Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Equal-I-Zer hitch, more washers make it impossible to hitch

I've towed successfully with the 10k equal-i-zer and my nissan titan. I had it setup perfectly. Then I got a new truck, Ram 2500, and a trailer that sits higher. Now I find it extremely difficult to hitch and unhitch. The more spacer washers I use the more difficult or impossible it is. I currently am using only a single washer and it's still challenging to get the coupler engaged and even more difficult to get it off. I've moved the L bar brackets as far up as I can. The arms are not even remotely parallel to the frame now but it's the only way I can get enough weight distribution without the use of more washers.
I am using the equal-i-zer grease on the hitch ball.

Is there any way to use more washers and make it easier to couple/decouple?
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #2

Pictures Please !!!!
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #3

You can't move the shank up or down, flip over if necessary ?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #4

I kinda ran into this issue on an old rig that I had. I could not easily get it unhooked and often times had to give it a good kick. I never figured it out before I traded it in.

I will be watching this thread as I too would like to understand what the issue was.

Thanks for posting this question.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
You can't move the shank up or down, flip over if necessary ?
The shank is fine. The trailer is level. And I have plenty of room for adjustment which I have tested on different positions in order to keep the trailer level.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #6

So are you having a problem getting the bars up onto the L brackets?
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #7

No, the bars are fine. Its getting the coupler to lock on the ball thats the problem.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #8

Agian...I had kinda the same issue. I had to be really careful not to be too far forward or too far back. I was use to hooking up a boat which was much more forgiving.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
No, the bars are fine. Its getting the coupler to lock on the ball thats the problem.
Oh, that's odd. I never had that problem with my equalizer hitch. I wonder if there is any adjustment of the coupler itself?
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #10

Is this a new trailer ?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Is this a new trailer ?
yes.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #12

I found the issue though. The truck has to be perfectly aligned with the trailer or it won't couple.
My driveway isn't a rectangle. One side is straight but the other side with the trailer is only straight half way. And then it cuts inward. The trailer sits in the straight part of that section. So typically I have the truck matching the angle of the driveway when hitching up so that it will stay on the driveway. Maybe a 30 degree angle to the trailer
Today I backed it straight up and in so one side of the truck was on the driveway and the other side was sitting in some rocks just off the driveway but this kept the truck straight in relation to the trailer. The driveway does slope down slightly in that direction.

Anyways, it coupled right up super easy with 5 washers. I have good weight distribution and the trailer sits nose down about half an inch. Maybe less.

However, the bars are not parallel to the frame of the trailer at all. If I move the L brackets down 1 notch I don’t have enough weight distribution but the bars would be parallel to the frame. And if I add a 6th washer then the coupler will not latch at all.

How critical is it that the bars be parallel to the trailer frame?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #13

Just my thinking here, but what does the number of spacer washers have to do the hitch coupler latching ???? It should just effect the head angle relating to your WDH bars.

I'm i thinking correctly ?????
Old 07-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #14

It changes the angle of the ball inside the coupler. More angle makes it more difficult for the latch to get underneath the ball while it's insider the coupler.
I don't know. It's just how it is.