle maintenance/longevity, my pocket book, down time etc. Don’t have a DEF system so can’t comment on that.

I think the industry still has a long way to go, it’s definitely getting better with newer technology. But still not there, it’s difficult to produce a truck that it’s main duty is to work and work hard and have it near zero emissions... not from a internal combustion engine. That’s when they hang “stuff” in the exhaust to mask inefficiency.

I remember the old ford 300 6 cyl, the way #1 and 6 intake runners were almost a 90 deg, HC were always high, fuel was dropping out of the incoming air charge... fords fix, dual air pumps to light the converters. Then the converters would melt down. Those were old work horses a good motor, but inefficient, it’s no longer. This was on many, no bash on ford. Look at what we have 15 years later, much much better, but not there yet IMO

Sorry for the ramble, stepping off my box.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is a story around BC air care that made no sense to me back then and still doesn't. It was a bureaucratic stuff up right from the get go. Too much to go into without a nice campfire and a few adult beverages.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #55

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
There is a story around BC air care that made no sense to me back then and still doesn't. It was a bureaucratic stuff up right from the get go. Too much to go into without a nice campfire and a few adult beverages.
Yup, that fire will burn for awhile, and a “few” wobbly pops drunk.😲
Old 11-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
Yup, that fire will burn for awhile, and a “few” wobbly pops drunk.😲
No Luckies though, OK?
Closed Thread