Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 06:25 AM   #43

The manual is specific:
Trailer Towing
General Towing Information {Warning Never tow a trailer with your vehicle. It was not designed or intended to tow a trailer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 07:23 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteva View Post
The manual is specific:
Trailer Towing
General Towing Information {Warning Never tow a trailer with your vehicle. It was not designed or intended to tow a trailer.
An F-150 PowerBoost? What manual are you referring to?
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:08 AM   #45
Community Moderator

EV Driver Looking to Tow a Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
An F-150 PowerBoost? What manual are you referring to?

The Chevy Bolt EV the OP said he was going to tow with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9845.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	353696
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:29 AM   #46

https://automotivemap.com/electric-v...#rebelltitem12

No Chevy’s on this list.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:00 AM   #47

There is almost assuredly some people who have placed multiple truck orders as speculative investments. When their number comes up they buy the rig and then it in the resale market for a profit should the right market conditions exist. Should the market be soft they just pass on the purchase and maybe lose a small deposit. Basically a lesson in automobile arbitrage.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #48

Good morning Devinthorpe. I finally had a couple minutes to find the pics I was looking for.

The first is the Sylvan Go. We see these behind various EV's up here including Leafs and Audis and Teslas. Around 800 pounds empty. We watched one being set up once. Maybe 15 minutes. The first pic is set up. The other two are collapsed and hooked up to a model Y Tesla.

[/url]

This next one is about 550 pounds loaded. We toured all over the southwest with this little rig about 12 years ago. Way fun. Maybe 10 minute setup. Its a motorcycle trailer. Lots of good memories. Its a timeout trailer. https://www.timeouttrailers.org/

These ideas might keep you going until your e-truck arrives. If you like adventure and feel young at heart these kind of rigs are a blast. We found most places let us stay in the tenting areas. Really nice...and quiet.

I would take the time to reach out to the Bolt owners who are towing and see where they got their hitchwork done. And I think etrailer.com might be helpful too.

Good luck and have fun.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:09 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Chevy sells a hitch for the bolt which clearly states NOT FOR TOWING. It is for bike racks.
You can’t tow with a bolt.
A bolt isn’t designed to tow anything. Nothing should be hitched to a bolt.
No puedes remolcar con un perno.
你不能用螺栓拖曳
Du kannst nicht mit einem Bolzen schleppen
Вы не можете буксировать болтом

By the way, not one word of this is Greek.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:15 PM   #50

I'm no fan of Elon for a few unrelated reasons, but to say that he's selling his shares because he isn't confident in the company is complete nonsense.

He has been given stock options by the board of directors that have expiration dates if they aren't exercised. But by exercising them, they are counted as income and comes with a large tax bill. He sold a bunch of the shares to pay that tax bill. Nothing funny business about it, just pure business.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
I'm no fan of Elon for a few unrelated reasons, but to say that he's selling his shares because he isn't confident in the company is complete nonsense.

He has been given stock options by the board of directors that have expiration dates if they aren't exercised. But by exercising them, they are counted as income and comes with a large tax bill. He sold a bunch of the shares to pay that tax bill. Nothing funny business about it, just pure business.
Elon has more shares in Tesla now than he did before his selling spree to pay his taxes. But that’s not as fun of a story. .
Old 01-13-2022, 03:27 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Chevy sells a hitch for the bolt which clearly states NOT FOR TOWING. It is for bike racks.
You can’t tow with a bolt.
A bolt isn’t designed to tow anything. Nothing should be hitched to a bolt.
No puedes remolcar con un perno.
你不能用螺栓拖曳
Du kannst nicht mit einem Bolzen schleppen
Вы не можете буксировать болтом

By the way, not one word of this is Greek.
A bolt has no tow rating.

Lots of people tow with bolts. Go figure. .

https://torkliftcentral.com/2017-202...-bolt-ecohitch
Old 01-13-2022, 03:38 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
A bolt has no tow rating.

Lots of people tow with bolts. Go figure. .

https://torkliftcentral.com/2017-202...-bolt-ecohitch
I see people tow with a Smart, diesel at that! I also see some towing with a Miata, Corvette and other weird cars. Doing it doesn't mean it's a good or wise choice.

I guess the O.P. can challenge GM should a spendy warranty issue pop up because of this.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I see people tow with a Smart, diesel at that! I also see some towing with a Miata, Corvette and other weird cars. Doing it doesn't mean it's a good or wise choice.

I guess the O.P. can challenge GM should a spendy warranty issue pop up because of this.
Agreed. If one decides to add a hitch to a vehicle one should consider getting a properly engineered hitch and then take it to a shop specialized in aftermarket mods.

Cheers.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:43 PM   #55

@radar thanks for sharing these great photos. We've been paying attention to the Sylvan trailer but the Timeout Trailer is completely new to us. Thank you so much! Big help!!!
devinthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinthorpe View Post
@radar thanks for sharing these great photos. We've been paying attention to the Sylvan trailer but the Timeout Trailer is completely new to us. Thank you so much! Big help!!!
Happy to help. Have fun with the search.

Tags
driver, tow, trailer