RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #1

Emissions tampering crackdown

It would appear the feds have had enough. looks like they may start getting serious about individual deletes.

I would recommend people read the statistics on emissions from deleted diesels vs stock.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/c...UX_DlYRp-qgsWI

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #2

It’s popping up in the local paper here as well. Funny. People are actually thankful that they are noisy as hell so they know when they are coming. It’s gives them a chance to take a deep breath and hold it till the air clears when they go by. Noisy stinky things. Everybody is talking about. People want to outlaw them on downtown streets.

Electric trucks can’t come fast enough.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

Fully stock modern gas and diesel trucks are not that bad. Poorly running and deleted ones are terrible. I see and smell some driving by every single day.

as we both well know electric trucks won't satisfy all our needs.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Old 11-27-2020, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Fully stock modern gas and diesel trucks are not that bad. Poorly running and deleted ones are terrible. I see and smell some driving by every single day.

Yepir. It’s going to be a while before there is a replacement for something like our old powerstroke dually. Great truck.

But, a half ton. Meh. In a couple years there will be some serious high performance electric contenders.that will work great for many.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #5

If I am shopping for a used diesel truck, how could I verify that it isn't tuned to defeat the emission devices?
Old 11-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrpal View Post
If I am shopping for a used diesel truck, how could I verify that it isn't tuned to defeat the emission devices?
1st thing would be to plainly ask the seller, they will know 99% of the time. 2nd thing is have it inspected, either by a dealer selling the brand or a knowledgeable repair facility. Having this checked can save you anywhere from 2000$ to 10 000$+ depending on the delete level and truck.

Also, be aware that deleted software will void remaining powertrain warranty in many cases. It is getting easy for manufacturers and repair shops to tell of software is not factory level.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Old 11-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #7

Would a code Scanner (I use Blue Driver) detect something like that?
Old 11-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Would a code Scanner (I use Blue Driver) detect something like that?
possibly, but I would NOT count on it.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Old 11-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #9

I saw some idiot blowing coal just today. He thinks it is cool...NOT.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #10

I sent a message to Blue Driver. See what they say.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post

Agreed, we had a poorly running gas engine pull in front of us the other day, the stink almost put tears in my eyes.

I also see the jerks that thinks that it is cool to roll coal!
On our 2016 the inside of the tailpipe is as clean if not cleaner as the outside.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #12

Here is the response I got from Blue Driver:

Unfortunately I can't really think of a way we'd be able to, you'd probably need something that would read specific software versions or something along those lines, but I'm not really sure if there are any commercial tools out there for this purpose.

Chris Nevin, P.Eng
Technical Support Engineer
Lemur Vehicle Monitors
Old 11-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #13

Ayn Rand: "We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality".
Old 11-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #14

how to tell

Quote:
How to tell if its been deleted...... Lay on back and look under truck, if ya don't see 3 large heavy things, with tubes and wires and sensors, that WILL go bad at some point,,, its deleted. Also look under hood, if its not inputting its own bunt fuel/exaust into the intake,,, its deleted... If it gets way better fuel miledge, and has more power,,,, its deleted.
DONT, look under my hood or truck............................. I am getting in town mpg's, what I got on the highway,, before.
Stock exaust with resonator and it don't smoke at all.
I would advise the doooommm and glooomm ones to not go to the Midwest, as most are deleted and the farmers us roundup ,a lot.... So next time ya see one of those make money adds on roundup call us , don't go to the Midwest. Or any farming area,,, stay in bubble, as most crops are roundup ready... So next time you eat, think about it has probably been sprayed with roundup multiple times as it was growing.. Lots of people with money, will buy new before emissions stuff goes bad.. The rest don't talk about it and the cost of the repair. Read on all the diesel pushers having problems with there DEF pumps and such. Yalllll have a great day.
Closed Thread