Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2022, 08:17 PM   #1

EV Driver Looking to Tow a Trailer

I'm excited to be here. My wife and I are serious about joining the RV community. We've pre-ordered three EV trucks to tow a nice travel trailer but we won't get one until mid-to-late 2023. So, we're exploring the possibility of towing a little pop-up trailer with our old Chevy Bolt EV.
devinthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #2

[moderator edit]

What does your Chevy Volt manual say in regards to towing?
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:59 AM   #3

Seems unlikely.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:09 AM   #4

I am thinking you will need an ICE powered vehicle to get the needed range and towing capacity. As has already been said check the owners manual. I would also be questioning the range of an EV pickup and recharge facility requirements when towing. If the pickup you get needs a specific recharge station how are you going to find that in a campground or when boon docking ? Just questions I would be asking I guess.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:25 AM   #5

The Chevy Volt only had like a 50 mile battery range before it kicked into ICE mode.

Assuming it could be done, putting a trailer behind it, even a simple popup, I suspect that drops to 20 mile range.

Why would you want to do this? Definitely for local camping. I don't think the Volt had a large enough gas tank to give it much ICE-mode range.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:34 AM   #6

devinthorpe-

Welcome to iRV2! I hope you find this site provides the help and information you seek.

As others have said, the Chevy Bolt EV manual for your car's model year is the place to look for trailer towing capabilities/restrictions. Here is a link to Chevrolet's owner's manual web site. Here is a link to the "Trailer Towing" section in the 2020 Bolt EV manual. This section may be different in manuals for other model years.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:40 AM   #7

He said Chevy BOLT no ICE in bolt it’s all electric and very small. Up to the 2021 model that vehicle is not rated for towing. Chevy says the tow capacity is zero but you can buy a aftermarket hitch with 2000 pound tow rating
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Why three ev trucks to tow a trailer? Are you thinking about spacing them out along your route to reduce travel time waiting for full charges?
Old 01-12-2022, 09:05 AM   #9

Not sure what year Bolt and if EV or EUV model, but none are designed for towing anything, and I would NOT recommend it. You could possibly void your warranty too. Suspension, brakes, nothing is designed for excess load.

If you were talking a 100lb popup deal like what some motorcycles are hauling, that "might" be feasible, but I doubt you're referring to that.

We have a Bolt EUV on order, and we definitely wont use it for anything other than commuting.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:18 AM   #10

There are people at the Airstream forum towing with EVs and there are hundreds of posts about it on several very active threads: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/

I agree with the others you won't be towing anything bigger than a wheel barrow with a Bolt and I am also curious why 3 trucks?

edit: according to some sources the Bolt can tow 2,000-2,500 lbs: https://www.vehiclehistory.com/quest...apacity-115487
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:42 AM   #11

We have seen Bolts and Leafs towing little utility trailers here so obviously there is an aftermarket hitch available.

The Sylvan go weighs about 950 lbs. might work. Here is a link.

https://sylvansport.com/go-camping-trailer/

My guess is he has ordered three different trucks and will decide on one when they become available. We know a few people who have a reservation for a Rivian, a Cybertruck and a Ford Lightning.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #12

I just watched a segment on a YouTube station where they tested a new Jeep Wrangler with the electric/gas dual mix while going off road. The electric portion of the vehicle… only made it for approximately 18% of what the electric portion said it was capable/available to use.

Over an 80% loss of capacity/range when they were putting the vehicle under a load. (Like extreme off roading). It makes you think what the real world range of a EV truck will be when towing a trailer… which is also as strenuous on the vehicle.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinthorpe View Post
I'm excited to be here. My wife and I are serious about joining the RV community. We've pre-ordered three EV trucks to tow a nice travel trailer but we won't get one until mid-to-late 2023. So, we're exploring the possibility of towing a little pop-up trailer with our old Chevy Bolt EV.
Is this some sort of joke?...
April 1st is a ways off still.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Is this some sort of joke?...
April 1st is a ways off still.
Why do you think it’s a joke? Not much of a welcome to the forum.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, tow, trailer